• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aab23c

Dec 22, 2012
    PG County
    Dear XXXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me and expressing your concerns about gun control.

In June 2008 the Supreme Court decided the case of District of Columbia v. Heller. The Court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual rather than a collective right to possess a firearm. The Court also held that this Second Amendment right is not unlimited, and it is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner for any purpose.

I support the right of law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms. During my time in both the House and Senate, I have supported legislation that balances these strong Constitutional rights with responsibilities, through reasonable, common sense regulations. Sensible gun safety laws and vigorous enforcement of those laws are necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals, terrorists and the mentally ill.

Several bills relating to firearms have been introduced and referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Should this legislation be reported out of Committee and reach the floor, I will take your views into consideration.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on this or any other matter of importance to you.

Please visit my website at http://cardin.senate.gov/contact/newsletter/ to sign up for my e-newsletter.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    You sort of have to read between the lines here.

Senator Cardin is saying that he only supports sensible, common sense gun laws and emphasizes that we should be "vigorously enforcing" those on the books. By agreeing to take your views into account, he's saying that the last thing that we want to do is pile poorly written, emotionally-primed legislation on top of our already restrictive gun laws, lest we make it impossible to effectively enforce sensible rules and regulations such as bans of possession by prohibited persons and compound the problems caused by poorly written laws such as the "good and substantial" clause that results in unfair issuance of concealed carry permits. Therefore, when legislation hits the senate floor, Senator Cardin will be carefully evaluating them, ensuring that they provide for the public good, but do not abridge individual rights to possess commonly used firearms as guaranteed by DC v. Heller.

Given that Senator Cardin is a self-admitted supporter of "the right of law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms," he will no doubt be our foremost advocate in the US Senate and will use his influence to stop unreasonable regulations back here in MD.

Or did I read that wrong?

JmFinksburg

JmFinksburg
    May 15, 2012
    Carroll Co.
    Talk about rose colored glasses. This guy lives in the grey matter and will never offer anything but retoric. He is a well schooled slick politician that knows where his votes come from. No matter what the opposition he will support what keeps him in office. Unfortunately that is no help to most on this side of the fence.

JmFinksburg

JmFinksburg
    May 15, 2012
    Carroll Co.
    Also, forgot to mention, I wrote Andy Harris last week and got a canned answer that they recieved my message. Haven't heard back concerning substance.

It's a little disheartening because I used to be in Roscoe Bartletts district until the gerry mandering forced him out. He never took more than a couple days to get back to anything I ever sent him.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    We used to call a response like that 'weasel words'. Contentless glittering platitutdes that can be defined as neither pro nor con. Another analogy is that his response is like nailing jello to a tree.

I guarantee you he will vote with the ObamaBots for whatever legislation is brought forward, then tell the people of MD that he voted for or against whatever he thinks you want to hear.

And to everyone who voted for Rob Sobahni because you thought he was a moderate ... THANKS He's Ben's friend too. :mad54:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Dear XXXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me and expressing your concerns about gun control.

In June 2008 the Supreme Court decided the case of District of Columbia v. Heller. The Court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual rather than a collective right to possess a firearm. The Court also held that this Second Amendment right is not unlimited, and it is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner for any purpose.

I support the right of law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms. During my time in both the House and Senate, I have supported legislation that balances these strong Constitutional rights with responsibilities, through reasonable, common sense regulations. Sensible gun safety laws and vigorous enforcement of those laws are necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals, terrorists and the mentally ill.

Several bills relating to firearms have been introduced and referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. Should this legislation be reported out of Committee and reach the floor, I will take your views into consideration.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on this or any other matter of importance to you.

Please visit my website at http://cardin.senate.gov/contact/newsletter/ to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Got same response.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    With Cardin and Schumer appearing to take the lead on this, it opens an interesting dynamic (which I'm not sure how it will play out)...

The Senate offers a package of "Gun SAFETY" legislation, which would never gets through the House. Hopefully the Ds are getting ahead of themselves, and it gets filibustered to death.

OR.....

The House Rs get a comprehensice Mental Health and Public Safety package together which bolsters school security, carry, etc., pass it, and force the Senate to act on it.

Thoughts???

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Gosh, why that looks amazingly similar to the response that Senator Cardin sent me . . . But, but wasn't it a personal message to me? Do you think he might have sent copies of the same letter to more than one person?

Seriously, I know just how much Senator Cardin cares about my input. And that's just about the same way I feel about his value to the citizens of Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom