• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Hey, everyone! I’m working up my CZ457 and found it really likes Eley Benchrest 40gr at around 1070 ft/sec.
    IMG_3815.jpeg

Does anyone know of a local (central Maryland) shop that carries this on the regular?

I can order online, but with shipping it’s pushing 30 cents/rnd. I know it’s pricey but every penny counts nowadays.

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    Don't know a local source but sgammo.com has 500 rds bricks for $110 before tax and free shipping for orders over $200.

J

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Don't know a local source but sgammo.com has 500 rds bricks for $110 before tax and free shipping for orders over $200.

J
    Appreciate the heads-up! Not a bad price with free shipping, and failing local I’ll end up getting some of this.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    From my experience, if you do find a local source in Maryland it will probably be more expensive than the prices on line.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I find it nearly impossible to find any match .22lr locally. I gave up and just order online. I advise saving yourself the trouble.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    I can’t recall ever finding any “match level” .22 locally. I usually get mine from Champions Choice and sometimes find Eley for a pretty good price from Midway USA.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    When my youngest was competing we routinely purchased match grade ammo from either champions choice in TN or from International Shooter’s Service in Ft Worth.

ISS (817) 595-2090, owner Neal Stepp

Champions choice has a good website and contact info is there.

Another thought is to contact Lapua at the Cardinal shooters center in OH as they have a test facility to match your rifle to the best performing lot.

Once we knew which lot her rifle liked, I purchased several cases thru Champions Choice

Cardinal is an easy drive (just north of Columbus) and I wish it opened earlier as it would have been preferred over shipping her rifle to AZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ….Once we knew which lot her rifle liked, I purchased several cases thru Champions Choice ….

^That^ is the way.

Many (most?) times I place an online order for match 22 I have my truck packed and am ready to go straight to the range as soon as the delivery arrives … I’ve found this necessary to avoid dealers running out when they’re running a sale or special.

Painful reminder le$$on when I failed to be ready two years ago: an online dealer down in GA, who typically never deals in rimfire let alone match, had bricks of RWS Rifle Match for some ridiculously low price so, I bought five. Waited a week to go to range and discover the stuff is (was) the shizzit out of a favorite Model 41 I shoot indoor gallery league with.

I ran outside the range for a signal to call the vendor and asked, “Do you have any more of this?!!!!!

Alls I got was …

Attachments

• IMG_4567.jpeg
      IMG_4567.jpeg
      32.3 KB · Views: 43

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I can’t recall ever finding any “match level” .22 locally. I usually get mine from Champions Choice and sometimes find Eley for a pretty good price from Midway USA.
    This. Figure out what you want. Check Champion's Choice and ISS. Then take a look at Midway and Brownells...you might get lucky. Order by the case.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the voices of experience!

I’ll just keep my eye out online.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    ^That^ is the way.

Many (most?) times I place an online order for match 22 I have my truck packed and am ready to go straight to the range as soon as the delivery arrives … I’ve found this necessary to avoid dealers running out when they’re running a sale or special.

Painful reminder le$$on when I failed to be ready two years ago: an online dealer down in GA, who typically never deals in rimfire let alone match, had bricks of RWS Rifle Match for some ridiculously low price so, I bought five. Waited a week to go to range and discover the stuff is (was) the shizzit out of a favorite Model 41 I shoot indoor gallery league with.

I ran outside the range for a signal to call the vendor and asked, “Do you have any more of this?!!!!!

Alls I got was …

When we got the test results from the lapua range in AZ and it contained a lot which shot a thumb nail at 100m for 10 shots…I bought every box they had in inventory. Cost me a pretty penny. UPS guy HATED me, but she knew without a doubt… the ammo wasn’t the issue if she didn’t shoot well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    test results from the lapua
    I can’t find any Lapua (other than a couple boxes of their “Polar Biathlon”) ammo anywhere. I have an Annie 1903 that doesn’t like any of the ELEY that I have and wanted to try some “Center X” in it but can’t find it anywhere to purchase.
    had bricks of RWS Rifle Match

I was able to find RWS Rifle Match at Champions Choice so bought a 500 round brick of it to try in the Anschutz 1903. Hopefully it likes it as much as your S&W does…

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I can’t find any Lapua (other than a couple boxes of their “Polar Biathlon”) ammo anywhere. I have an Annie 1903 that doesn’t like any of the ELEY that I have and wanted to try some “Center X” in it but can’t find it anywhere to purchase.

I was able to find RWS Rifle Match at Champions Choice so bought a 500 round brick of it to try in the Anschutz 1903. Hopefully it likes it as much as your S&W does…

FWIW, I have rarely paid any attention to what the European mfrs “brand” their different lines;

…. that is to say, I have tested and then found success shooting cases of ammo designated as “pistol” on the outside of the box out of rifles and vice versa.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy and test a brick of “Polar Biathlon” if I couldn’t find a specific “name.”

At one time earlier this year, Global Ordnance was sitting on a pallet of the RWS Rifle …

ETA: d*mmit, scratch ^that^, not seeing it now :-( :

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    FWIW, I have rarely paid any attention to what the European mfrs “brand” their different lines;

…. that is to say, I have tested and then found success shooting cases of ammo designated as “pistol” on the outside of the box out of rifles and vice versa.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy and test a brick of “Polar Biathlon” if I couldn’t find a specific “name.”

At one time earlier this year, Global Ordnance was sitting on a pallet of the RWS Rifle …

ETA: d*mmit, scratch ^that^, not seeing it now :-( :
    Yeah I agree polar biathlon, semi-auto, rifle, pistol, benchrest, precision, etc. all adjectives that they use to try to sell product typically doesn’t really matter. Just try as much as you can to find what your rimfire “likes”. I would have not hesitated on the Polar Biathlon if I could have purchased several hundred rounds (in case it was really good in my gun) but they only had a couple 50 rd boxes.

Thanks for the link to Global Ordnance I was not aware of them will keep an eye on their site for ammo.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Be careful with subsonic pistol target ammo. Some manufactures even warn in their descriptions that it may not leave the barrel of a longer rifle.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Two of the most comprehensive .22 ammo tests:

Test of 55 different types of ammo at 50, 75, and 100 yards in a Bleiker rifle:

50 yard target pictures:

75 yard target pictures:

100 yard target pictures:

Our New .22 LR Ammo Test, all at 100 yards but some sorted by weight and some by rim thickness, see the notes at the beginning (scroll down for pictures):

They also did a test using several different rifles but I cant find it at the moment so here is the link to the forum where the discussion and results of these and a bunch of other tests were posted. There are 42 pages of threads so have fun looking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom