• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    With Oct 1 fast approaching, I wanted to find a DS Arms SA58 Para (FAL). I already have a SA58 Carbine from them and it is a phenomenal weapon. I cant afford the $2K+ price tag and the 2 month wait for the weapon so I order just the receiver from them for a Para model. I called them and got a deal @ $350 plus $14 shipping. Plus they said they could ship it out in this week to my FFL.

Just a thought if anyone else wants one. They are listed on the website for $450 plus shipping.

G2

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    With Oct 1 fast approaching, I wanted to find a DS Arms SA58 Para (FAL). I already have a SA58 Carbine from them and it is a phenomenal weapon. I cant afford the $2K+ price tag and the 2 month wait for the weapon so I order just the receiver from them for a Para model. I called them and got a deal @ $350 plus $14 shipping. Plus they said they could ship it out in this week to my FFL.

Just a thought if anyone else wants one. They are listed on the website for $450 plus shipping.

G2

Oh man that is awesome. A FAL is something I wanted that just wasn't going to happen before Oct 1. I might have to go this route.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

G2

if you wan to save some money try coonan
    http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/LAR-INCH-CH/cPath,7/osCsid,61c3aeb0d7c5150065c4c77625d70d4f

they have type 3 metric (most common) for 299, they make awesome receivers

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm interested but don't know a thing about fals. Are the receivers the same between regular and para editions? The 21 std para looks nice.

The Coonan says pre-order and 6 mo wait. Too risky.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'm interested but don't know a thing about fals. Are the receivers the same between regular and para editions? The 21 std para looks nice.

The Coonan says pre-order and 6 mo wait. Too risky.

No FAl receivers are either Para or regular. You cannot put a fixed stock on a para receiver and vice versa. Also you want to decide if you want the carry handle cut out or not. These are metric receivers not inch.

I hope this helps.

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    No FAl receivers are either Para or regular. You cannot put a fixed stock on a para receiver and vice versa. Also you want to decide if you want the carry handle cut out or not. These are metric receivers not inch.

I hope this helps.

Sort of. There is one extra machining step on a "para" receiver. This was to work with the originally designed para top cover / recoil spring combo. There are now para top cover / recoil spring combos that work with any fal receiver, with or without the para modification. Keep in mind that on FALs, the receiver is the "upper". It has the magazine well, attaches to the barrel, and contains the bolt and carrier. The "lower" is actually called the "trigger housing", and contains the trigger and attaches to the stock. The para trigger housing is configured for the folding stock.

So, you can absolutely make any fal receiver into a para configuration by swapping the trigger housing for a para housing and getting a new-style para top cover, para bolt carrier, and para recoil spring.

So, get an FAL receiver, and then get as many trigger housings as you want.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Sort of. There is one extra machining step on a "para" receiver. This was to work with the originally designed para top cover / recoil spring combo. There are now para top cover / recoil spring combos that work with any fal receiver, with or without the para modification. Keep in mind that on FALs, the receiver is the "upper". It has the magazine well, attaches to the barrel, and contains the bolt and carrier. The "lower" is actually called the "trigger housing", and contains the trigger and attaches to the stock. The para trigger housing is configured for the folding stock.

So, you can absolutely make any fal receiver into a para configuration by swapping the trigger housing for a para housing and getting a new-style para top cover, para bolt carrier, and para recoil spring.

Yep DSA sells them preconfigured as well for para and non-para cut receivers.

http://www.dsarms.com/US-Made-FAL-Paratrooper-Stock-Assembly-----090P035NN-A/productinfo/090P035NN-A/

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    That being said, $350 is a good price for a DSA receiver. A word of warning though - their recent offerings have required some out of the ordinary range locking shoulders. I don't remember if they were on the small or large end though. This is not a bad thing. Timing the barrel will be a little more work and you might have to order a custom-made locking shoulder.

I've only built on the Coonans and Imbels. I will say that the Coonan units were every bit as nice and easy as the Imbels.

Enjoy your build!

Last edited:

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County

You learn something new everyday. I apologize for misinformation. I was only going off what DSA had explained to me. I still dont understand what a lightening cut is.

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    You learn something new everyday. I apologize for misinformation. I was only going off what DSA had explained to me. I still dont understand what a lightening cut is.

No need to apologize! New rifles can always be bewildering.

Lightening cuts are a different thing altogether. The different "generations", or design iterations, of receivers had metal taken off in different various non-critical spots to "lighten" the weight of the receivers.

From a collector's or purist's perspective, having the correct generation receiver with the correct lighting cuts is a must for certain kits. Over the 50+ years that the Fal has been manufactured, metallurgy evolved, so the receiver design evolved along with it. Modern steels can make for investment cast receivers that will be just as strong as forged receivers made with older steels. The different steels and different manufacturing processes contributed to what material could be safely removed from what area of the receiver.

Seeing as how DSA is using modern steel for all of their forgings, their different receiver versions are different cosmetically only. With the exception of their "inch" receiver, but that is another different thing altogether.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    DSAs Web site is impossible to navigate w a tablet (I'm on vacation w no pc.) So I can't get to their receiver pages. Ugh.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    DSAs Web site is impossible to navigate w a tablet (I'm on vacation w no pc.) So I can't get to their receiver pages. Ugh.

Edit: worked w a different browser.
    http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-SA58 Upper Receivers/products/13/

I'm interested in a 0292CHC. Metric Type II. They say the cuts on the side between a type I and II are just cosmetic. So I'll go w the later one I guess unless someone tells me it's a good idea otherwise.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    AIM just put the DSA SA5816TAC on sale for 1400 delivered (was 1700+ship iirc). if the receiver is 365 shipped then that's basically getting all the other parts and assembly for 1000. Good deal? I don't have an FAL yet. My LR308 is 24" so a carbine wouldn't be bad to play with. Is the 16" 'tac' an ok setup? I see it says it has a shortened gas system.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    AIM just put the DSA SA5816TAC on sale for 1400 delivered (was 1700+ship iirc). if the receiver is 365 shipped then that's basically getting all the other parts and assembly for 1000. Good deal? I don't have an FAL yet. My LR308 is 24" so a carbine wouldn't be bad to play with. Is the 16" 'tac' an ok setup? I see it says it has a shortened gas system.

It is a good price. They have 21" for the same price as well.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DSASA58S21

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm now reading up on FALs (i've been in a hk91 mode). Is it better to buy a parts kit like imbel and put together? Looks like that can be done for <1000 getting a kit off GB. I'm pretty handy w tooling so that wouldn't be a problem. Or just buy the all USA DSA for a bit more?

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    You got a helluva deal for $350. I called them a couple months ago and they didn't have any in stock. I ended up paying $500 for a type 2 DSA at a gun shop. Didn't want to miss the boat with Oct. 1st looming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom