Dumb Question: Can I drive to PA and buy a Russian SVD for cash?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tunasalad

Aug 27, 2013
    Hello,

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't really know my way around gun laws. I figure better safe.

Issue 1: I think the Russian SVD has interchangeable parts with the banned chinese SVD -- so I think it's just straight up banned.

Issue 2: Suppose it's not banned -- or I want to drive to PA and get a non-banned gun. Do I have to go to an FFL or something? Can I just give a guy cash and drive back to MD?

Thanks!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As for the Druganov: No, it's banned in Maryland, if you are a Maryland resident.

You can buy non-banned long guns in PA, as long as you go through a FFL.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Issue 2: Transfer would need to be in buyers state. FTF applies if both buyer and seller live in the same state.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This would need to be in buyers state.

Suppose the buyer is a MD resident.

A buyer can go to the seller's state (e.g. PA), meet at a FFL. Get a NICS check after filling out a 4473, and complete the transaction in PA.

All is completely legal.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I buy all the time in pa, just thru ffl, do the paperwork and go. Cannot be face to face in another state. If not banned in md you are gtg.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If a firearm is being sold across State lines it will always require an FFL. Rifles out of State FFL is OK, Pistols: Only in State FFL is allowed (At Least in Maryland. I do NOT know if this is true for every State?)
    Any time a firearm transaction between 2 residents of different states happens, it MUST be a legal transaction in BOTH States.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    If a firearm is being sold across State lines it will always require an FFL. Rifles out of State FFL is OK, Pistols: Only in State FFL is allowed (At Least in Maryland. I do NOT know if this is true for every State?)
    Any time a firearm transaction between 2 residents of different states happens, it MUST be a legal transaction in BOTH States.

Yep, no handguns can be sold across state lines per federal law.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=184381

Just so I don't go insane. It's been argued a lot on here. Another case of gray area.

NOT a gray area.

BATFE site has not been properly updated, since 1986. :)

From 1968 to 1986, you could ONLY buy in an adjacent state, and only if your state allowed you to do so.

Since 1986 you can buy a long gun anywhere, as long as the transaction is legal in the state it occurs, and the state of residence of the buyer.

So a PA or WV resident may not buy a banned long gun in MB, even though they are not a resident. And same thing, MD resident cannot go to PA or WV and buy a long gun that is banned in MD.

So transaction can take place in ANY state.

I have bought long guns in VA, from a private seller, but running them through a VA FFL.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I have bought several rifles and a shotgun in PA and walked out the door with them. One the dealer wasn't 100% sure about (9mm M1) but offered to send to a MD FFL. Also purchased a handgun, but that had to go to a MD FFL.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    NOT a gray area.

BATFE site has not been properly updated, since 1986. :)

From 1968 to 1986, you could ONLY buy in an adjacent state, and only if your state allowed you to do so.

Since 1986 you can buy a long gun anywhere, as long as the transaction is legal in the state it occurs, and the state of residence of the buyer.

So a PA or WV resident may not buy a banned long gun in MB, even though they are not a resident. And same thing, MD resident cannot go to PA or WV and buy a long gun that is banned in MD.

So transaction can take place in ANY state.

I have bought long guns in VA, from a private seller, but running them through a VA FFL.

Yeah you got a headache in that other thread too pinecone. :D

I've purchased a shotgun in PA before, I'm not arguing that. Just saying there are multiple opinions out there.

OP wants a banned rifle anyways, no go.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, I said that. You cannot, as an MD resident buy a long gun that is banned in MD, no matter where you buy it (except of course in downtown B'more street corner :D ).

But nothing in the law says that the transaction must happen in any particular state. Just as long as it is legal in the state of the transaction and the state of residence of the buyer.

Hmm, I said that also:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom