• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ran across this and thought I would share...
    FWIW- Here is a good article explaining the basics of 1895, 1896 and Model 1896 Springfield Carbines.
    http://www.newmarketarms.com/springf...ge-p-1186.html

If examining the pictures- Please note that I question the stock's authenticity, as almost all '95/'96 carbines were used in The S.A.W. Add the peculiar position of the JSA cartouche (too close to the saddle ring) and I don't believe it is an unmolested stock. I'm sure that has a lot to do with why it is still for sale for "only" $2800. An all correct '95 carbine is easily worth that price.
    Rifles don't go to war and return in excellent condition with the inspector's stamp in a different location.

Early Krag Carbines are my favorite firearms. I am fortunate enough to own one of the first few hundred known to exist.

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Nice background info.

That seller does a lot of research, so much so that his GB ads are a pain as the item description is often buried.
    But he goes down to the nitty gritty detail in both words & pics, enough so that the informed buyer can draw their own conclusions.
    I bought a nice P.38 480 from him and was very pleased with the experience.
    He's actually a nice guy too. Just expensive.

Nice background info.

That seller does a lot of research, so much so that his GB ads are a pain as the item description is often buried.
    But he goes down to the nitty gritty detail in both words & pics, enough so that the informed buyer can draw their own conclusions.
    I bought a nice P.38 480 from him and was very pleased with the experience.
    He's actually a nice guy too. Just expensive.

This guy wrote- in a few paragraphs- what would take me a day of shooting (or night of drinking) to explain about Krag Carbines.
    VERY impressive research/writing for a re-seller. He did not cut and paste his info.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Was this guy at the antique arms show last weekend? I saw a nice Krag carbine there that looked identical.

Was this guy at the antique arms show last weekend? I saw a nice Krag carbine there that looked identical.

When walking aisles, I'm drawn to Krag magazine gates like, well, there are hundreds of analogies- you get the point.
    If he was there with it, I didn't see it. I only saw one '95 carbine and it was in Row K or L, near the back wall. It really got my attention because it was #26952? and mine is #26930- EXTREMELY close SN range for such a rare firearm.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The Krag was both attractive and smooth. Some stupid stuff on it IMO like bolt removal and it isn't particularly strong BUT still packs a potent punch... about like a 300 Savage. Not bad, not bad at all. ;):thumbsup: Mine (1898) was SERIOUSLY Bubbaed and still is but not so bad as it was anymore.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    When walking aisles, I'm drawn to Krag magazine gates like, well, there are hundreds of analogies- you get the point.
    If he was there with it, I didn't see it. I only saw one '95 carbine and it was in Row K or L, near the back wall. It really got my attention because it was #26952? and mine is #26930- EXTREMELY close SN range for such a rare firearm.

That must be the one I saw. I didn't look closely because I was on the hunt for revolvers. Did it look legit (unmodified)?

That must be the one I saw. I didn't look closely because I was on the hunt for revolvers. Did it look legit (unmodified)?

Oh yeah, up to and including the thin wrist stock.
    Thin wrist stocks were carry overs from Trapdoors and were major weak points. They were only issued on the very early '95 carbines. >95% were re-arsenaled to the thick wrist stock. All '96 and newer rifles and carbines were issued from SA with thick wrist stocks.
    This would help explain the $3900 price tag.

Jim'sKid

Feb 14, 2013
    Mount Airy
    Ran across this and thought I would share...
    FWIW- Here is a good article explaining the basics of 1895, 1896 and Model 1896 Springfield Carbines.
    http://www.newmarketarms.com/springf...ge-p-1186.html

If examining the pictures- Please note that I question the stock's authenticity, as almost all '95/'96 carbines were used in The S.A.W. Add the peculiar position of the JSA cartouche (too close to the saddle ring) and I don't believe it is an unmolested stock. I'm sure that has a lot to do with why it is still for sale for "only" $2800. An all correct '95 carbine is easily worth that price.
    Rifles don't go to war and return in excellent condition with the inspector's stamp in a different location.

Early Krag Carbines are my favorite firearms. I am fortunate enough to own one of the first few hundred known to exist.
    Squaregrouper:

Any other Krag online resources you could point me toward (including ammo)? I have what I think is a cutback version inherited from my uncle but I would like to be sure it isn't a carbine. Still shoots nice. I think they were selling them for about $1.50 when he picked it up. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Squaregrouper:

Any other Krag online resources you could point me toward (including ammo)? I have what I think is a cutback version inherited from my uncle but I would like to be sure it isn't a carbine. Still shoots nice. I think they were selling them for about $1.50 when he picked it up. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

These are the best internet forums for Krag stuff. Joe Farmers (5MadFarmers) and Dick Hosmer frequent them and are probably some of the most knowledgeable Krag guys alive.
    kragcollectorsassociation.com
    jouster.com

Ammo typically pops up just before deer season-- SAVE YOUR BRASS. It gets harder to find every year.

Post a picture and I can confirm if it is not a carbine, but won't be able to 100% confirm it is an authentic carbine from a single photo. There are lots of fakes out there.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

Attachments

• 1221200952_HDR.jpg
      1221200952_HDR.jpg
      104.9 KB · Views: 143

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    The stock cannot be converted back. The front sight has an 03 type barrel band and the receiver was most likely drilled for the peep sight.
    Enjoy it as a shooter, as the cost of turning that back into as issued condition will be far more expensive than buying one.
    Thank you sir ya scratching the surface currently I cant afford to pay attention. eBay has some parts but geez

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom