• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    if you could buy direct from atlantic, i'd say go for it, but since they refuse to sell to MD residents (per posts and PM's i've received on arfcom and here) even though they're IN maryland, you're just going to be out even more for their "shipping" fees to another in-state dealer, then compensating that dealer for taking the time to complete the transaction. maybe hit up gunbroker; there's likely to be one there.

that or a converted saiga. look into those too. if you can find a PAP for 500 or so, you're okay. otherwise just get a wasr and i can help refinish when i get home. :)

I bought from Atlantic earlier this year. I think it's Centerfiresystems that has issues with MD.

JR9390

Jan 2, 2012
    Definately a SGL 21, Find it online for a good price and search for a local FFL who will do the transfer for you for a fair fee.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    At $460 for a Saiga, you're better off just buying an M10. No way you'd be able to do the conversion and keep under $570-$600.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    At $460 for a Saiga, you're better off just buying an M10. No way you'd be able to do the conversion and keep under $570-$600.

Not anymore. The days of the $400 or so converted Saiga's have passed. Makes me wish I had bought more of them for $179.99.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My current thinking on the Saiga/VEPR conversions:
    5.45x39: marginal. WW AK-74s are a good deal.
    5.56x45: still makes sense.
    7.62x39: no point. M10s are a better deal.
    .308: still makes sense.
    7.62x54R: still makes sense.
    12g: marginal at the current ~$600 price point. VEPR 12s are a better deal.
    20g: still makes sense
    .410: still makes sense (insofar as this ever made sense)

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Maybe its a new policy?

I bought an AK-74 from them a few years ago no problem. They shipped the mag to an out-of-state address.

But like you and rob-cubed said the extra taxes and fees make it not worth doing business with Atlantic even though they are a good company. If I moved out of Maryland then I would be more inclined to do business with Atlantic.

Exactly, same here. I think I actually did buy a couple yugo 59/66's from them when I was stationed at Offutt way back in the day.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    If you are somewhat handy you can get a "Saiga IZ 332 100 Series Russian AK47 Rifle" from atlantic firearms at $459 , then convert it from sporting configuration to normal AK configuration with a new stock, trigger guard, trigger, hammer and disconnect.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ind..._id=1393&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=765

Question from the remedial section of the class: What are the pros/cons of this 'conversion'? What makes a sporter different from normal?

(From what I can tell, I just want a 7.62 gun, wood furniture, that can take cheap mags, but I'm slightly uncertain what that mean in practical terms. Lots of lingo getting tossed around that isn't entirely transparent to the n00b)

JR9390

Jan 2, 2012
    The conversion is only done to saiga rifles because in order to import rifles from russia the ATF has many rules about what can and can't be imported and a traditional AK from russia cannot be imported. If you goto the link above I left you'll see how the rifle is being imported into the US in a "sporting configuration" No pistol grip, no threaded muzzle brake and it does not take traditional AK mags. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe all saiga rifles are imported in this or one just slightly different as far as the handguards on the front end.

JR9390

Jan 2, 2012
    Then companies such as arsenal arrange the part counts in rifle to comply with section 922 by having fewer than 10 importated parts that they have designated. Arsenal then welds back over the 5 holes left in the receiver and grinds them back down flush. It installs a new rifle furniture, buttstock, pistol grip, trigger, hammer, disconnect and files down the mag catch or replaces it so that the weapon accepts traditional mags. This rifle is also legal in several states that have assault weapons in place.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Then companies such as arsenal arrange the part counts in rifle to comply with section 922 by having fewer than 10 importated parts that they have designated. Arsenal then welds back over the 5 holes left in the receiver and grinds them back down flush. It installs a new rifle furniture, buttstock, pistol grip, trigger, hammer, disconnect and files down the mag catch or replaces it so that the weapon accepts traditional mags. This rifle is also legal in several states that have assault weapons in place.

I didn't think they welded the holes on the bottom of the receiver, the Saiga has a plate covering the original hole for the trigger group which just has to be removed, and the hole used for the trigger on the stock model is actually the hole used to mount the pistol grip on all AK's.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What's the consensus on a Hungarian AMD 65 for about $650 by TGI? Seems like a handy truck/car gun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I didn't think they welded the holes on the bottom of the receiver, the Saiga has a plate covering the original hole for the trigger group which just has to be removed, and the hole used for the trigger on the stock model is actually the hole used to mount the pistol grip on all AK's.
    You're forgetting the axis pin holes used for that original trigger. After you do the conversion, you've got a couple empty holes in your gun from that. Welding works alright, but requires a refinish. I am personally a little skeptical that Arsenal welds the holes on these guns, and isn't just receiving a different variant with the FCG already moved forward. There's nothing in the ATF importation rules that would seem to demand the FCG be where the Saiga puts it.

What's the consensus on a Hungarian AMD 65 for about $650 by TGI? Seems like a handy truck/car gun.
    Seems overpriced. J&G sells 'em for $470. If you were willing to spend $650, just buy the M+M M10.

Assuming you find one for a less-absurd price, the AMD-65s are pretty nice, but require some work to make them into comfortable shooters. If you want a light AK and/or one that's easy to SBR, they're a unique option.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Surplus mags . Start out with a good rifle. I have 2 Century Yugo's, pretty but could use some fine tuning.2 Lancaster's accurate, 2 Sgl 21 models from Arsenal, Durable ,accurate,reasonable for what your getting. I would replace the yugo's and the Lancaster's for more Arsenal built any day.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    All of the above speculation and conflicting information is exactly why I say...buy preban Chicom. You know exactly what you are getting so long as it hasn't been dickered with.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012

$650? I'm pretty sure you can still find them for around $450. I got mine for $419 shipped from buds guns earlier this year. They are well made especially for the price. I swapped out the rubber pg's to hungarian wood and added amd65tech cheek riser and sling loop. No mag wobble on mine and feeds every time. Only draw backs on mine are the shitty paint used to finish and the stock is damn tight even after I've open and closed it repeatedly. Still all in all a great deal!

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    All of the above speculation and conflicting information is exactly why I say...buy preban Chicom. You know exactly what you are getting so long as it hasn't been dickered with.

Good luck, not everybody can afford one. Most ak's will be reliable right out of the box. I did say most since some companies will squeeze out a few lemons here and there. Not saying any names.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I took my Yugo M70 out for the first time today. Using some older 20 round mags (which came in a green cloth pouch) that I had bought from Duffy's, I had no issues. I boresighted it at home and did 25 and 50 yards are ACG from the bench and offhand. It didn't like a 30 round mag I had bought in Chantilly and wouldn't feed.

To look through the top of my progressive lenses, I had to have the stock sort of high on my cheekbone so my head was low enough to see the sights. It beat me up a little. We'll see what happens when I put a red dot on it. (If I had a taller front sight post or adjusted it up, would it help?)

I just got an email about my $700 Yugo from Duffy's going for $599:
    http://www.classicfirearms.com/long...utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blackfriday2012

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom