• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Interesting....as an FFL myself, I'll look into how the process works. I will ask MSP directly with this cited law code.

MSP was sued in 2013 for this very thing and they lost. An FFL may release after 7 days if they haven’t heard from the MSP. After that it’s MSP’s problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    No offense, but how as an FFL do you not know this?

Because we are not lawyers and don't know everything. It's pretty simple. Try running your own business with the paperwork load and being told if you make a mistake with regulated firearms they will instantly yank your license to operate. My guess is simply that FFL's will not take the risk of going out of business from the extra paperwork and margin of error over making someone wait and not being confused.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    So here's the law statute for you folks, pertaining to applications placed "On Hold". They differ from a no response. This is quoted from law, not interpretation.

1687879359894.png

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Yes but the OP isn’t on hold he just hasn’t received a response, therefore the shop can legally transfer it to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have a customer who IS "On Hold" and that's why I had said originally it can't be transferred. They make this s**t confusing on purpose...I swear.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They do have special talent for making things both confusing and difficult. We elect them just for this reason.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    They do have special talent for making things both confusing and difficult. We elect them just for this reason.

It's likely why the FFL will not take the risk of their business being shut down over just having the customer wait. Illegally releasing a piece to someone, even if you thought you were in the right, and even it was only once, would be ground to have your FFL revoked under this administration.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ok, today's update.
    No email from MSP. Logged onto website. Found a little message icon. Opened, it said the dealer entered the wrong ID or the gun is not on roster. Of course it is, I bought an identical model thru the same shop last year.

Called the shop. They looked into it. Clerk had entered.the info manually because the CZ stuff is confusing; CZ Brno for Czech, CZ USA for other. The upshot is I get another 7 days to wait.

This is what Maryland does best.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ok, today's update.
    No email from MSP. Logged onto website. Found a little message icon. Opened, it said the dealer entered the wrong ID or the gun is not on roster. Of course it is, I bought an identical model thru the same shop last year.

Called the shop. They looked into it. Clerk had entered.the info manually because the CZ stuff is confusing; CZ Brno for Czech, CZ USA for other. The upshot is I get another 7 days to wait.

Jeezus

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I had to wait probably 7 or 8 weeks back in 2013 from an IP here because they wouldn't release. Will never buy another firearm from them.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I had to wait probably 7 or 8 weeks back in 2013 from an IP here because they wouldn't release. Will never buy another firearm from them.
    Those were strange times...My family had similar experiences and also 7/8th day releases from different shops.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Ok, today's update.

I mean...I guess that's a legit explanation. At least you weren't erroneously and secretly prohibited somehow :shrug:

It does suck that their carelessness is costing you so much time. Hopefully the dealer will offer some consolation prize. :fingerscrossed:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I mean...I guess that's a legit explanation. At least you weren't erroneously and secretly prohibited somehow :shrug:

It does suck that their carelessness is costing you so much time. Hopefully the dealer will offer some consolation prize. :fingerscrossed:

Yeah, at least my dogs are safe from the forces of Law and Order.

I made certain to mention to the dealer that I understood they'd received an email from MSP about the pistol misidentification. There was an "I'm sorry" in the conversation stream, IIRC, so that's of some comfort.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Yeah, at least my dogs are safe from the forces of Law and Order.

I made certain to mention to the dealer that I understood they'd received an email from MSP about the pistol misidentification. There was an "I'm sorry" in the conversation stream, IIRC, so that's of some comfort.
    I know they are in the business to make money, but I would at the very least give you $10 back for the MSP fee...and maybe toss in a box of ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom