• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Very nice. I can remember those days, and hope to get back to them at some point here.[/QUOTE

I am blessed with access to great property that's perfect Woodie
    Habitat. My father and I have placed dozens on nest box's on the
    place over the years.

During the early season I only shoot 2 or 3 Woodies I normally don't shoot
    any green heads I let them pass. I just wish I could of got hyp81 out today
    she would of had a good time watching the dozens of woodies.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    The Woodies sure seem to be doing well these days. What a perfect day for duck hunting. Just wondering, why do you not shoot mallards? Good eating and plentiful.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    The Woodies sure seem to be doing well these days. What a perfect day for duck hunting. Just wondering, why do you not shoot mallards? Good eating and plentiful.

Oh I will shoot them when the season comes back in this week I am all about wood ducks. I like slipping in taking my 2 or 3 woodies and getting out so the birds can calm down and not get spooked.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    We got out yesterday, not as many as last year flying, didn't see any mallards which is unusual, but still got a few woodies and 2 wigeon. Should of limited out but couldn't shoot straight early on.

Attachments

• 2014 duck 1.jpg
      2014 duck 1.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 180
    • 2014 duck 2.jpg
      2014 duck 2.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 177

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Have to remember that you only have a certain limit allowed on ducks. You can reach that limit with an assorted bag of species. Cannot remember the exact limit, but I think you are allowed a 5 bird limit, a bonus teal to make 6, 3 woodies, and 4 mallards. So, if you kill 4 mallards, then you can only get a single wood duck.

Browning Guy's plan to spook the birds as little as possible is a good plan too. We would do that with geese when they were using a field pretty good. Get in early, kill a limit real fast, and get the heck out real fast so the birds would keep coming to that field. Then, we could hunt the field a couple days later.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I hunted public land on Saturday. Since last year on opening day I ended up having some other hunters come uncomfortably close to me down on the water, this time I stayed up in a nearby soybean field that has a thick woodline and some good puddles, hoping to catch some wood ducks retreating after being shot at on the water. I had a really good spot on the corner of the woodline/thick grass.

Normally it sounds like WW3 on opening day, but I think the rain must have kept some people away. There was only about half as much shooting as last year and very few ducks did as I'd hoped; I only had one marginal shot all morning and decided not to take it.

Maybe there were other factors keeping hunters at home besides the weather. It wasn't bad at all in my rain suit. It was about 55-60 degrees and lightly raining. Besides, bad/sloppy/cold/rainy/sleeting weather is typically the best for duck hunting, so I actually thought that would bring more people out, not less. I guess I was wrong and ended up over thinking/outsmarting myself.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I hunted public land on Saturday. Since last year on opening day I ended up having some other hunters come uncomfortably close to me down on the water, this time I stayed up in a nearby soybean field that has a thick woodline and some good puddles, hoping to catch some wood ducks retreating after being shot at on the water. I had a really good spot on the corner of the woodline/thick grass.

Normally it sounds like WW3 on opening day, but I think the rain must have kept some people away. There was only about half as much shooting as last year and very few ducks did as I'd hoped; I only had one marginal shot all morning and decided not to take it.

Maybe there were other factors keeping hunters at home besides the weather. It wasn't bad at all in my rain suit. It was about 55-60 degrees and lightly raining. Besides, bad/sloppy/cold/rainy/sleeting weather is typically the best for duck hunting, so I actually thought that would bring more people out, not less. I guess I was wrong and ended up over thinking/outsmarting myself.

Most people are fair weather hunters. The good old weekend warrior that just goes to get some away time from whatever they usually deal with. Very few are extremely passionate about hunting.

Guessing you went to McKee Beshers.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Most people are fair weather hunters. The good old weekend warrior that just goes to get some away time from whatever they usually deal with. Very few are extremely passionate about hunting.

Guessing you went to McKee Beshers.

Good guess! I have learned to avoid that place but my buddy really wanted to go on opening day and try out this tactic. It sure was easier than going down to the marsh and dodging others, but it also didn't work at all haha.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    skunk city for us this morning. Had one mallard try to come in, but somebody shot right as she was making her pass, and she flared. Had a couple grebes come into the decoys, we were hoping they might get some other ducks interested in coming in, but no ducks flew over as they were swimming around, so that plan didn't work. I think next time I'm bringing a fishing pole. We saw some monster cats in the river as we crossed. If I can't shoot ducks, at least I might be catching fish!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    skunk city for us this morning. Had one mallard try to come in, but somebody shot right as she was making her pass, and she flared. Had a couple grebes come into the decoys, we were hoping they might get some other ducks interested in coming in, but no ducks flew over as they were swimming around, so that plan didn't work. I think next time I'm bringing a fishing pole. We saw some monster cats in the river as we crossed. If I can't shoot ducks, at least I might be catching fish!

Nothing beats a little blast and cast...especially when there is no blasting going on!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

DNR would write you up for using a hook on waterfowl. Believe that is specifically against the law. Kind of like going dove hunting and goose hunting in September and having #8 lead shot on you. Gonna have to hope the DNR officer uses some common sense and discretion, versus charge em all and let the judge sort it out.

Sucks that you guys got skunked, but it happens. That is why we call it hunting and not shooting.

jmitche4

Jan 25, 2012
    We have had a great few days! Limit of wood ducks on saturday with a bonus mallard! And we had 7 woodies this morning Widgeon!! Having a ton of fun!!

Attachments

• Duck Hunting.jpg
      Duck Hunting.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 134
    • Duck Hunting 2.jpg
      Duck Hunting 2.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 133

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Went on my first duck hunt saturday and killed my first duck. Drake woody which I'll be dropping off at the taxidermist wednesday on my way to dorchester for sika deer muzzleloader opening day.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    Contrary to what everybody says...I feel rainy snowy weather keeps the ducks from flying unless someone bumps them. A good heavy overcast, windy, cold day is what is needed. The birds do not fly when it is raining too hard, snowing too hard, or too foggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom