• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Response from Delegate Cathy Vitale

I appreciate your e-mail. Please know that I am an ardent supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights. I am sure there will be many bills introduced during the upcoming session on both sides of the 2nd Amendment issue, and I encourage you to consider testifying on any bills you feel strongly about.

Thank you,

Delegate Cathy Vitale

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    ok finally got something back from Kirill Reznick (from MOCO)

Dear Mr. Kray,

Thank you for your email concerning the current handgun legislation, House Bill 38.

Although I am in favor for more restrictive laws regarding handgun possession, I appreciate hearing from my constituents such as yourself, to hear your views on the matter. I have never been opposed to citizens owning guns, hunting, or engaging in other shooting sports. However, I believe that reasonable controls are necessary to ensure the safety and well-being of the public. So, as a result, I have consistently opposed concealed carry laws in Maryland, and will again, co-sponsor any legislation proposed to limit or restrict the ownership of automatic and/or semi-automatic assault weapons.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and always feel free to contact me with your thoughts and concerns.

Sincerely,
    Del. Kirill Reznik

I am in the process of crafting my response right now

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I was impressed by the personal response I received from Jamie Raskin.
    I will include the entire exchange below:

Dear Senator Raskin,

Assembly Member;

As a long-time Maryland citizen, I am concerned that you might attempt to impose further restrictions on firearms ownership. It is evident that we have more than a sufficient number of laws and regulations, and that said laws have had no effect on gun violence.

What we need is a rational view on the matter; normal people do not engage in gun violence; the high-profile instances we have seen are the result of a failure to address mental health issues.

It makes no sense to prohibit the sane portion of the population from owning the tools of self-defense.

As a senior citizen, I feel quite strongly about this, as I am too old to physically defend myself, or to effect an escape from a violent attack. Should my ability to protect myself be even more compromised by useless regulation, I will retire to a state that has more respect for my life and well-being.

Thank you for considering my opinion. I hope that it will influence you toward a more rational policy than is currently the case in this state.

The reply:

Dear Robert: Thanks for your very thoughtful note about potential legislative responses to the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut. As a professor of constitutional law, I approach the full range of public policy proposals in this field through the prism of the Second Amendment, which absolutely protects the right of reasonable individual armed self-defense, the right to participate in hunting and recreational activities, and the right of a person to have access to any guns issued him or her by a law enforcement authority or military entity. However, it is not clear to me why a person, who can possess handguns in the home for self-defense and rifles for hunting, would need for any legitimate constitutional purpose to have access to military-style assault weaponry, like the semi-automatic Bushmaster that was used to take the lives of 20 children in Newtown. Many hunters and gun owners have told me that they think a ban on assault weapons designed for combat is perfectly consistent with their Second Amendment rights, and I agree. Beyond that one issue, I hope that we would agree on the other kinds of reasonable gun safety measures that we need in order to reduce the amount of bloodshed we see because of lax regulations and weak enforcement. I assure you that I don’t see any desire in Annapolis to deny sane and law-abiding people weapons they have a right to use under the Second Amendment, and I hope that we can focus on the common-sense reforms that will keep firearms out of the hands of criminals, undocumented aliens, the mentally ill, and other illegal buyers. Thanks again for taking the time to write, and I hope you stay in Takoma Park and Maryland! All best, Jamie

My response:

Dear Senator Raskin

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding "military-style assault weaponry", it is incumbent upon me to point out that such weaponry is not regularly available to the citizenry. Military "assault rifles" are capable of fully automatic fire, since they are in essence machine guns. Of course, they can also fire single rounds. This definition aside, a semi-automatic rifle is a commonly available weapon, and has been for longer than either of us has been alive. The AR15 type weapon, which is the subject of so much emotionalism, is in fact rather weak compared to varieties of weapons in regular sporting use. It seems to be singled out for media attention because of its appearance, rather than any inherent vitrues as a significant weapon. In short, it is no more, or less, dangerous than any number of so-called "sporting" weapons in common use. These military-appearing rifles have earned the sobriquet of "EBR", standing for Evil Black Rifle, a derisive term used by the shooting community to highlight the ignorant and emotional responses found in, and seemingly encouraged by, the media, as well as those who remain uninformed on the subject.

That said, it is worthy of note that the FBI, in recent examinations of their crime data, has noted that rifles are in fact seldom used in crime. I believe that they found that manual means of homicide, including fists and clubs, and presumably other blunt weapons, are responsible for 50% more deaths than rifles. In Maryland, I believe that a rifle was used in exactly two homicides in the last year for which data was available.

To counterbalance that rather weak threat, I should point out that such weapons have, in fact, demonstrated their usefulness in civilian hands. The most blatant example that comes to mind is the use of these rifles in the hands of Korean shopkeepers during riots in Los Angeles. While neighboring businesses were put to the torch, shopkeepers armed with rifles were unharmed; nor did they have to fire upon the mob to protect their businesses and lives; the mere threat of the weapon sufficed to render them safe.

Regarding magazine capacity, I direct your attention to the recent case in Georgia, where a housewife and her children, victims of a home invasion by a criminal with a long arrest record, cowered in the attic of their home. When the invader advanced upon them, the woman shot him six times with a handgun. The invader then left the premises and drove away. Of course, he soon had to stop and received medical attention, but the operative point is that, had there been another attacker, it is unlikely that she would have been able to defend her life and her children in the face of two men.

Regarding arming the citizenry, I feel that it is a worthwhile goal to permit people to defend themselves. In fact, forty states have a "shall issue" policy, whereupon any citizen of sufficient age who meets federal requirements for gun ownership, must be issued a carry permit. Amazingly, not only have these people not caused the streets to run with blood, but they have been a proactive force for good in their communities. They also have been found to be very law-abiding as a group. Fewer than a hundredth of a percent of the permits issued by Florida, for example, have been rescinded due to subsequent criminal behavior by the permit holders.

These are not facts that are regularly promulgated, but they are in fact representative of the legally armed citizenry. Reacting to atrocity by creating more opportunities for victimisation is not a successful strategy. Treating the vast majority of responsible citizens as the trustworthy people they in fact are, is a much better policy.

Regarding police in schools: this seems on the face of it to be better than having no means of protecting my grandchildren, but the concept of "gun-free" zones doesn't hold much water in the real world, wherein the occasional insane terrorist can be assured of an area free of protection as well as full of young victims, and ideal situation for one who seeks media attention and a powerful impact. If those teachers and staff who were willing and able to carry concealed weapons were permitted to do so, it could have saved any number of lives in places such as Columbine, VA Tech, Sandy Hook, and so on. Yesterday's Wall Street Journal had a letter to the editor from a woman who described a visit to the Mount of Olives in Israel; she saw a class of children visiting the site, along with an armed gentleman. Confronting him about his being armed, she found that it was the childrens' teacher. He explained that the children were Israel's most precious resource, and its hope for the future, and thus deserving of protection. Seems right to me. While I don't think we have come to the point of needing to go on class trips with automatic weapons, I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing that my grandchildren had some hope of protection against insane violence. Thinking of them huddled together helplessly while being riddled with bullets is not a very pleasant meditation.

To gild the lily of that argument, I hasten to mention that the DC area is Ground Zero for a terrorist attack, and to slaughter a bunch of kids here would make a point for Al Qaeda
    or any other such group, while requiring the minimum of logistics and preparation. The Chechnya rebels have done this in Russia, and you are aware that they are in fact linked with various terrorist groups making common cause against Western governments. I am thankful that no attack has been forthcoming, but I'm not sanguine that we are therefore immune from this sort of violence.

All the more reason to consider moving myself and my family to safer ground, of course, but I'd really rather not. However, I do have a responsibility toward them, and myself. We'll see how things play out.

By the way, I recently read an interesting reply to someone who asked why we need "assault weapons". The response: we have a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of Needs. To my mind, it summed up the situation in a rather pithy fashion.

Regards,

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    From Delegate Cathy Vitale:
    I appreciate your e-mail. Please know that I am an ardent supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights. I am sure there will be many bills introduced during the upcoming session on both sides of the 2nd Amendment issue, and I encourage you to consider testifying on any bills you feel strongly about.

Thank you,

Delegate Cathy Vitale

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    RESPONSE FROM patmcdee@comcast.net <patmcdee@comcast.net>

Thanks Jack for all your help!

It is greatly appreciated.

Pat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SENT:

MURDER IN MARYLAND

ABOUT RIFLES COMPARED TO HANDS, FIST AND FEET:

FROM 2004 THROUGH 2011 RIFLES WERE USED TO MURDER 31 TIMES. HANDS, FEET AND FIST WERE USED TO MURDER 178 TIMES.

HANDS, FEET AND FIST WERE USED TO COMMIT MURDER 147 MORE TIMES THAN WERE RIFLES OF ALL TYPES.*

ABOUT RIFLES COMPARED TO KNIVES AND OTHER CUTTING INSTRUMENTS:

FROM 2004 THROUGH 2011 RIFLES WERE USED TO MURDER 31 TIMES. KNIVES AND OTHER CUTTING INSTRUMENTS OTHER WERE USED 503 TIMES.

KNIVES AND OTHER CUTTING INSTRUMENTS WERE USED 472 MORE TIMES TO COMMIT MURDER THAN WERE RIFLES OF ALL TYPES.*

ABOUT HANDGUNS:

THE SIMPLE, BUT APPARENTLY UNACCEPTABLE, METHOD OF DRAMATICALLY REDUCING THE NUMBER OF MURDERS COMMITTED BY THOSE WHO USE FIREARMS IS DRUG LEGALIZATION.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Kevin Kelly from Allegany County knows how to respond to an email!!!

Dear Supporter of the Second Amendment:

Initially I take this opportunity to thank you for your recent email whereby you expressed adamant opposition to additional Gun Control initiatives which will be introduced in the 2013 Legislative Session of the Maryland General Assembly. Since I have been literally inundated by communications such as yours, I hereby respond to same, and simultaneously set forth my sentiments on Gun Control.

By manner of introduction I am a six term Delegate to the Maryland General Assembly representing Allegany County. I am an attorney by profession and during my entire twenty three years as a member of the General Assembly I have been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee. It should be noted the Judiciary Committee is the Committee to which all House of Delegates “Gun” initiatives are assigned. On a personal note, I am lawful owner of firearms and on numerous occasions I have been honored by various Pro – Gun Organizations for my staunch, unwavering support of the Second Amendment. Further, I possess an “A+” NRA rating.

I totally share your assessment that the forthcoming Legislative Session will unfortunately serve as a giant soapbox for Anti-Second Amendment zealots to spew their Gun-Hating venom and to pursue their Gun-Prohibition agendas.

Facts, statistics and common sense will be totally ignored as certain individuals jockey before the media to get their “on air” and/or “in print” opportunity to demonize the NRA and the Second Amendment Rights which the NRA protects and promotes. Simultaneously, many of these “Bashers” of the Second Amendment will utilize their media opportunities to demean those who support the Second Amendment; inferring such individuals “are of a lesser sophistication.”

The Gun-Haters will proclaim to the media “They support the Second Amendment” and they only intend to make “reasonable and responsible changes to the gun laws.” However, these same individuals will never legitimately pursue investigation of the true causes of violence in our society, specifically, broken homes, children born out of wedlock, absence of family structure, pervasiveness of drugs, street gangs, issues of a failed Mental Health System and the promotion/ glorification of violence in movies, on television and in video games, all of which serve to desensitize youth to the actual carnage caused by violence.

Further penalizing lawful gun owners and denying Second Amendment rights to these law abiding individuals will not reduce violent crime. On the contrary, the opposite is true. If law abiding citizens are denied their Second Amendment right to own firearms, then in that event, the only people to have guns will be the criminals. As such, you may be assured I will continue to oppose, and I will continue to vote against, any and all Anti - Second Amendment, Gun Control initiatives. Finally, I submit for your review the following email, statistical information and news article which you may find of interest.

Once again, your expression of Second Amendment support is deeply appreciated and if I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,

Kevin Kelly, Delegate

Allegany County

delegate.k.kelly@house.state.md.us

Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:19 PM
    To: mspsuperintendent@maryland.gov; marcus.brown@maryland.gov
    Cc: bernard.foster@maryland.gov; ronald.levitan@maryland.gov; gregory.shipley@maryland.gov; marlene.jenkins@maryland.gov; jack.mccauley@maryland.gov; jerry.beason@maryland.gov; john.cook@maryland.gov; laura.herman@maryland.gov; jack.simpson@maryland.gov; thomas.williams@maryland.gov; Friedman, Dan (OAG); Busch, Michael Delegate (Laptop); Vallario, Joseph Delegate (Laptop)
    Subject: Concerns pertaining to Freedom of Information "Gun Data" Requests.
    Importance: High

Colonel Marcus L. Brown

Superintendent – Maryland State Police

1201 Reisterstown Road

Pikesville, MD 21208-3899

Re: Concerns pertaining to Freedom of Information “Gun Data” Requests

Dear Colonel Brown:

I briefly take this opportunity to relate specific concerns with Freedom of Information “Gun Data” requests which I anticipate will be made of MSP. First, I have provided an ABC News link regarding a highly publicized newspaper article, together with accompanying interactive map, published by a New York newspaper, The Journal News. This referenced news article / map provided the names and residence addresses of every individual who LAWFULLY owns a Handgun(s) in Westchester and Rockland Counties, New York. This Gun Data was obtained through Freedom of Information requests. To view the article /map please click on below link. Then in the article which appears please click on ”their names and addresses listed on a map.” Then scroll down map and click on purple dots.

I find the publication of such information extremely disturbing and frankly, quite frightening. If a criminal wants to break into a dwelling to steal “Legal Handguns” this published, interactive map will provide the culprit the exact residence address to Burglarize. Additionally, it is most distressing that Lawful Handgun Owners are being treated like Registered Sex Offenders. Aren’t these Lawful Handgun Owners entitled to a Right of Privacy? What specifically is to gained by the publication of this information? Finally, would MSP be required to provide such information if a similar Freedom of Information request was made of MSP?

Second, In the 1993 Legislative Session, during a time of heated gun control debate, the Baltimore Business Journal prominently published in its April 2-8, 1993 (Anti-Second Amendment) edition, under the Banner Headline of “Officials Carrying Handguns” the names of State legislators who possessed permits to carry handguns and the caliber of the Handguns they so carried. I recall this vividly since I was so listed. Interestingly, I have never possessed a concealed carry permit. As I further recall, most of the Legislators so identified did not possess concealed carry permits. The article should have been titled “Legislators Who legally Own Handguns.” After the incorrectly identified Legislators expressed outrage to Colonel Larry W. Tolliver, then Superintendent of the Maryland State Police, and to representatives of the Baltimore Business Journal the publication printed a “Correction” in the form of a “Letter To The Editor” from Colonel Tolliver. This correction was published on page 47 of the April 16-22, 1993 edition of the Baltimore Business Journal.

Hopefully, if contacted by the media or by others, The Maryland State Police will be mindful of the above presented issues and concerns when responding to Freedom Of Information “Gun Data” Requests.

With kindest regards, I remain

Very truly yours,

Kevin Kelly, Delegate

Allegany County

District Office:

201 Washington Street

Cumberland, MD 21502

301-777-9000

kevinkelly@atlanticbb.net

or

delegate.k.kelly@house.state.md.us

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...addresses-215214269--abc-news-topstories.html

FROM: “THE FBI CRIME REPORTS” – “Assault Rifles” included in “Rifles” category

MARYLAND,

MURDER BY: “RIFLES” vs. “HANDS, FEET and FISTS”

2011 2 17

2010 3 19

2009 2 18

2008 4 28

2007 9 23

2006 5 25

2005 4 18

2004 2 30

Total 31 178

IN MARYLAND, “HANDS, FEET AND FISTS” HAVE ACCOUNTED FOR 5.74 TIMES MORE MURDERS THAN “RIFLES” DURING THE PAST EIGHT YEARS.

SOURCE: FBI UNIFORM CRIME REPORTS: TABLE 20

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

baltimoresun.com
    Demographics of 2012 Baltimore homicidesBy Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun

1:54 PM EST, December 31, 2012

Each year, the Baltimore Police homicide section compiles statistics on city killings. Here's how some of the data break down:

Murders: 216
    Clearance rate (cases closed by arrest or administratively): 47.6 percent
    Victims injured in prior years who died this year: 7
    Cases from prior years closed this year (which counts toward this year's clearance rate, per FBI guidelines): 28

Cause:
    Arson: 1
    Blunt force: 7 (3.6%)
    Handgun: 180 (83%)
    Knife/sharp object: 20 (10.2%)
    Shotgun/rifle: 2
    Strangle/suffocation: 2
    Vehicle: 1
    Other: 3

Female: 21 (9.7%)

Race:
    Asian: 1
    Black: 204 (94.4%)
    Hispanic: 1
    White: 10 (4.6%)

Age groups:
    Juvenile: 11 (5%)
    Adult: 205 (95%)

35 and over: 72 (33.3%)
    25-34: 68 (31.5%)
    24 and under: 76 (35%)

Motives:
    Argument: 14
    Arson: 1
    Child abuse: 6
    Dispute over money: 2
    Domestic: 3
    Drugs: 3
    Neighborhood (dispute?): 1
    Retaliation: 3
    Robbery: 10
    Other: 10
    Unknown: 162

(Known) suspects with criminal records: 79.1 percent
    Suspects with drug arrests: 61.6 percent
    Suspects on parole and probation at time of killing: 23.3 percent
    Suspects arrested for prior gun crimes: 45.3 percent

Victims with criminal records: 82.3 percent
    Victims with drug arrests: 68.4 percent
    Victims on parole and probation at time of death: 24.2 percent
    Victims arrested for prior gun crimes: 37.7 percent

Copyright © 2012, The Baltimore Sun

In 2000 Bill Clinton Wanted Cops in Schools Because of Columbine

Progressives and the Liberal Media are bashing the NRA and it's CEO Wayne LaPierre for the suggestion made in his speech today that trained armed guards be placed in every school in the country. Many critics point to the fact that Columbine High School had an armed guard during it's horrible tragedy (but the guard was having a cigarette at the time).

Perhaps these critics should have done a touch of research before they spoke, In April 2000 as part of his commemoration of the first anniversary of deaths at Columbine High School in his weekly radio speech President Clinton announced $120 million in grants, much of it for a program to place armed police officers in schools.

As the Associated Press reported at the time:

"In our national struggle against youth violence we must not fail our children; our future depends on it," the president said in his weekly radio address.

Parents, teens, teachers, youth workers and others will discuss research that indicates the preteen years set patterns for behavior and success in adulthood. Other subjects will include the risks, challenges and anxieties faced by young people today and what can be done to avoid dangerous or risky behavior.

"We need to talk about safety and security in every house in America," Clinton said.

Republican critics said the federal government is a clumsy middleman in trying to cope with problems that should be addressed locally. They cast doubt on whether the teen conference would accomplish anything, accused Clinton of ignoring media violence and said he should support stiff jail sentences for anyone carrying a firearm in a violent or drug-related crime.

Clinton announced $40 million in grants for 23 school districts that he said have found successful, comprehensive approaches to help troubled young people.

"These districts are bringing school nurses and counselors together to respond to warning signs like depression or bullying," Clinton said. "They are improving classroom security and expanding after-school and mentoring programs."

Clinton also unveiled the $60-million fifth round of funding for "COPS in School," a Justice Department program that helps pay the costs of placing police officers in schools to help make them safer for students and teachers. The money will be used to provide 452 officers in schools in more than 220 communities.

"Already, it has placed 2,200 officers in more than 1,000 communities across our nation, where they are heightening school safety as well as coaching sports and acting as mentors and mediators for kids in need," Clinton said.

SHHHHH! Please don't tell the liberals that Clinton supported a program very similar to the one presented by NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre today...It might cause their heads to explode...or even worse It might make them to think instead of politicizing.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Bob A, Larry Pratt mentioned both the LA riots and GA woman with a revolver on the radio today. I think it was 680, but could have been 1090. I was switching back and forth all day long.

The problem is most hunters don't agree. I'm one! I have harvested 7 deer in the past 3 years with my .308 AR10 and .300blk AR 15. Now on the other hand neither of those rifles nor my other 5.56 AR have harmed or killed a single person. AR companies now are making designated hunting ARs like Remington, Stag, and DPMS. To say they aren't for hunting is an outright lie and cop out.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    My guess is most are already doing so, but when using the Civic Action Link,

http://actionmail.ksconline.net/

I suggest emailing all of the legislature not just your local representatives. It is especially important to repeatedly present our adversaries with facts.

Regards
    Jack

bcbg

Nov 21, 2012
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Here is what I got back from Ruppersberger......I think it's a canned message that I disagree with on SO many levels.

Dear Mr. *********:

I am writing in response to your communication regarding the recent school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As a father and grandfather with many educators in my family, this tragedy touched me deeply. We are all keeping the Newtown families in our thoughts and prayers. But I believe we owe these families more – we owe them thoughtful and effective gun reforms so that other families may be spared the same pain.

The facts from incidents in Newtown, Aurora, Fort Hood, Tucson and Blacksburg are clear: the more powerful the gun and more ammunition it has, the more people it can kill. The Newtown shooter, the Columbine killers and the gunman in Aurora all used assault weapons designed for our troops on the front lines of war. The gunmen in Tucson, Fort Hood, Virginia Tech and Newtown were all armed with high-capacity magazines. In fact, the Newtown shooter was armed with enough ammunition to kill every student in the school. With less powerful guns and less bullets, perhaps more lives would have been saved.

I have always relied on the counsel of Maryland's law enforcement leaders when it comes to my positions on various gun control policies. I believe strongly in the right to bear arms, but this right comes with reasonable limits. For example, I do not believe that private citizens should be able to purchase assault weapons designed for warfare that can out-shoot our police officers. It's for that reason I cosponsored legislation to continue the ban on assault weapons in 2004. I have also supported efforts to ban large-capacity ammunition magazines, such as those used during the Newtown tragedy.

I will continue to support these reasonable limits as Congress renews its examination of our country's gun laws in the days ahead. There are other common sense steps we can take, such as creating smart technology that renders a weapon useless if loss or stolen. We can improve background checks on gun owners and more carefully monitor third-party gun sales. And, I believe, our country's efforts to identify and treat the mentally ill must be part of the discussion.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if you have any questions or comments. To receive additional information about issues that are facing Congress, Maryland, and the Nation that may affect you and your community, please visit my Web site at www.dutch.house.gov and sign up for my periodic e-mail newsletter.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
    Member of Congress

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Do not hesitate to email the antis, to indicate you intend to support those on our side financially, to keep up the pressure, to hand-write as well as email, and to show up at their local offices and Annapolis. One face-to-face represents about a thousand voters who don't show up.

Most of these guys can count. They see the number of NICS checks. They need to be reminded that there are a lot of people who support our position, and that the number is growing daily.

While some will never listen to reason, some will. Work for the change.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Here is what I got back from Ruppersberger......I think it's a canned message that I disagree with on SO many levels.

Dear Mr. *********:

I am writing in response to your communication regarding the recent school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As a father and grandfather with many educators in my family, this tragedy touched me deeply. We are all keeping the Newtown families in our thoughts and prayers. But I believe we owe these families more – we owe them thoughtful and effective gun reforms so that other families may be spared the same pain.

The facts from incidents in Newtown, Aurora, Fort Hood, Tucson and Blacksburg are clear: the more powerful the gun and more ammunition it has, the more people it can kill. The Newtown shooter, the Columbine killers and the gunman in Aurora all used assault weapons designed for our troops on the front lines of war. The gunmen in Tucson, Fort Hood, Virginia Tech and Newtown were all armed with high-capacity magazines. In fact, the Newtown shooter was armed with enough ammunition to kill every student in the school. With less powerful guns and less bullets, perhaps more lives would have been saved.

I have always relied on the counsel of Maryland's law enforcement leaders when it comes to my positions on various gun control policies. I believe strongly in the right to bear arms, but this right comes with reasonable limits. For example, I do not believe that private citizens should be able to purchase assault weapons designed for warfare that can out-shoot our police officers. It's for that reason I cosponsored legislation to continue the ban on assault weapons in 2004. I have also supported efforts to ban large-capacity ammunition magazines, such as those used during the Newtown tragedy.

I will continue to support these reasonable limits as Congress renews its examination of our country's gun laws in the days ahead. There are other common sense steps we can take, such as creating smart technology that renders a weapon useless if loss or stolen. We can improve background checks on gun owners and more carefully monitor third-party gun sales. And, I believe, our country's efforts to identify and treat the mentally ill must be part of the discussion.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if you have any questions or comments. To receive additional information about issues that are facing Congress, Maryland, and the Nation that may affect you and your community, please visit my Web site at www.dutch.house.gov and sign up for my periodic e-mail newsletter.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
    Member of Congress

I got the same email today as well. Will try and draft a response this weekend.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I've received a butt load of responses. Everything from the auto-reply saying nothing at all, to responses that seemed personal.

Here is my original email sent to both state and federal legislators, followed by a few personal ones received back.

Dear Delegate/Senator XXXXXXX,

I am writing this in concern with the knee jerk reactions to institute a new "Assault Weapons" ban along with any other restrictions against law abiding citizens like myself.

I do agree with the entire country in saying that these tragedies were absolutely despicable, and have no place in this country. That being said, these tragedies were perpetrated by criminals. Those who don't follow laws to begin with. All that laws and restrictions do is limit the freedoms of law ABIDING citizens. They do nothing to stop a criminal.

What needs to be done is to make sure that our law enforcement agencies are giving the tools to fully enforce current laws that have been passed. Not let off career criminals with a slap on the wrist, and make sure violent offenders are kept behind bars. Also this country needs to look deeper into mental health issues and to make sure that those with mental health problems get the assistance they need so that they can be productive in life, not destructive in life. We must also start making sure that family values and morals are the core of this country.

This is where we need to head, not more gun-control laws that affect lawful firearm owners. The statistics on crimes and murders committed with rifles for the State of Maryland are 2 deaths for 2011. According to FBI statistics, deaths caused by all rifles never were greater than 10 since 2004.

We cannot keep repeating the same mistakes and hope that the outcome changes. We must go in a different direction. We can start right here in Maryland.

We must make sure that we truly model what this state's motto is, THE FREE STATE and not become another "FREEDOM LESS STATE".

Thank you.

now for the responses

Dear Mr. frdfandc,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me about possible new gun regulations that may be debated during the next Maryland Session. You and I are in agreement about the importance of maintaining 2nd Amendment rights in a time when understandable, legitimate sorrow and concern about the atrocity in New Town is being used by some as an opportunity to attack this important, Constitutional right.

During my first two years as a State Delegate I have been a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms responsibly. In that time I have co-sponsored legislation protecting legal gun owners rights, and in addition also co-sponsored legislation supporting concealed carry laws and state reciprocity involving the transport of firearms though Maryland.

I expect that this will be a tough legislative season in Maryland for gun owners in the wake of the horrific shootings, but I will continue to stand up for gun rights of legal owner’s and the protection of the Second Amendment. Attacking lawful gun ownership sends a troubling signal that the government not trusts its citizens and believes they should have fewer rights during dangerous periods. Ultimately, we need to recognize that we need a change to a culture of responsibility (which includes parents and close friends of these criminals) and a new vigilance in the area of mental health. Those are two areas that I plan to work on more closely in the upcoming Session and beyond.

Again, thank you for contacting me and sharing this information and for your support. Please feel free to contact me anytime at Justin.Ready@house.state.md.us or 410-841-3070. I look forward to hearing from you anytime.

Sincerely,

Justin Ready
    Member, House of Delegates
    District 5A/Carroll

Dear Mr. frdfandc,

Thank you for contacting me about the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut and your concern about the potential erosion of our 2nd Amendment rights. As an educator and father of five, two of whom are still in school, the horror that took place on the morning of Friday, December 14, 2012 is unfathomable. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the 27 victims and the Newtown community.

We all must work together to prevent these types of tragedies. I believe we have to start by addressing the culture of violence that has consumed our country. Our news media, movies, television shows, and video games display endless violent images that glorify and inspire this behavior. We have to stop sensationalizing these murderers. According to KidsHealth, the average child spends 28 hours a week watching television and it is estimated that by the time this child leaves elementary school, he or she will have witnessed 8,000 murders and over 100,000 other acts of violence (and this does not include violent video games). According to The Parents Television Council, by the time children reach the age of 18, they have seen more than 40,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence. I believe this is a major contribution to the problem.

As a physician, I also feel mental health care reform needs to be a part of the discussion. It is important to remember that those with mental illnesses rarely commit acts of violence and this low incidence must be put into perspective. However, we need to make sure children and young adults with mental illness are diagnosed and have access to proper therapy in order to help them cope with their condition. Studies show that more than 10% of children in the United States may benefit from some sort of mental health treatment, but most do not receive help. There is a shortage of resources and services available to serve those that need mental health care support. Furthermore, where these resources exist, their implementation could be improved and used more effectively.

Like you, I agree that we must enforce to the fullest extent possible our current gun control laws that protect people from danger, like preventing gun ownership by criminals or those suffering from a severe psychological disorder that could result in a violent act. Currently, over 4,450 crimes related to guns exist on the federal law books, and tens of thousands have been proposed in the Federal Register. According to the Brady Campaign, Connecticut has the 5th toughest gun laws in the country including an assault weapons ban. Norway, a nation with some of the toughest gun laws in the world, not too long ago had to deal with a mass murderer killing over 80 people, most of whom were children. Illegal use of a firearm, as was the case with the Sandy Hook shooter, should always be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

I believe that by addressing our country's increasingly worrisome culture of violence, and implementing strategies to generally improve our mental health system, we can lessen the occurrence of these tragedies by targeting the root causes of mass murders. I am grateful for your comments, and you may rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as legislation on this issue is discussed. I hope that you will feel free to contact me on any issue of importance to you or your family in the future.

Sincerely,

Andy Harris, M.D.
    Member of Congress
    harris.house.gov

And one more

Dear Mr. frdfandc,

Thank you,

Delegate Cathy Vitale
    Anne Arundel County, District 33A
    Lowe House Office Building
    6 Bladen Street, Room 154
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    O-410- 841-3510
    F -410- 841-3180

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I sent out another batch today, we will see what responses it get. I went on the nraila site and mass emailed a bunch of people. I just typed in many local zip codes and pasted my email in.

Jdea2057

Jan 1, 2011
    Sharptown
    Email response for delegate Cane,

I am a supporter of gun collectors and hunters, and I believe in upholding the Constitution of the United States of America. However, for public safety reasons, I believe that individuals with mental illness and convicted felons should be restricted from exercising their second amendment rights.

I always appreciate it when constituents take their valuable time to let me know about issues that are important to them so that I can express these concerns legislatively.

Rudolph C. Cane Delegate, District 37A

Jdea2057

Jan 1, 2011
    Sharptown
    Dear Mr. Deal,

Thank you for contacting me about the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut and your concern about the potential erosion of our 2 nd Amendment rights. As an educator and father of five, two of whom are still in school, the horror that took place on the morning of Friday, December 14, 2012 is unfathomable. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the 27 victims and the Newtown community.

We all must work together to prevent these types of tragedies. I believe we have to start by addressing the culture of violence that has consumed our country. Our news media, movies, television shows, and video games display endless violent images that glorify and inspire this behavior. We have to stop sensationalizing these murderers. According to KidsHealth, the average child spends 28 hours a week watching television and it is estimated that by the time this child leaves elementary school, he or she will have witnessed 8,000 murders and over 100,000 other acts of violence (and this does not include violent video games). According to The Parents Television Council, by the time children reach the age of 18, they have seen more than 40,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence. I believe this is a major contribution to the problem.

As a physician, I also feel mental health care reform needs to be a part of the discussion. It is important to remember that those with mental illnesses rarely commit acts of violence and this low incidence must be put into perspective. However, we need to make sure children and young adults with mental illness are diagnosed and have access to proper therapy in order to help them cope with their condition. Studies show that more than 10% of children in the United States may benefit from some sort of mental health treatment, but most do not receive help. There is a shortage of resources and services available to serve those that need mental health care support. Furthermore, where these resources exist, their implementation could be improved and used more effectively.

Like you, I agree that we must enforce to the fullest extent possible our current gun control laws that protect people from danger, like preventing gun ownership by criminals or those suffering from a severe psychological disorder that could result in a violent act. Currently, over 4,450 crimes related to guns exist on the federal law books, and tens of thousands have been proposed in the Federal Register. According to the Brady Campaign, Connecticut has the 5 th toughest gun laws in the country including an assault weapons ban. Norway, a nation with some of the toughest gun laws in the world, not too long ago had to deal with a mass murderer killing over 80 people, most of whom were children. Illegal use of a firearm, as was the case with the Sandy Hook shooter, should always be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

I believe that by addressing our country's increasingly worrisome culture of violence, and implementing strategies to generally improve our mental health system, we can lessen the occurrence of these tragedies by targeting the root causes of mass murders. I am grateful for your comments, and you may rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as legislation on this issue is discussed. I hope that you will feel free to contact me on any issue of importance to you or your family in the future.

Sincerely,

Andy Harris, M.D. Member of Congress harris.house.gov

I

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Received an E-mail from my Delegate "flooded" with E-mails over further 2nd Admentment restrictions in Annapolis with Session only 3 days old linda like I get the message ................

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Someone I haven't see others get, yet. His assistant asked for my mailing address before he would respond.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control legislation. I share your same concerns.

Like all Americans, I am deeply saddened by the killings in Newtown by a deranged individual. However, I do not believe the solution is to deprive responsible, law-abiding citizens of their Second Amendment rights. The solution is to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those who are mentally ill.

I am strongly in favor of our natural right to protect our properties and our families. I therefore support “the rights of the people to keep and bear Arms.” I will continue to oppose further encroachment on those rights.

Thank you again for your email.

Best,

Steve

It's from Delegate Steve Schuh.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Reply from Jamie Raskins....scary about the "Bushmaster" comment. My reply sent off.

Dear "Doormantnt"

Thanks for your very thoughtful note about potential legislative responses to the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut and the whole debate that the country is engaged in right now. I appreciate very much your insight on these issues and also your acknowledgement that Maryland has been made safer by virtue of the common-sense laws that we have enacted in the past.

I should say off the bat that I certainly do not want to disparage, much less vilify, you in any way for being a responsible and law-abiding gun owner—you are the model for what we are looking, not the scapegoat of the discussion!

As a professor of constitutional law, I approach the full range of public policy proposals in this field through the prism of the Second Amendment, which absolutely protects the right of reasonable individual armed self-defense, the right to participate in hunting and recreational activities, and the right of a person to have access to any guns issued him or her by a law enforcement authority or military entity. I have no interest in any constitutional amendment to change the Second Amendment. However, it is not clear to me why any civilian, who can possess handguns in the home for self-defense and rifles for hunting, would need for any legitimate constitutional or practical purpose to have access to military-style assault weaponry, like the semi-automatic Bushmaster that was used to take the lives of 20 children in Newtown. Many hunters and gun owners have told me that they think a ban on assault weapons designed for combat is perfectly consistent with their Second Amendment rights, and I agree. Beyond that one issue, I hope that we would agree on the other kinds of reasonable gun safety measures that we need in order to reduce the amount of bloodshed that has taken place under lax regulations and weak enforcement. The ATF, which has not had a Director in five years, has been designed to engage in very poor and erratic enforcement of the laws that exist. While most gun dealers are law-abiding businesspeople, there are bad apples dealing guns under the table and off the books, and these guns quickly enter the criminal underworld. This is why I want to give the Maryland State Police concurrent authority with the ATF to inspect gun dealers and to sanction them for violations of the law.

I assure you that I don’t see any desire in Annapolis to deny sane and law-abiding people the weapons that they have a right to use under the Second Amendment, and the Supreme Court has made it clear that the Second Amendment, like the First or the Fourth, confers rights on individuals, and with this I totally agree. I hope that we can focus on the common-sense reforms that will keep firearms out of the hands of criminals, undocumented aliens, the mentally ill, and other illegal buyers. Thanks again for taking the time to write, and I hope you will stay in touch as the process unfolds.

All best wishes, Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom