• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    I went to walmart on quarterfield rd last night and like always I check to see if they had any ammo which to my surprise they did. The employees were helping another customer from out of state with a rifle purchase. As I was waiting I overheard their conversation and this is what I heard. As the employee pulled the rifle out of the box for the customer to look at, but he said "by law I cannot let you handle the gun, but I will show it to you." I spoke up and asked what law is that? The employees replied "we can't hand a gun to someone unless it has a trigger lock on it" I told him there was no law, state or federal that says that and they must mean their store policy. I don't have an issue with a policy like that, just don't tell people its the law. They looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about and they went back to helping the other customer.

I turns out the rifle was not the correct model the customer wanted but they had already done the NICS check. They then proceeded to tell the customer that if he didn't buy the rifle today, he couldn't buy one for 30 days. I again spoke up and informed them that was a Maryland law relating to regulated firearms and it did not apply to a non regulated rifle, and that the feds don't care how many times you buy a firearm.

I know its just Walmart and all but come on man!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    My wife bought a Henry lever .22LR for me for Christmas, about 7 or 8 years ago, at the local Walmart.

The clown who sold it to her, told her that she absolutely, positively had to go with me to a Maryland State Police barracks, and have it officially transferred to me, as soon as she gave it to me.

Walmart literally gives their employees no training, and they simply put together whatever half-truths or incomplete facts they've heard from random people.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I was standing there as well.

The guy buying the gun didn't have a middle name and the Walmart assoc (I call him Wayne, from Wayne's World) wouldn't help him. I told him to put in none or N/A and the WM guy said you can't help him. I laughed.

The goof wouldn't sell any ammo while the guy was filling out the online form either.

At that point I bailed on the ammo and went to another register to check out.

I have another story to tell about once I got out to my car, but that'll come later this evening.

Watdahec

Flipside
    Oct 31, 2012
    Glen burnie

The guy buying the gun didn't have a middle name and the Walmart assoc (I call him Wayne, from Wayne's World) wouldn't help him. I told him to put in none or N/A and the WM guy said you can't help him. I laughed.

The goof wouldn't sell any ammo while the guy was filling out the online form either.

I have another story to tell about once I got out to my car, but that'll come later this evening.

I know exactly who your talking about:lol2:
    Totally f&$k$ng gnarly duuuude!

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    2999762759_ee26655dbe_z.jpg

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    It's not just walmart making things up. I've seen gun stores not knowing what's what. For instance, at On Target the other day, an employee told an Active Duty soldier that he'd need fingerprints and facial recognition stuff costing 100-200 bucks to buy a pistol after 1 October so he better buy now. I've heard from coworkers about how AR-10s were, per an FFL, going to be banned 1 October.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    My wife bought a Henry lever .22LR for me for Christmas, about 7 or 8 years ago, at the local Walmart.

The clown who sold it to her, told her that she absolutely, positively had to go with me to a Maryland State Police barracks, and have it officially transferred to me, as soon as she gave it to me.

Walmart literally gives their employees no training, and they simply put together whatever half-truths or incomplete facts they've heard from random people.

Not to defend the guy at Walmart, but he may have been confused about Straw Purchases. However, you are right to assume that they don't know what they are talking about most of the time.

02psmwag

Mar 25, 2012
    Shady side
    I am a regular attendee of this walmart (sometimes twice a day) and watched may of people buy multiple gun form this store at one time. I haven't had much problems with 2 of the sales associates at the gun counter. The Wayne's world fellow is sad at best behind the counter and is sad when he ask customers about the firearm that they are looking at. The younger guy (aka Department Mgr) told me that they were getting some 22lr in at around 4pm. Well at 5:45pm i was talking to another associate who said his co-worker the older shorter guy who works the counter to bring the 22lr out with him. As I stood at the counter talking to the one sales guy i usually talk to whom asked the other gentleman to bring the ammo out so I could get a box. He sold the boxes to two guy who followed him the counter. Needless to say 2hr of trying to get some ammo to go plink with this weekend and end up with nothing. Not too happy about that right now but I did score some when I got my 10/22 2 months ago. It usually pays off to be buddies with people in retail

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD

Wow, it even says on the 4473 that if you do not have a Middle name to enter NMN (stand for No Middle Name) . I guess reading is not a requirement for Wally World employees either.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Guys, this is a Walmart. If you are relying on legal advice from Walmart employees, just put the handcuffs on right now. Problem is, the person buying the rifle also has no clue who this other customer is that is trying to inform them of what the law is.

At the minimum, this sort of stuff should be reported to Walmart, but it would sooner result in Walmart not selling firearms anymore than Walmart actually hiring competent sales people in the sporting goods department and training them properly.

I am so glad I can buy hunting and fishing licenses online now. Whenever I went to Walmart to get one, it literally resulted in an argument with the sales person helping me.

Just going there to buy 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 results in some type of comment once they ring up 4 or 5 of them.

Don't get me started about trying to get a key cut at the Eldersburg Walmart last week. The manager of the automotive department had to go find his keys to open the cabinet for the keys with transponders in them. It took him 15 minutes to come back and then it turns out that the cabinet was unlocked in the first place.

Simply put, it is Walmart. I would not ask a sales associate for any advice other than "Where do you keep such and such". My 6 year old would probably give me better advice.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The stories here are why it's best to buy from small, personable gun shops, even if you pay more. You'll save yourself a world of aggravation and stress, especially if you build a solid relationship with the shop as a repeat customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom