• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I lived in Ellicott for 10 yrs near 29&40. That area has gone downhill in the past 20 yrs. Go 15 minutes west on I70 to Mt Airy. Fredneck County has great schools and lower taxes. Plus you can commute to balt, columbia, or even down the i270 corridor if your desperate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

This. Come join us in Carroll County. Sure we don't have fancy turf football fields, but we also have reasonable taxes. Schools are fine. Not the most modern but they take very good care of them.

Either way... We are really close the raaaaaange..... ;)

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    This. Come join us in Carroll County. Sure we don't have fancy turf football fields, but we also have reasonable taxes. Schools are fine. Not the most modern but they take very good care of them.

Either way... We are really close the raaaaaange..... ;)

Oh, I spent many hours at the landfill 10+ years ago. Like 2X week. I'd bring Jim cigars and pipe tobacco regularly. Heck, my pic was in the trailer :innocent0

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I grew up in Columbia and moved to Mt. Airy 6 years ago. I can't stand to go back to Columbia now and don't know how I lived there for so long. I agree go west a little to Mt. Airy, woodbine that area much more peaceful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I moved east from Ellicott City a few years ago. Way east.

Leaving Annapolis between 5-6pm it would take about 90 minutes to get home with the traffic. I can (and do) drive to the Atlantic in that amount of time now.

Bonus, DE has no idea WTF a HQL is....

Mowog

Dec 1, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chatham road itself is in a nice quiet section. Frederick road can be very busy. North Chatham off Frederick I think is one way north, which eliminates a lot of traffic as it can't be a short cut off 40. That would be plum tree one street west. That area historically has had the best schools in Ho Co. Northfield, Dunloggin and Centennial. Coming from PG you're probably OK with diversity, as the best schools in Ho Co generally have a strong asian presence.

There is a very nice shopping center off 103 Montgomery road nearby with target, kohls, outback carrabas. Library is close by.

This area was once a very prime area, still above average, but some newer communities have become more "desirable". Overall the chatham road area has some of the nicest houses and lots in Ho Co.

Bob, Ellicott City

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    The Ho Co school system consistently rates in the top 3 systems IN THE COUNTRY. Your wife may find that a deciding factor.

But, you need to know, lots of Asian immigrants specifically seek housing in the Centennial school district. Their kids are under tremendous social pressure to succeed. YOUR kids will have to compete with them for grades, & they may not be happy with that.

Yes, taxes will be high. But, you will get also get public water, public sewer, good roads, good fire & police protection, & great shopping. Everything is relative.

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    N. Chatham Rd. traffic is nothing. It's basicly a neighborhood street except for the area between the shopping center and 40. I'm guessing your looking at the house at the end of Paulskirk? Did you buy it?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    N. Chatham Rd. traffic is nothing. It's basicly a neighborhood street except for the area between the shopping center and 40. I'm guessing your looking at the house at the end of Paulskirk? Did you buy it?

That's the one, and no, we didn't get it. Too slow :sad20:

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    You really are slow. The house has been on the market since last April. Started out @ $525K. Last asking before it sold was $425K. From what I heard owners had never made any upgrades since they bought it 30 years ago with the exception of a new kitchen and finished basement. Original bathrooms etc. Apparently that was a turnoff to potential buyers. It's beyond me that people can't see beyond stuff like that. New buyers are moving in as I type. Most 4 bedroom colonials in the neighborhood sell for between $525k - $550. I always wondered why the guy didn't mow a little bit each year into the woods along side of the place and by now he would have had a huge 1 acre wooded lot. Instead he has weeds growing right up to his house. He was a golfer. I guess Saturday on the course was more important. BTW I live right up the street. It used to be a dead end street which is one of the reasons we bought. Anyway I guess we both missed out on somebody to go to the range with. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom