• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    I can't find it posted online so I am going from memory reading it at the range.

The Changes to the current rules are as followed.

Target Center used to be 4' off the ground 48" but they have upped that to 52"

In addition to stating Paper Targets only they specifically now say no Metal or Exploding Targets on the range.

The last That I remember if it isn't the last there might be one more.

At the Rifle range all shooters must shoot from the Bench in a sitting position and there is no prone or standing allowed.

I can understand the No Exploding Targets.

I am still trying to grasp The height change and the Bench only.

Is it Baffle Protection?

Is it trying to put the lead in one place?

Is it to stop overshoots ricochets off ground?

The one thing I hate there is the seats for the benches. One size does not fit all.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's like pistol grip stocks at clay ranges. Don't want to attract the wrong element.

Wombat Rancher

Aug 21, 2013
    I was there Saturday, the height I believe is actually 54" (not splitting hairs:innocent0) and it said no "free standing or prone" shooting at the rifle range. There happened to be an RSO there so I asked the dumb question, does "free standing mean no support, ie no leaning on the table or no standing period. I was told that they probably would not say anything if you were leaning against the table for support. Apparently (go figure:envy:) people have been free standing behind the tables so that the muzzles are now behind folks who are seated, a little common sense by some of these shooters (I know a lot to ask:sad20:) could have prevented this. Anyway, the family and I had a great time all weekend there, apparently the idiots all stayed home.:party29:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I was there Saturday, the height I believe is actually 54" (not splitting hairs:innocent0) and it said no "free standing or prone" shooting at the rifle range. There happened to be an RSO there so I asked the dumb question, does "free standing mean no support, ie no leaning on the table or no standing period. I was told that they probably would not say anything if you were leaning against the table for support. Apparently (go figure:envy:) people have been free standing behind the tables so that the muzzles are now behind folks who are seated, a little common sense by some of these shooters (I know a lot to ask:sad20:) could have prevented this. Anyway, the family and I had a great time all weekend there, apparently the idiots all stayed home.:party29:

Those rules do not go into effect until July 1st.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Are melons and pumpkins considered exploding targets?

No standing so the bullets won't strike the ground and fly over the berm.

No sitting so the bullets won't fly over the berm.

The above would negate the need for a 52 inch target height.

Carrying a brick with you at all times will help with the seat height because you can have low, medium, and tall adjustments.

Sadly, nothing will prevent the least common denominator from doing really stupid things and putting folks in danger.

Maybe posting a Webster's definition of the word HANDLE would help.

PS: For 50 bucks a year, I'll still shoot there.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Never shot at Elk Neck before and got an invite to shoot up there with a few people on Wednesday next week. What kind of crowd should we expect on a weekday?

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    Never shot at Elk Neck before and got an invite to shoot up there with a few people on Wednesday next week. What kind of crowd should we expect on a weekday?

It's usually pretty slow on (non-holiday) weekdays. I never go on a weekend to shoot, only on weekdays. :)

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Weekdays are the best days to shoot. Weekends are a little crazy in my experience until about noon. If I have to go on a weekend I usually try to wait until 2-3 pm. Most people get up early and shoot between 9 and noon. Then take off and get lunch and get on with their days.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    As promised, I have attached a PDF with the new range rules for the ranges at Elk Neck State Forest, effective July 1, 2014.

The change for the center height of the targets is based on science and testing. Sitting at the bench with either elbow resting or a gun rest, place the muzzle generally at about 48” off of the ground. The top of the bench is 36” off of the ground. The intent is for all rounds to make it to the center of the backstop at any distance being shot. Our testing distance started at 30 yards. Shooting at 48” from 30 yards was close to the center of the berm, but had varying results.

The no standing rule or prone is consistent with other ranges managed by the Forest Service and there will be no exceptions. Just for the record, the NRA pistol competitive meets use a 54” target center height. There have been zero calls at the office about the changes. Please note other ranges have had similar issues, especially on their pistol ranges. The AGC is experimenting with 70"-72" (bottom of the target) due to damage being caused by shooters shooting at close distances (3, 7, 10, 15 yds) and failing to have rounds reach the designated impact area.

Also, you may or may not be aware, a significant repair project is scheduled to start in June. The staff will be repairing the eye brows and back stop at the rifle range. Once done, we will be reducing the size of the pistol range. 4 out of 6 lanes will be reduced to a maximum of 25 yards as no one is really shooting beyond that distance. Two lanes will remain at 50 yds. The new distance will have a new berm and eyebrow. The two old ones will have a new eyebrow installed. They will also be adding a new baffle and making repairs every Monday beginning the first part of July.

As always, the MD Park Service, DNR, and your friendly ENSF volunteer RSO staff appreciate you cooperation in making ENSF a safe place to shoot!

Last edited:

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    Thank You Michael.

I appreciate the info.

I was there last Friday.

It was to say the least sad.

I came in and everyone was spread out and the only bench at that time was the third bench from right.

The Problem was I could not place a target. The guys to the left of me had theirs although not bad a little more to the left than they should of but it was not like they were going cross range.

The guys to the right of me though on the last 2 benches they were bad.

They had their left target almost sitting next to the support. The guy on second bench was shooting so much of an angle that his hits on the berm was behind the support.

They also had one of their guns sitting on their equipment behind the line pointed right down the line.

Was going to leave but they were packing up when I got there so stayed but it is a prime example why we can't have nice things.

I did take a picture before they retrieved their targets.

that is the third bench from the right with the spotting scope. The guy was shooting the left target from the second bench left side. I don't think they did it but notice the last baffle and the chewed up piece of rubber sticking out on the columns to the left. They are not the first to do that.

Beware potato pic and not well balanced but you can get the setup.

http://imgur.com/XE3yla8

Maybe they will recognize their setup and feel a little shame.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So how is this going to be enforced?

I don't care about the change. That's an extra 12 inch piece of 3/4" steel pipe screwed on to the stand. So not a big deal.

Is the measurement tolerance +- 1/2", +- 1", +- 2", +- 3" ???

You know where I'm going with this.

Will the rangers have their own tape measures or do we have to bring our own so we can staple the targets at the precise height?

I'll simply ask that you guys don't go all range Nazi on us shooters.

I prefer not to call Elk Neck little Annapolis.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    So how is this going to be enforced?

I don't care about the change. That's a extra 12 inch piece of 3/4" steel pipe screwed on to the stand. So not a big deal.

Is the measurement tolerance +- 1/2", +- 1", +- 2", +- 3" ???

You know where I'm going with this.

Will the rangers have their own tape measures or do we have to bring our own so we can staple the targets at the precise height?

I'll simply ask that you guys don't go all range Nazi on us shooters.

I prefer not to call Elk Neck little Annapolis.

LOL

During my last tour as an RSO at Elk Neck, I had a 1"x2" cut to 48" . I just told new shooters coming to the line that the center of their targets had to be "at least this hieght' in order to shoot" ( much like the phrase at most amusement parks about being this tall to ride).

Most found it amusing and a help in setting their targets before they took them downrange.

I am sure my 48" target height "voodoo" stick was not to NIST standards but it gives the shooters an idea about where the target center needs to be. I am sure other RSOs will follow a similar example with the new requirement (54"). I doubt if any of us will be there with a micrometer. The goal is make sure each round hits the impact area.

Maybe it is my past experience as an CRSO/RSO/line official, but I do keep a tape measure with me. In fact, up until recently I kept a 100 yd tape in my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom