• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Rookie quarterback Carson Wentz bought each of his offensive linemen a personalized Beretta shotgun for Christmas, a twist on the time-honored tradition of a quarterback rewarding the men who keep him upright each week.

A personally engraved $2K+ shotgun seems like a nice gesture and for some, it is the first gun they've ever held. Oddly, only one no-name anti group offered their objection. The NFL didn't, nor did the Brady Bunch. The comments are priceless:

Eagles QB Carson Wentz buys shotguns for entire offensive line

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yeah, how is this not a straw purchase?

-John

Its about intent. The intent is not to circumvent the law bc the offensive lineman wants a gun but couldn't pass a bg check. It's a gift for crying out loud.

Now go take your anti-bgos meds ;)

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I hope none of them are prohibited persons

I wonder about this, too. It's a super nice gesture, and I hope it goes well for everybody involved. It would be nice, and smart, to include a lifetime NRA membership with each gun. :thumbsup:

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Its about intent. The intent is not to circumvent the law bc the offensive lineman wants a gun but couldn't pass a bg check. It's a gift for crying out loud.

Now go take your anti-bgos meds ;)

Hey, I just wanted to understand. This means my wife can buy me guns :D

-John

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County

-John

Im thinking how this would work is that he bought all the guns, IE paid for for them. They are being engraved now, and when they are complete they will be sent to an ffl, each linebacker would then go pick up his shotgun and do his NICS Check

If it was a straw purchase, the QB would have needed to purchase each shotgun and go through the background check as if he was purchasing each one for his own use (even though he intended to but it for someone else)

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Im thinking how this would work is that he bought all the guns, IE paid for for them. They are being engraved now, and when they are complete they will be sent to an ffl, each linebacker would then go pick up his shotgun and do his NICS Check

If it was a straw purchase, the QB would have needed to purchase each shotgun and go through the background check as if he was purchasing each one for his own use (even though he intended to but it for someone else)

That makes more sense.

-John

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'll bet there would be a big outcry if this were the NBA.

The NBA has recently been sticking it's nose into all sorts of political issues, like the NC bathroom law, as well as the OKC Thunder opposing the OK permitless open carry bill last year.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

-John

It is a gift.

You can buy a firearm and give it to someone.

You cannot buy a firearm for someone, when that person gives you the money to purchase said firearm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No, he can do the NICS check for everyone as himself, then GIVE them the shotguns.

Yes, it would be cleaner to do it the way you mention, but it is not a straw purchase, as he is paying for them. If they all put together money for him to buy the shotguns for them, and he did the NICS for all of them, THAT would be a straw purchase.

This assumes he and all the linemen are legal residents of the same state.

You can decide to buy a shotgun for every MD resident member of MDS and take delivery of them and pass them out. As long as YOU pay for them and GIVE them away (nothing in return).

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    No, he can do the NICS check for everyone as himself, then GIVE them the shotguns.

Yes, it would be cleaner to do it the way you mention, but it is not a straw purchase, as he is paying for them. If they all put together money for him to buy the shotguns for them, and he did the NICS for all of them, THAT would be a straw purchase.

You can decide to buy a shotgun for every MD resident member of MDS and take delivery of them and pass them out. As long as YOU pay for them and GIVE them away (nothing in return).
    There's the rub. I would say 90% chance they're not. Just because they play for the iggles doesn't mean they are PA residents. Most professional athletes love in their home state during the off season. My bet is all the guns will go through an FFL so each lineman can fill out paperwork themselves. They're long guns so they can pick up in any state, unlike a handgun.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Rookie quarterback Carson Wentz bought each of his offensive linemen a personalized Beretta shotgun for Christmas, a twist on the time-honored tradition of a quarterback rewarding the men who keep him upright each week.

A personally engraved $2K+ shotgun seems like a nice gesture and for some, it is the first gun they've ever held. Oddly, only one no-name anti group offered their objection. The NFL didn't, nor did the Brady Bunch. The comments are priceless:

Eagles QB Carson Wentz buys shotguns for entire offensive line

Silver Pigeon is a nice gun. It's an O/U. Hope they have the 32" barrels.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    This is awesome. Ms. Goodman seems to stand alone, and it doesn't sound like Carson Wentz or anyone else has acknowledged her comments. That's exactly how to make that noise go away--ignore it.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County

Ah ok, some good information here thanks for the clarification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom