• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    The program is stopped but the law never changed to stop requiring the spent shells.

MSP doesn't do anything with them other than throw them in a barrel and forget about them.

All the funding for the program has been cut off.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The program is stopped but the law never changed to stop requiring the spent shells.

MSP doesn't do anything with them other than throw them in a barrel and forget about them.

All the funding for the program has been cut off.

Great. :sad20:

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Yet the consumer continues to get screwed. Buy a gun like a Sig or another gun that doesn't come with a shell from the importer, have it sent to a MD FFL and you have to pay that FFL to pop off a shell so MSP can throw it in the shit can. Some charge as much as 40 bucks for this "service". Gun shops aren't gonna complain, they make easy money doing this.

Utter ridiculousness-------MD blows.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Yet the consumer continues to get screwed. Buy a gun like a Sig or another gun that doesn't come with a shell from the importer, have it sent to a MD FFL and you have to pay that FFL to pop off a shell so MSP can throw it in the shit can. Some charge as much as 40 bucks for this "service". Gun shops aren't gonna complain, they make easy money doing this.

Utter ridiculousness-------MD blows.

Ask that shop how much it costs to maintain that ATF license. It costs several thousand dollars per year. They must also deal with State Department BS.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    No kidding...defunded, a defacto non-enforceable law, yet consumers are still encumbered on any handgun purchase coming from out of state. Firearm manufacturers are encumbered in that they need to provide that spent shell.

Common sense would say remove the neutered code from the books.

:lol: Ha ha ha........he said "common sense"! That's a book by Thomas Paine; no relationship to Maryland laws.:innocent0! That's a book by Thomas Paine, nothing to do with Maryland laws :sad20:

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Ask that shop how much it costs to maintain that ATF license. It costs several thousand dollars per year. They must also deal with State Department BS.

Exactly. we have yet to make our money back for ours. we got the 07 FFL so we could actually get more guns for our customers...

And on the original topic, there are many distributors who will not ship to MD because of our idiotic laws, and thus it is harder sometimes to get a gun for a customer. This doesn't increase the price so much as it A) Makes customers wait until we can find a hard to get gun from some place that WILL ship to MD, and B) Costs US time and effort to get the gun the customer wants!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Exactly. we have yet to make our money back for ours. we got the 07 FFL so we could actually get more guns for our customers...

And on the original topic, there are many distributors who will not ship to MD because of our idiotic laws, and thus it is harder sometimes to get a gun for a customer. This doesn't increase the price so much as it A) Makes customers wait until we can find a hard to get gun from some place that WILL ship to MD, and B) Costs US time and effort to get the gun the customer wants!

I do not know what shop you are involved with, doesn't matter really, but have you talked with some of the out of state shops, like the PA IP's here, about using them as a "shell" to get certain guns?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To the extent that the forces of evil actuly think , they are playing chicken with us. If it becomes so absurd that *we* actulay reopen ( fired shell , assult weapon defination , magzine regs , whatever ) in the legeslature , they will be glad to "simplify" : to make no possability of those guns coming in , to simply ban possesion of 20+rd mags , to make ALL those sorta evil looking rifles regulated , etc.

Ambigiously in our favor can be better than definativly against us.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    To the extent that the forces of evil actuly think , they are playing chicken with us. If it becomes so absurd that *we* actulay reopen ( fired shell , assult weapon defination , magzine regs , whatever ) in the legeslature , they will be glad to "simplify" : to make no possability of those guns coming in , to simply ban possesion of 20+rd mags , to make ALL those sorta evil looking rifles regulated , etc.

Ambigiously in our favor can be better than definativly against us.

I was told that there is a rifle on the regulated gun list that doesn't exist. Someone writing the original regulated gun bill screwed up a gun designation and because of that, there is a rifle that is cash and carry rather than regulated.

As said before, we are better off compared to several other states but we must never relax. The anti's would love to shove the CA and NY or NJ style laws down our throats.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    No kidding...defunded, a defacto non-enforceable law, yet consumers are still encumbered on any handgun purchase coming from out of state. Firearm manufacturers are encumbered in that they need to provide that spent shell.

Common sense would say remove the neutered code from the books.

But, that is defacto 'common sense and under-the-radar gun control' ... make the manufacture, sale, and purchase more expensive and cumbersome so less companies will will comply and buyers won't go the extra expense of having a retailer perform the task for them.

The Gun Shop charged me $30 to produce a spent shell for a Hi-Point 9C (no comments from the peanut gallery :o), but that illustrates my point. If a 'low-cost' firearm manufacturer catering to a clientele who can't afford much more than $179 for a home protection handgun, they just don't buy.

And NOW it doesn't cost the state a cent to take 100's of cheap handguns off of the street ... in the neighborhoods where they're probably needed the most. Now THAT's discriminatory.

Some enterprising 2A group ought to point that out in the form of a pro-bono lawsuit against the PRofMD.

I'm writng to Emily. :mad54:

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    And NOW it doesn't cost the state a cent to take 100's of cheap handguns off of the street ... in the neighborhoods where they're probably needed the most. Now THAT's discriminatory.

Some enterprising 2A group ought to point that out in the form of a pro-bono lawsuit against the PRofMD.

I'm writng to Emily. :mad54:

I have been waiting for someone to use a financially distressed person as a plaintiff in a case against the handgun board. I guess there are just enough "budget" guns allowed to avoid a lawsuit.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I have been waiting for someone to use a financially distressed person as a plaintiff in a case against the handgun board. I guess there are just enough "budget" guns allowed to avoid a lawsuit.

Hi-Point is 'allowed', they just don't provide a casing ... and you don't get any more budget than a Hi-Point.

I just commented on Emily's column.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So, Maryland tosses how many of these spent casings into a barrel every year? What do they do with said barrel? Turn it in for the value of scrap metal and they get how much money from that? Maybe they can fix the state budget if they sold the spent cases for scrap or to reloaders... :sarcasm:

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    So, Maryland tosses how many of these spent casings into a barrel every year? What do they do with said barrel? Turn it in for the value of scrap metal and they get how much money from that? Maybe they can fix the state budget if they sold the spent cases for scrap or to reloaders... :sarcasm:

No they keep them in case the technology to ever catalog them becomes available. Its their excuse to the legislature every year to keep the requirement of spent shell cases. Pipe dreams!

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Disgusting, more MD waste and fraud.

The micro-stamping effort is a joke. Takes a criminal only a few minutes to pull the pin, scrape it against a cement sidewalk or a brick wall, and mangle the imprint. Absolutely pointless, when law enforcement would still have to 1) find the gun, 2) find the perp, 3) prove the perp used the gun. Unless they are looking to get convictions against firing pins, and let the criminals go free?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Let's face it folks...

The entire purpose of "Merryland"s Spent Shell Casing law"...

Was never about catching bad guys...

It was only about making it harder & more expensive & more time consuming for Merrylander's to buy hand guns...

The only way we can change gun laws is by electing new representatives who are Conservative by Nature & Pro Gun by Choice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom