• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I just received an email from Delegate Carolyn J. B. Howard, Prince George co

I responded back to her email that I know know how the process works but what I wanted was Her stand against the Bill. I gave my phone number and within 15 mins she called me.
    We spoke for 10 mins and she said she had no opinion of the bill as of now because the Bill was not wrote and she did not know what it would have in the bill.
    She also stated she had introduced a bill to review what other states were recommending.
    She said she didn't think any bill as it is now would make it to a vote.
    I told her she had to have an opinion on Gun Legislation in Maryland. That the Laws in Maryland are some of the toughest in the US and it had not reduced crime in any city or county in Maryland.

At least she made an effort and took time out of her day to call.
    Her email is first and then mine at the bottom. I do believe i hit a sore spot.

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion. I know your time is valuable and your opinion is very important to me. I consider all of the data available to me as I review bills and in my deliberations and votes in the House Standing Committee, Ways and Means.

Standing Committees are the backbone of the legislative process. These committees make recommendations on nearly all proposals brought before the General Assembly, except local legislation which usually is handled by the select committees.

Each legislator is appointed by the presiding officer to one principal standing committee. There are six standing committees in the House of Delegates who consider all statewide legislation. These committees hold hearings on proposed legislation and recommend to the General Assembly which legislation should pass and which should fail. Amendments may be considered prior to passage. Standing committees are the most significant to the legislative process.

Detailed information regarding the legislative process is available on the Maryland General Assembly Website. (URL http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home) Standing committee information can be found in "Your Voice in Annapolis," found by clicking the Legislative Services tab on the Maryland General Assembly's Homepage.

I commend you for taking the time to express your position. Citizen participation is a vital part of our democratic process.

Delegate Carolyn J. B. Howard
    Deputy Speaker Pro Tem
    Legislative District 24
    Room 301
    Lowe House Office Building
    Annapolis, Maryland 21401
    301 858-3919; 410 841-3919 (T)
    301 858-3925; 410 841-3925 (F)

My email,
    Alright so now you have informed Me of the process!
    What you have not done is told me where you stand for or against this SB!

What you as a Delegate were elected to do is represent the people. You also have a stand or an opinion. You will have to vote on this BILL at some point. What are the emails and letters from you constitutions asking you to do.

HOW will you vote on this bill?

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Just sent this off to the senate
    We The People have shown we overwhelming oppose SB281 and ask you to do the same. We are Democracts, Republicans, and Independs and we also VOTE and will remember how you voted when we take to the polls in 2014. Don't "take your chances" as Mr. Frosh stated at the hearing on Feb. 6th. The people have spoken, OPPOSE SB281!!!
    Thank You

Recieved a reply for Nancy Jacobs in less then 5 minutes

tomgreco

Ammo addict
    Sep 17, 2009
    Indian Head, MD
    Sally Jameson is very busy on Friday:

Unfortunately, Delegate Jameson’s schedule for this Friday, March 1st is very overloaded. I am sorry. Is there another day that would work for you?

Cheryl Campbell

Legislative Aide to Delegate Sally Y. Jameson

Chairperson - Southern Maryland Delegation

Chairperson - Charles County Delegation

427 Lowe House Building

Annapolis, MD 21401

410-841-3229/-3337 or 301-858-3229/3337

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Thank you for your e-mail on gun control legislation. I do not support the Firearm Safety Act of 2013. I will continue to fight for our 2nd Amendment rights and work to ensure that those with mental illness issues are not permitted gun access. This year I have introduced legislation similar to Virginia's for carry permits, mental evaluations, and reporting. If passed, the bill (HB 211) will reduce the waiting period for a gun permit to 45 days. It will also prohibit individuals who suffer from a mental disorder from possessing a firearm.

I encourage you to attend the gun rights rally on March 5th at 11am in Annapolis and to consider testifying at the gun bill hearings taking place in the House Judiciary Committee the same day at 1pm. It makes a difference if you testify and, if you are able to do so, please follow the information provided below.

Go to http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home. On the home page under the photo you will see a drop-down box entitled, "My Broad Subject." Click the arrow and scroll down to "Public Safety (E4)" to find a listing of all gun-related bills and their hearing dates. You can visit http://dls.state.md.us/Content.aspx?page=31 for more specific information on the process of testifying.

Please feel free to contact me with your concerns and questions in the future.

Thank you,

Delegate Cathy Vitale
    Anne Arundel County, District 33A
    Lowe House Office Building
    6 Bladen Street, Room 154
    Annapolis, MD 21401

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun control. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

I am horrified by gun violence in our country. The shooting that occurred on December 14th in Newtown, Connecticut - the murder of 20 sweet, innocent children and the six adults who died protecting them - is an unthinkable, terrible tragedy. I join with all Americans during this tragic time in extending my deepest condolences to these victims' families, who are facing an incredible amount of grief and heartache.

Now more than ever, we need to work together to make sure another tragedy like this never happens again. I support the Second Amendment rights of gun owners. I also believe that we can take steps to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those with mental illnesses without infringing on the right of law-abiding citizens to buy firearms.

That is why I believe that we must take a substantive look at various proposals to strengthen background checks and get assault weapons off our streets. This includes reinstating the Assault Weapons Ban and limiting the use of high capacity ammunition. I have also continually supported extending required background checks at gun shows to help keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals. Your views will be helpful to me as we further consider this issue.

While we need to look at gun control, I believe we must also look at the mental health issues that plague our nation. We need to make sure that people have access to the services they need. As a senior member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, I fought for over ten years to get mental health parity passed so that all Americans suffering from mental illness could have access to the treatments they need. We also need to find better ways to treat, or even cure, mental illnesses. That's why I am such a strong supporter of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). I will continue to fight to improve and expand mental health services.

Again, thanks for getting in touch with me about this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Looks like my representatives in District 15 are ignoring me now. Faxes and emails have been unanswered for over a week. No matter, they'll pay next November.

Walker

Nov 16, 2012
    Somerset County
    Just recieved this email from my old mayor Delegate McDermott:

Dear Fellow Citizen and Patriot,

Thank you for your input. For the record, I will be voting against HB294/SB281 and any other bill which limits your Second Amendment rights. The easiest political solution in response to the murderous rampage in Connecticut would be to point the finger at something...anything...and ban it to the abyss. We could then pronounce our children to be “safe” and accept the kudos for our “success”. Politics as usual.

We have thousands of gun laws obeyed by our good citizens while ignored by criminals. Most of our mass shootings have been perpetrated by those suffering from mental illness who were not armed with “assault rifles”. The massacre at Virginia Tech involved a handgun and resulted in significantly more victims.

In order to solve the problem, let’s begin by confessing that we cannot stop it from happening again. We cannot fix all the sick, broken people determined to do others and themselves harm.

However, we can harden the target and limit our vulnerabilities if we become aggressive in our response to potential threats. There are school districts in our country which have adopted a proactive approach to security threats. Within their schools are certain staffers (known only to the administration) who carry concealed firearms. These trained individuals are designated as “Guardians” and they represent a vigilant line of defense for those we must protect. Like Sky Marshals, School Guardians remain behind the scenes unknown to all, but prepared nonetheless.

We can opt to provide less lethal technology, such as Tasers, to select staff within our schools. While their effective range is limited, they could provide a line of defense for those who currently have nothing at their disposal. This would require minimal expense and training and could be in place within a matter of weeks.

How I wish one or more of the staff at Sandy Hook Elementary had been a “Guardian” or equipped with a Taser. How differently might the outcome have been.

We must change the way that we view mental health issues and options in our country. We closed the doors on institutions during the 1980’s only to provide no alternatives. The results surround us and it is politically incorrect to even discuss the issues. If we see conduct or actions that place our society at an undue risk, the liberty of those individuals should be in jeopardy. We recognize this when it comes to passenger aircraft, and it is time we recognized it outside of the airports as well.

Preparing our children to take their place in civil society is the responsibility of parents.There are some who advocate taking certain guns from responsible citizens while simultaneously letting junior play the most hellish video games available night and day. What’s wrong with that picture? Training a child is the toughest, most important job if we are to preserve a civil society for the coming generation. In this, we must hold each other accountable. We must stop subsidizing and making excuses for antisocial behavior.

I have introduced legislation this session that, if passed, will:
    Authorize a Maryland School District to implement a “Guardian” program - HB 395
    Authorize a Maryland School District to issue Electronic Control Devices to select personnel within a school - HB 394
    Authorize persons with Conceal-Carry Permits, along with Active or Retired Law Enforcement Officers (who are certified to possess firearms), to carry a concealed firearm on the campus of a public school - HB 397

It was Benjamin Franklin who proclaimed, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Let us be a people who truly understand how to provide safety while maintaining our liberty.

Godspeed,
    Mike McDermott, Delegate
    Worcester and Wicomico Counties

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    February 13, 2013

Dear Fellow Supporter of the Second Amendment and the Constitution:

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. As a fellow gun owner, I strongly support your position and pledge to put up a good fight to defend our rights.

The liberal super-majority will be working hard to push through their gun-grabbing legislation. I need all the help I can get!

Please contact the Governor at 410-974-3901 or Governor.mail@Maryland.gov; the Chairman of the House of Delegates Judiciary Committee, Joseph Vallario at 410-841-3488,

301-858-3488, or Joseph.Vallario@house.state.md.us; and the Chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, Brian Frosh 410-841-3124, 301-858-3124, or Brian.Frosh@senate.state.md.us. Encourage your family, friends and associates to get to work because this is going to be a tough battle.

I am building a database of concerned citizens. Please have your acquaintances contact my office and provide their mailing and e-mail addresses.

Once again, we must stand together. I will be providing you with more information in the future.

Pat McDonough
    Your Delegate
    410-841-3334

P.S. I most recently send the following letter to Delegate Frosh, Chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee and Delegate Joseph F. Vallario, Jr., Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee:

Dear Chairman Frosh,

A number of constituents have expressed concern regarding the agenda for future hearings on capital punishment and gun issues. Citizens have mentioned that in the past when hearings related to key issues were held, those who were testifying in opposition to the Governor and legislative leadership positions were required to speak last. This process has been especially difficult for senior citizens and families with children who, at times, had to wait later into the evening.

I would respectfully request that the hearing schedule be maintained in such a way that a proponent and opponent share the timetable by speaking alternately.

Thank you for any cooperation you can provide.
    Sincerely,
    Pat McDonough

News Release --- For Immediate Release (2/8/13):

There is a Gun Violence Bill That Hits the Target
    There is a gun violence bill that actually saves lives and reduces crime,
    There is a gun violence bill that the Governor and other politicians in Annapolis will not support, although it is a real solution,
    There is a gun violence bill that will protect lives, save the taxpayers’ money, and promote public safety,

There is a gun violence bill that highlights the outrageous policies of the Governor and in his persistent agenda to provide early release for violent gun criminals,
    There is a gun violence bill that the media and press refuse to acknowledge while, at the same time, engage in overkill coverage of the Governor’s proposal which does nothing except burden law-abiding citizens.

House Bill 424 – Criminal Gun Control Act – is an honest solution to serious gun violence. There were 195 gun murders in Baltimore City last year. Seventy percent were committed by convicted felons. Forty percent of the murderers were felons convicted of previous gun crimes. Maryland has the second highest robbery rate committed by guns in the nation. Ninety-seven percent are by previously convicted criminals. House Bill 424 by Delegate Pat McDonough would prohibit any form of early release of a person convicted of a violent gun crime and not permit plea bargaining. The 800 pound gorilla in the room on the gun violence controversy is the fat that politicians in Annapolis are criminal friendly and refuse to support an honest gun bill that actually saves lives. The gun violence solution is House Bill 424.

For further information or interview, contact Delegate Pat McDonough at 410-841-3334,cell: 410-303-8864, or Pat.McDonough@house.state.md.us

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Thank you for contacting my office with your concerns on gun control.
    The overwhelming consensus from my constituents on this issue is that I support our Second Amendment rights by voting against legislation to further restrict gun ownership.
    I have always supported the right to bear arms, and as tragic and emotional as Sandy Hook, and other such incidents have been, I do not believe that additional gun laws are the answer to eliminating such violence.
    My goal is to develop legislation which is effective in eliminating today’s current problems.
    As with most emotionally backed issues, both sides will provide challenging arguments. I will encourage discussion on areas such as:
    • tightening pre-gun purchase checks
    • additional mental health funding; screening in schools and society at large.
    • addressing violence in our society such as; T.V., movies, internet, video games.
    • school building security
    I appreciate knowing of your support on this front, and I will do my best to voice your views and uphold your constitutional choice for the right to bear arms.

Sincerely,
    Ed Reilly
    Maryland State Senator, District 33
    410-841-3568

cmulligan80

Feb 5, 2013
    Rockville
    February 13, 2013

Dear Fellow Supporter of the Second Amendment and the Constitution:

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. As a fellow gun owner, I strongly support your position and pledge to put up a good fight to defend our rights.

The liberal super-majority will be working hard to push through their gun-grabbing legislation. I need all the help I can get!

Please contact the Governor at 410-974-3901 or Governor.mail@Maryland.gov; the Chairman of the House of Delegates Judiciary Committee, Joseph Vallario at 410-841-3488,

301-858-3488, or Joseph.Vallario@house.state.md.us; and the Chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, Brian Frosh 410-841-3124, 301-858-3124, or Brian.Frosh@senate.state.md.us. Encourage your family, friends and associates to get to work because this is going to be a tough battle.

I am building a database of concerned citizens. Please have your acquaintances contact my office and provide their mailing and e-mail addresses.

Once again, we must stand together. I will be providing you with more information in the future.

Pat McDonough

Your Delegate

410-841-3334

P.S. I most recently send the following letter to Delegate Frosh, Chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee and Delegate Joseph F. Vallario, Jr., Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee:

Dear Chairman Frosh,

A number of constituents have expressed concern regarding the agenda for future hearings on capital punishment and gun issues. Citizens have mentioned that in the past when hearings related to key issues were held, those who were testifying in opposition to the Governor and legislative leadership positions were required to speak last. This process has been especially difficult for senior citizens and families with children who, at times, had to wait later into the evening.

I would respectfully request that the hearing schedule be maintained in such a way that a proponent and opponent share the timetable by speaking alternately.

Thank you for any cooperation you can provide.

Sincerely,

Pat McDonough

News Release --- For Immediate Release (2/8/13):

There is a Gun Violence Bill That Hits the Target

There is a gun violence bill that actually saves lives and reduces crime,

There is a gun violence bill that the Governor and other politicians in Annapolis will not support,

although it is a real solution,

There is a gun violence bill that will protect lives, save the taxpayers’ money, and promote

public safety,

There is a gun violence bill that highlights the outrageous policies of the Governor and in his

persistent agenda to provide early release for violent gun criminals,

There is a gun violence bill that the media and press refuse to acknowledge while, at the same

time, engage in overkill coverage of the Governor’s proposal which

does nothing except burden law-abiding citizens.

House Bill 424 – Criminal Gun Control Act – is an honest solution to serious gun violence. There were 195 gun murders in Baltimore City last year. Seventy percent were committed by convicted felons. Forty percent of the murderers were felons convicted of previous gun crimes. Maryland has the second highest robbery rate committed by guns in the nation. Ninety-seven percent are by previously convicted criminals. House Bill 424 by Delegate Pat McDonough would prohibit any form of early release of a person convicted of a violent gun crime and not permit plea bargaining. The 800 pound gorilla in the room on the gun violence controversy is the fat that politicians in Annapolis are criminal friendly and refuse to support an honest gun bill that actually saves lives. The gun violence solution is House Bill 424.

For further information or interview, contact Delegate Pat McDonough at 410-841-3334,

cell: 410-303-8864, or Pat.McDonough@house.state.md.us

###

cmulligan80

Feb 5, 2013
    Rockville
    Thank you for your input. For the record, I will be voting against HB294/SB281 and any other bill which limits your Second Amendment rights. The easiest political solution in response to the murderous rampage in Connecticut would be to point the finger at something...anything...and ban it to the abyss. We could then pronounce our children to be “safe” and accept the kudos for our “success”. Politics as usual.

We have thousands of gun laws obeyed by our good citizens while ignored by criminals. Most of our mass shootings have been perpetrated by those suffering from mental illness who were not armed with “assault rifles”. The massacre at Virginia Tech involved a handgun and resulted in significantly more victims.

In order to solve the problem, let’s begin by confessing that we cannot stop it from happening again. We cannot fix all the sick, broken people determined to do others and themselves harm.

However, we can harden the target and limit our vulnerabilities if we become aggressive in our response to potential threats. There are school districts in our country which have adopted a proactive approach to security threats. Within their schools are certain staffers (known only to the administration) who carry concealed firearms. These trained individuals are designated as “Guardians” and they represent a vigilant line of defense for those we must protect. Like Sky Marshals, School Guardians remain behind the scenes unknown to all, but prepared nonetheless.

We can opt to provide less lethal technology, such as Tasers, to select staff within our schools. While their effective range is limited, they could provide a line of defense for those who currently have nothing at their disposal. This would require minimal expense and training and could be in place within a matter of weeks.

How I wish one or more of the staff at Sandy Hook Elementary had been a “Guardian” or equipped with a Taser. How differently might the outcome have been.

We must change the way that we view mental health issues and options in our country. We closed the doors on institutions during the 1980’s only to provide no alternatives. The results surround us and it is politically incorrect to even discuss the issues. If we see conduct or actions that place our society at an undue risk, the liberty of those individuals should be in jeopardy. We recognize this when it comes to passenger aircraft, and it is time we recognized it outside of the airports as well.

Preparing our children to take their place in civil society is the responsibility of parents.There are some who advocate taking certain guns from responsible citizens while simultaneously letting junior play the most hellish video games available night and day. What’s wrong with that picture? Training a child is the toughest, most important job if we are to preserve a civil society for the coming generation. In this, we must hold each other accountable. We must stop subsidizing and making excuses for antisocial behavior.

I have introduced legislation this session that, if passed, will:
    Authorize a Maryland School District to implement a “Guardian” program - HB 395
    Authorize a Maryland School District to issue Electronic Control Devices to select personnel within a school - HB 394
    Authorize persons with Conceal-Carry Permits, along with Active or Retired Law Enforcement Officers (who are certified to possess firearms), to carry a concealed firearm on the campus of a public school - HB 397

It was Benjamin Franklin who proclaimed, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Let us be a people who truly understand how to provide safety while maintaining our liberty.

Godspeed,
    Mike McDermott, Delegate
    Worcester and Wicomico Counties

Visit my website or connect with me on Facebook or Twitter by following the links below:

Website Facebook Twitter

cmulligan80

Feb 5, 2013
    Rockville
    Here a noncommittal response. If you in AACo, you may want to let her know your stance on this.

Thank you for your message concerning your views on gun rights and limitations on the purchase of semi-automatic guns. I appreciate your writing to me.

Any bills on gun control or laws to protect our citizens are usually referred to the Judiciary Committee and I am not assigned to that committee. (I serve on Economic Matters.) These bills will be scheduled for a hearing and I am sure that you will let your Delegates on that Committee know of your feelings.

If measures are voted out of the Committee, they will be heard and debated on the floor of the House of Delegates. Often bills are amended from the language as first submitted. I will listen closely to the debates before making my decision and casting my vote.

Thank you again for writing to me on this important matter.

Delegate Mary Ann Love
    District 32 Anne Arundel County
    6 Bladen St. Room 165
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410)841 -3511

cmulligan80

Feb 5, 2013
    Rockville
    From Hammen district 46.

Dear Chris:

Thank you for contacting me to express your stance on gun control. I appreciate hearing your views on this important issue.

As a member of the Gun Control Workgroup, I am addressing this issue with the utmost resolve and diligence. Moreover, as Chair of the Health and Government Operations Committee, my primary focus and responsibility are to the mental health aspects of public safety. I will be mindful of your concerns and respectful of the Constitution as we work out the best possible legislation this session.

I appreciate your advocacy and the time you have taken to share your thoughts with me. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Pete

Peter A. Hammen
    Delegate, District 46

cmulligan80

Feb 5, 2013
    Rockville
    Delegate Mark Fisher wrote:

Dear Friend,

Thank you for your email concerning new Gun Control proposals in MD.

As you know, the Governor and the folks who control Annapolis intend to infringe upon your constitutional freedoms once again. Maryland already has some of the strictest gun control laws in the United States.

Put simply, the folks who rule Annapolis are out of control.

I am a steadfast supporter of the 2nd Amendment. To that end, I look forward to working with you to preserve your rights to keep and bear arms.

Yours in service,

Mark

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun control. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

I am horrified by gun violence in our country. The shooting that occurred on December 14th in Newtown, Connecticut - the murder of 20 sweet, innocent children and the six adults who died protecting them - is an unthinkable, terrible tragedy. I join with all Americans during this tragic time in extending my deepest condolences to these victims' families, who are facing an incredible amount of grief and heartache.

Now more than ever, we need to work together to make sure another tragedy like this never happens again. I support the Second Amendment rights of gun owners. I also believe that we can take steps to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those with mental illnesses without infringing on the right of law-abiding citizens to buy firearms.

That is why I believe that we must take a substantive look at various proposals to strengthen background checks and get assault weapons off our streets. This includes reinstating the Assault Weapons Ban and limiting the use of high capacity ammunition. I have also continually supported extending required background checks at gun shows to help keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals. Your views will be helpful to me as we further consider this issue.

While we need to look at gun control, I believe we must also look at the mental health issues that plague our nation. We need to make sure that people have access to the services they need. As a senior member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, I fought for over ten years to get mental health parity passed so that all Americans suffering from mental illness could have access to the treatments they need. We also need to find better ways to treat, or even cure, mental illnesses. That's why I am such a strong supporter of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). I will continue to fight to improve and expand mental health services.

Again, thanks for getting in touch with me about this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Sincerely,
    Barbara A. Mikulski
    United States Senator

I think that I have received the same response 3 or 4 times. I got tired of trying to reason, so I told her that I didn't care what she believed, she was elected to support and enforce the Constitution and attached a copy of the Second Amendment, haven't had a response to date.

Mr H

Banana'd
    a new one
    Dear Constituents,

As many of you know, I was appointed to the prestigious Judiciary Committee. As a former military man and fighter for the constitution, I support our right to bear arms, and our right to carry.

Friday, my committee will be hearing House Bill 294 which is a bill that takes away some of our rights guaranteed to us by the US constitution. The opposition has the numbers to pass a bill. I will be working with all members to strike out the worst parts of the bill. I do plan to vote against the bill on the floor and I assure you that I will do everything in my power to support our right to bear arms.

Gun control does nothing to stop crime; actually an armed citizenry is the best deterrent to crime. If you have any questions or if I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to contact me any time. We are expecting 5000 people to testify on the bill.

Your Delegate and servant, Glen Glass

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    what I wrote today:

I am strongly opposed to any new gun legislation in this state. This state already has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. I find it nauseating that WE MARYLANDERS need to alter our laws for a tradgedy that took place in another state as horrible as that may be. Why don't you follow some other states and pass laws that FORBID the Federal gov't from targeting USA citizens for assassination without due process?!! If you really cared for our welllbeing, you would write and pass this ANTI-DUE PROCESS-ASSASSINATION legislation now!
    Let me inform you of the very reason for the 2nd Amendment: to keep the gov't honest and not tyrannical! It was not intended for hunting or sport. And the Supreme Court agrees. It was for defense of our persons: from enemies foreign & domestic as in the oath you took.
    By passing any new gun laws, you are in fact exemplifying the VERY reason the 2nd Amendment exists: you are becoming tyrannical! This is the foot in the door, and many of you know this. The goal is the eventual confiscation of (likely) all firearms. And it will be under the guise of trying to enforce SB281. Some will of course give up their arms not wanting to become criminals, but many will not. The blood of that inevitable confrontation will be on your hands: those that passed new gun legislation.
    Rather than fear guns, learn what their true purpose is to the law abiding citizen. Keep the guns out of the hands of felons and medically diagnosed people with impaired mental abilities that have not been cleared by a doctor, but your laws do NOT prevent any perceived future violence and you know it. Criminals don't follow any gun laws that I am aware of. Do drug dealers follow the drug laws on the books? No! But you and I do.
    You took an oath to defend the Constitution. SB281 is a destruction of the 2A. Your duty is to defend the Constitution. It is held even above your consituents! It is held even above your personal agendas or mine! It is above us all. If it is not, then we don't have nation and I can pick and choose which laws seem good to me. Is that the world you wish to live in?

brighid

Feb 6, 2013
    here
    Not sure if this an automatic response email that has already been posted but this is what I received today from Kevin Kelly

Dear Supporter of the Second Amendment:

Initially I take this opportunity to thank you for your recent email whereby you expressed adamant opposition to additional Gun Control initiatives which will be introduced in the 2013 Legislative Session of the Maryland General Assembly. Since I have been literally inundated by communications such as yours, I hereby respond to same, and simultaneously set forth my sentiments on Gun Control.

By manner of introduction I am a six term Delegate to the Maryland General Assembly representing Allegany County. I am an attorney by profession and during my entire twenty three years as a member of the General Assembly I have been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee. It should be noted the Judiciary Committee is the Committee to which all House of Delegates “Gun” initiatives are assigned. On a personal note, I am lawful owner of firearms and on numerous occasions I have been honored by various Pro – Gun Organizations for my staunch, unwavering support of the Second Amendment. Further, I possess an “A+” NRA rating.

I totally share your assessment that the current Legislative Session will unfortunately serve as a giant soapbox for Anti-Second Amendment zealots to spew their Gun-Hating venom and to pursue their Gun-Prohibition agendas.

Facts, statistics and common sense will be totally ignored as certain individuals jockey before the media to get their “on air” and/or “in print” opportunity to demonize the NRA and the Second Amendment Rights which the NRA protects and promotes. Simultaneously, many of these “Bashers” of the Second Amendment will utilize their media opportunities to demean those who support the Second Amendment; inferring such individuals “are of a lesser sophistication.”

The Gun-Haters will proclaim to the media “They support the Second Amendment” and they only intend to make “reasonable and responsible changes to the gun laws.” However, these same individuals will never legitimately pursue investigation of the true causes of violence in our society, specifically, broken homes, children born out of wedlock, absence of family structure, pervasiveness of drugs, street gangs, issues of a failed Mental Health System and the promotion/ glorification of violence in movies, on television and in video games, all of which serve to desensitize youth to the actual carnage caused by violence.

Further penalizing lawful gun owners and denying Second Amendment rights to these law abiding individuals will not reduce violent crime. On the contrary, the opposite is true. If law abiding citizens are denied their Second Amendment right to own firearms, then in that event, the only people to have guns will be the criminals. As such, you may be assured I will continue to oppose, and I will continue to vote against, any and all Anti - Second Amendment, Gun Control initiatives. Finally, I submit for your review the following email, statistical information and news article which you may find of interest.

Once again, your expression of Second Amendment support is deeply appreciated and if I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,

Kevin Kelly, Delegate

Allegany County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom