• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    I believe a good opportunity to get a new advocate for responsible gun ownership was missed. In 5 minutes you could have given him the 4 basic safety rules, told him about this community, mentioned the need and opportunity for training and signed him up for the NRA.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I think an on the spot correction would have been the great response. The new shooter might have just left and came back another day and this time a different a not so lucky day. I just hope the new shooter found someone who cared to help a fellow shooter out.

Damn, you sure blew that one. Hell I spend most of my time at the range helping my friends who are new to shooting. If I didn't they most likely would have given up by now. It's amazing what you can teach someone in 5 minutes if you want to. My one buddy just started shooting a few months ago and I have spent a lot of my time with him. Now one of his other friends and his wife are getting involved through him. That's how you do it my friend. I hope after reading these posts if your ever afforded the opportunity to help a new shooter again you will rethink your approach.:)

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Yeah... Ouch. That was not the best way to handle this situation. And I'm shocked you thought you'd find many here who would sympathize. I agree it was a fairly unsafe situation, and backing up was smart. But I think giving some quick pointers and important safety lessons would have gone a long way to promote our community. Most of my friends aren't gun owners and I go out of my way to try and get them out with me. When one of my friends inherited a bunch of guns, I told him to bring them over and we field stripped every one of his guns, and cleaned and lubed everything. It was fun for me and educational for him. Remember, we all started somewhere and we know what we know today because someone was kind enough to show us or instruct us on what we needed/wanted to know. I probably would have took both of them aside and gone over gun safety; show them how to strip and clean their gun; and then help them safely get set up and shoot. Lastly, i would have recommended our forum and some of my favorite YouTube channels.

tkelley

May 25, 2013
    north east
    I live very close to the north east range (can hear it from home) and go there a lot. There are people that have just bought a new gun at walmart or for hand guns Delaware. So keep in mind everyone starts someplace at some time. Take a day a hang out a any range to help. As I was told by my dad a new shooter that does well with help keeps shooting. A new shooter that hated the first day wont.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Is there any productive purpose or redeeming quality of this thread?

While I understand wanting to preserve your own safety and well being, we have all at one point been a newbie and probably violated some sort of shooting etiquette. I am not suggesting you should have taken his pistol out of his hand, you could have walked him through making it safe and given some suggestions as to his next shooting experience.

I'm sure you're a fine person, but just keep in mind that you are an ambassador for the sport and for this forum. Could have been a fellow member here for all we know.

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, but consider what this person may have done without further instruction. Who knows if he will safely clear the weapon, know what to do the next time he shoots and maybe he is thinking he can take others shooting. Kind of scary.

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    I usually don't go there on a Saturday, but the weather was nice and went early. I got to the pistol side and was beginning to unload my gear and was pleased. Only one couple had just started shooting. They were reading the instruction book and the guy walks up to me with a Ruger LC9 pointed at my feet. He said he just got the firearm yesterday (new box, glasses, etc) and didn't know how to load the magazine. He had a FTE and didn't know at to do and tried to hand it to me. No checking, breach closed. No thanks. I asked him if he cleaned and lubed the firearm since it's new and he said no. He did not have any cleaning supplies or tools. He is not going to borrow mine. I also noticed his target stand was fresh cut wood and below the minimum of 48 inches. I said, "whoops I forgot my keys to my 9mm" and promptly left and went to the rifle side. I came back an hour later and they were gone. I am still alive and safe. :innocent0

One question; How did he have a FTE if he was asking you for help on how to load the magazine?

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    One question; How did he have a FTE if he was asking you for help on how to load the magazine?

I think the OP showed him how to load the magazine, and then at another point, the guy had a FTE, he brought the loaded gun to him again and it scared the OP because the guy didn't drop the magazine from the gun, or try to clear the FTE.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    The dude should of youtubed in on his phone, or his girl's phone. There is so much stuff on the net these day. The OP did not do anything wrong. I too would of moved. I can see the muzzle going behind the bench, and getting pointed at other shooters, and with his girl, maybe a limp wrist could jam the gun and the dude trying to clear, and dude next to them gets shot. Thats why i always try to be on the right side of people when i go shooting.

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    not being a jerk but nobody is perfect. i am nobody also that learned all the things that i know now in an instant. somebody thought me too. i remember my first range experience where i ask and somebody came up to me and help me through. spent time explaining what this and that. last thing i know he is a deputy sheriff visiting the range as a civilian.
    this is where your interest in firearms start but the way you treated those couple is like they dont belong to the gun community... :sad20::sad20::sad20:

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Elk Neck was great today . Everyone knew what they were doing . I even gladly helped the range personnel check the berm :) . Seems they were getting ready for the youths on Saturday . 200 rounds of 7.62 and now my cheek s sore. Well worth taking the day off

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom