• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I've noticed a RASH of spelling errors in thread titles lately. What's worse is when it's not just a spelling error but an incorrect date or key piece of info. Sometimes the error is so egregious that a new thread gets created. Often they are noticed by the OP shortly after posting. It'd be nice if you could edit the title yourself. Some other forums I'm on give you the ability to edit your thread title for a short time after initially posting.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I've noticed a RASH of spelling errors in thread titles lately. What's worse is when it's not just a spelling error but an incorrect date or key piece of info. Sometimes the error is so egregious that a new thread gets created. Often they are noticed by the OP shortly after posting. It'd be nice if you could edit the title yourself. Some other forums I'm on give you the ability to edit your thread title for a short time after initially posting.

^^^ +1

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    you can edit titles and even the forum message list for a short time after posting. not sure how long that time is though.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't think it's in the software unless you have mod options.

I am familiar with the admin controls on vBulletin. Ability to change thread titles is a setting in the software that can restricted to members with certain status and can be time limited or it can be open to the thread starter. Its up to the Admins what level of lock they want on it.

I hate it when someone uses "today" or "tomorrow" in a thread title as if the thread would disappear at the end of the day or the date would correct itself

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I hate it when someone uses "today" or "tomorrow" in a thread title as if the thread would disappear at the end of the day or the date would correct itself

This kills me too. How hard is it to date a title with a HINT at least to the subject?
    "Found this news link today" is a sad sad thread title.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

I lkie taht.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    you can edit titles and even the forum message list for a short time after posting. not sure how long that time is though.

It must be really short. I think the other forum I'm on gives you a couple hours.
    I'm an admin on another Vb forum and we allow 30 mins to edit your post.. to edit the title, just click on 'go advanced' and you can edit the title or post.. ;)

Oh, and we bust chops for pointing out spelling errorz... :nono:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    To fix thread titles here one only has 2-3 minutes or, it seems, until someone else posts in the thread. Then the title becomes uneditable. If you ask a mod early enough (I think within the first hour or so), they can fix it after this period. Joppaj has done it for me in the past.

I don't think there's an increase in typos or uninformative thread titles - seems to be pretty common such that I often use the mouse over function on thread titles to see if it's one that I would be interested in. Like Blaster, I really can't stand the ones that comprised of just a meaningless prepositional phrase (e.g. "In the news today").

My current favorite butchered thread title is the one on "Fan-nasty football". :lol2:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    To fix thread titles here one only has 2-3 minutes or, it seems, until someone else posts in the thread. Then the title becomes uneditable. If you ask a mod early enough (I think within the first hour or so), they can fix it after this period. Joppaj has done it for me in the past.

I don't think there's an increase in typos or uninformative thread titles - seems to be pretty common such that I often use the mouse over function on thread titles to see if it's one that I would be interested in. Like Blaster, I really can't stand the ones that comprised of just a meaningless prepositional phrase (e.g. "In the news today").

My current favorite butchered thread title is the one on "Fan-nasty football". :lol2:

Yeah, the fanasty football thread cracks me up:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom