• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'll start. DPMS sucks. ARs suck. I would never buy one of those... Oh wait. Just looked in my safe. Hmm. Carry on.

Butt, seriously, don't over-analyze it (like I always do). Buy whatcha like.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Oh boy, cant wait for the DPMS haters to come out and start doing the bravo company chant.

Frankly, they are right to a point they are not the highest quality ARs around. That said my LR308 has been flawless. They are a good starter value line AR.

Are you looking at a upper or a rifle? I would highly recommend you buy a stripped lower and assemble it, you will learn a lot about your gun and probably be able to do it cheaper with exactly the trigger set-up, grip and stock you want.

PSA, Delton and DPMS all make some good value line uppers. I have been 100% satisfied wtih my delton, havent had the PSA out to the range yet but everything looks good. I have a Sota arms on order in .300 blackout they seem to be a new value maker.

Jul 11, 2012
    Freeland,MD
    Dpms AR 15

I did a search and didn't come up with anything, but thought I'd ask and see what everyone thinks of DPMS.

Thanks!

You can spend $620 for a DPMS Oracle or $1200 and up for others.
    If you want to have fun shooting without breaking the bank, buy a DPMS. They are made by the same coporate magnate of companies that own Bushmaster, Remington and others...they stand behind their product. 22 conversion kits shoot well in them using CCI mini mag.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can get a PSA gun for the same price and the PSA will have all the right features.

DPMS is a plinker, if thats all you want then its cool, but UNDERSTAND its not a fighting/defense rifle by any stretch.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I have one have not had any probs yet i like it. Barrel is not chrome lined nor is the bcg but as chad said for a plinker its not bad. But not built for war. But a good entry level and it comes with a 3 year warranty. Always leaves room to upgrade. Goodluck on your purchase

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    This is gonna be AWESOME! I love threads like these.

I bought a DPMS oracle. Went bang when the trigger was pulled. Ditched the upper and BCG for a more purpose built upper and BCG. Both BCM. Sorry but they make good stuff.

The oracle was 700 bucks and a 6920 would run from 1000 to 1100.

You can buy a great rifle and plink with that, but you can't make a plinking gun into a great rifle (inexpensively).

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have the DPMS Oracle. I do not shoot it a lot, but it has always worked for me. If I planned on shooting an AR more I would have spent more money. For an occasional range gun, this fills the bill.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Based on what I have seen/read. There are DPMS rifles that work well, and some that don't. They seem over represented, but is that due to volume and being more prevelent in big box stores that carry such items or actual quality escapes that occur to all manufactors.

Also based on what I have seen there in a perspective that it can be harder to get things made right if you end up with a lemon.

The last point is that the fit and finish can be lacking on the dpms, sometimes its less than ideal coatings that do not affect function or sometimes it is in machining that affects function.

All that being said, I had a dpms rifle and a dpms barrel. The rifle was in 223, had a gritty trigger and bull barrelled, but I never had an issue with it up until I disassembled and rebarrelled to lighten it up. Still use most of the parts in one rifle or the other. The 16" was a heavy profile, that I again swapped out due weight profile preferences, again no issue with its function, but I wanted a different twist and barrel profile.

The question I have what defines a "fighting/defense" rifle as that is arather vague definition and hard to quantify.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    You can get a complete LMT lower for 330 bucks. A BCM upper for 500 bucks. A BCM BCG for 160 bucks.

Grand total 960 bucks for a CHF barrel, HPT/MPI bolt, 1:7 twist rate, carrier key properly staked, CL bore and chamber, two stage trigger, and properly cut m4 feed ramps.

I'm not saying DPMS sucks but I'd recommend buying the features that you're gonna want later the first time.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Oh boy, cant wait for the DPMS haters to come out and start doing the bravo company chant.
    :lol2:

Okay that made me laugh. I think the biggest issue with the DPMS rifles of the past were the commercial grade bolt, non hammer forged barrel, and some of the lower parts are MIM.

Some folks will also point to the 1:9 twist barrel, but the twist rate is really irrelevant of barrel quality. Granted most commercial grade barrels are 1:9 but you can buy a high end Krieger barrel in 1:9 if you choose...

One of my more spartan carbines has a DPMS lower that I bought 7 or 8 years ago, the machine work and finish on it are actually very good.

9299531e.jpg

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    Ditto what previous poster said about brand fans of all shapes. If you like the rifle, get it. My DPMS AP4 has been good so far, with my only complaint being the tight magwell that makes PMAGS fit snugly. I also have a dedicated DPMS .22LR upper that is very nice. I have other brands as well, but the DPMS runs fine.

Get an AR, any big-name AR, and learn to shoot it well. The most important part of the rifle is the trigger nut. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom