• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I'll be up a tree about 150’ from my house so it isn't a huge deal, I just didn't start hunting until this January so it was like 15 degrees every time I went out.

Thank you all so much
    See my post in #19. That's exactly what I do when it is above 40 degrees.
    That's what I kinda figured, didn't want to assume though :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks guys, would sticking a frozen 2L or two in the cavity after gutting work?

It's a start. You have a couple hours after a kill to start getting things cooled down. That' one reason I only hunt evenings this early in the season. Anything I kill now will be something worth the extra hassle. Plenty of time to grind does later.:party29:

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I had a successful night, first bow kill ever and i did it on opening day! Took 3.5 hours tracking blood through heavy brush tho lol

Attachments

• bowkilldoe.jpg
      bowkilldoe.jpg
      21.3 KB · Views: 170

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Good deal. I only had a fawn walk with in 20 feet of the blind and never alerted to my presence. I'm surprised there were no other mature does in the area with it. My son was happy that at least we spotted something. There is still plenty of time left so I'm not upset.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice work! Went out last night..does all around but, I'm looking for something with fuzzy horns. Got to try out my new Ozonics machine though. Sweated my buns off getting in.....not a single complaint from the deer and I had them 360 degs. around me.:brows:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Keep in mind the velvet being kept cool too if you want a mount. That's why getting the deer to a cooler or getting it home and skinned asap is important. Put the head/cape in the freezer right after skinning.

Even if I was a bow hunter NO WAY I'd hunt in this heat! I also don't like poison ivy lol.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Nothing but birds & squirrels moving so far...looking forward to cooler weather!

same here....add to it chipmunks...I have some loud neighbors...I dont know if they are affecting the movement but or if the deer winded me the last couple times Ive been out nothing comes in till I leave:sad20: They are mostly doe with fawns so they may just be extra cautious..

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Plenty of the damned things in HDG and Cecil county! Little black ones with white markings on them, out all day long as well as night, and fly pretty fast when you try to smack at them. Sometimes repellent works, depends on their mood. Thermacell always works though, but don't want to waste that sitting on the porch every day. Then the horse fly looking things out at the Cecil land! Buzzing back and forth. Thermacell works on them too, as does gun smoke LOL.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Plenty of the damned things in HDG and Cecil county! Little black ones with white markings on them, out all day long as well as night, and fly pretty fast when you try to smack at them. Sometimes repellent works, depends on their mood. Thermacell always works though, but don't want to waste that sitting on the porch every day. Then the horse fly looking things out at the Cecil land! Buzzing back and forth. Thermacell works on them too, as does gun smoke LOL.

Off track here but have you ever seen a doe with antler(s)? I have one around my property with one sorta antler...its a doe with chopped ears...very strange/odd.

http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=129299&stc=1&d=1410026320

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I saw your last pic of her which is a better shot than the other. She is def interesting. There are antlered does, but they are rare. I am more concerned with what happened to her ears!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I saw your last pic of her which is a better shot than the other. She is def interesting. There are antlered does, but they are rare. I am more concerned with what happened to her ears!

lol! there are 2 around that have ears like that...only thing I can guess is coyotes/bobcat got to them when they were fawns? strange indeed

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Talk about life sucking. For those that don't know, I had to have a small back operation yesterday and probably won't be in the woods until at least Wednesday at the earliest.

So fast forward to 5 minutes ago. The wife calls me into the family room to look at the deer in the backyard. Well, less than 100 yards away are 3 of my 4 little buddies. The 6 pointer, the giant 8 pointer and the humongous 10 pointer are all back eating at the tree line in the back corner. If I could shoot with the 270, they'd be dinner on tomorrow's table. But I couldn't get out there with the crossbow to get a shot now.

I'm going to have to take some HGH or something, so I can get out there as soon as possible. The 10 pointer is really the best deer I've ever seen in Maryland. Still in full velvet, but I think it's a 140+ rack.

Gotta get this new camera out in the yard tomorrow so I can get some daytime pictures. All the pictures that I've taken so far have been at night. This is the first time I've seen this group out during the day.

It's getting exciting around here!!!
    Jim Smith

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Talk about life sucking. For those that don't know, I had to have a small back operation yesterday and probably won't be in the woods until at least Wednesday at the earliest.

So fast forward to 5 minutes ago. The wife calls me into the family room to look at the deer in the backyard. Well, less than 100 yards away are 3 of my 4 little buddies. The 6 pointer, the giant 8 pointer and the humongous 10 pointer are all back eating at the tree line in the back corner. If I could shoot with the 270, they'd be dinner on tomorrow's table. But I couldn't get out there with the crossbow to get a shot now.

I'm going to have to take some HGH or something, so I can get out there as soon as possible. The 10 pointer is really the best deer I've ever seen in Maryland. Still in full velvet, but I think it's a 140+ rack.

Gotta get this new camera out in the yard tomorrow so I can get some daytime pictures. All the pictures that I've taken so far have been at night. This is the first time I've seen this group out during the day.

It's getting exciting around here!!!
    Jim Smith

Good luck and heal up quick!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I don't think I'd be drinking the water around there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom