• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Sarge

Oct 31, 2023
    Essex, Md
    As most of you know, the Elk Neck Range has been closed to rifle and shotgun shooters since December. I called up there last week and was told that the range may be closed for the rest of this year. They will not state what the damage is that they have to repair. What type of damage can they possibly have that would require that long to repair. I have already called a State Delegate to check into this and I would advise anyone who enjoys that range to contact your state representatives to let the state know that this situation is of concern to you and to urge repair as soon as possible.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    As most of you know, the Elk Neck Range has been closed to rifle and shotgun shooters since December. I called up there last week and was told that the range may be closed for the rest of this year. They will not state what the damage is that they have to repair. What type of damage can they possibly have that would require that long to repair. I have already called a State Delegate to check into this and I would advise anyone who enjoys that range to contact your state representatives to let the state know that this situation is of concern to you and to urge repair as soon as possible.
    My guess is that they lack funding to do... whatever.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    My guess is that they lack funding to do... whatever.
    Probably. Or they could have a very inefficient process, requiring drafting a work spec, soliciting bids, etc.

Best guess on "whatever": replacement of baffles/posts because of di*kheads shooting at them. They might also be doing "lead abaitment" while it is shut down (e.g. sifting the berm).

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    I bet they were inspected and they now need to do lead reclamation, improve the range with backboards, place wood height placards at each station and the list goes on for violations. Just the lead reclamation could cost as much depending 60k to 70k. Im this place is near water or has ponds etc then $$$$$$$$$$$$.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I bet they were inspected and they now need to do lead reclamation, improve the range with backboards, place wood height placards at each station and the list goes on for violations. Just the lead reclamation could cost as much depending 60k to 70k. Im this place is near water or has ponds etc then $$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Lead reclamation is a moneymaker for private ranges. The reclamation company brings their equipment inand removes all the lead. They sell it and the range gets a percentage. Several years ago the AGC had the lead reclaimed from thier ranges and they netted a little over $100K. Having said this, Elk Neck is state owned so the taxpayers might end up paying.

ENSF

Nov 22, 2008
    Good Morning,

The eyebrow and backstop that was installed in 2014 failed due to several reasons. That backstop is the last component for attempting to keep rounds from leaving the range. Designs are being done to develop a new system with longevity in mind and possibly the ability to easily recycle the lead. Additionally, lead reclamation will be completed as this range has been open since 1973. At some point in the near future, possibly this year as well, all 13 baffles are scheduled to be replaced under a new project at both the pistol and rifle range to hopefully extend the life of those structures as they are each repaired roughly every 8 months due to damage. It used to be a three year interval on repairs, but that is not the case anymore. So rushing to reopen then close again is not an option either. There are a lot of moving pieces to this project that some in this thread have hit upon, but trust me, we are trying to get this done as soon as possible. It has to be done right the first time.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Good Morning,

The eyebrow and backstop that was installed in 2014 failed due to several reasons. That backstop is the last component for attempting to keep rounds from leaving the range. Designs are being done to develop a new system with longevity in mind and possibly the ability to easily recycle the lead. Additionally, lead reclamation will be completed as this range has been open since 1973. At some point in the near future, possibly this year as well, all 13 baffles are scheduled to be replaced under a new project at both the pistol and rifle range to hopefully extend the life of those structures as they are each repaired roughly every 8 months due to damage. It used to be a three year interval on repairs, but that is not the case anymore. So rushing to reopen then close again is not an option either. There are a lot of moving pieces to this project that some in this thread have hit upon, but trust me, we are trying to get this done as soon as possible. It has to be done right the first time.
    Thank you for the update.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    So where is an alternative rifle range that won’t bankrupt the average person and is reasonably accessible? (As in no wait for membership)

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    So where is an alternative rifle range that won’t bankrupt the average person and is reasonably accessible? (As in no wait for membership)

Members of Maryland Shall Issue are eligible for a 2024 Range Badge, NO WAITING LIST.
    The range is open 363 days per year (Closed X-mas any New Years Day)

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    The DNR Compass portal took my money for an annual range pass.

How do I get my 50 bucks back?

I didn't know Elk Neck was closed all year when I bought the pass, but they sure as hell did.

Thanks.

PS: If it never reopens, I wouldn't be surprised. And if it does reopen, I'd bet it becomes a lead-free range. I absolutely still do H8DemLibz.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Probably. Or they could have a very inefficient process, requiring drafting a work spec, soliciting bids, etc.

Best guess on "whatever": replacement of baffles/posts because of di*kheads shooting at them. They might also be doing "lead abaitment" while it is shut down (e.g. sifting the berm).
    THIS

I ran the project replacing water and sewer lines at Point Lookout prior to switching careers and moving to the Gov't last August....It's miserably slow and much like the Gov't, unless there are funds specifically appropriated for the repairs/construction....It probably isn't getting done anytime on their shoestring budget

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Pistol range is open. DNR is working on funding for reconstruction of the rifle range, which might happen before December.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

I didn't know Elk Neck was closed all year when I bought the pass, but they sure as hell did.

Thanks.

PS: If it never reopens, I wouldn't be surprised. And if it does reopen, I'd bet it becomes a lead-free range. I absolutely still do H8DemLibz.
    Guess there is no hope for me in requesting a name change. I really thought that IH8DemLibz was the bets moniker going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom