• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nknacd

Nov 16, 2008
    I'm sure you guys would rather not share, but what is a good place to go dove hunting that isn't too far from pasadena?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have not seen enough Dove around the Charles County area in years to even bother going to shoot at them. We use to have Dove by the hundreds at the farm, but, those days have been gone for many years.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I have not seen enough Dove around the Charles County area in years to even bother going to shoot at them. We use to have Dove by the hundreds at the farm, but, those days have been gone for many years.

Grow a bunch of sunflowers or other plants that dove like to eat. If you grow it, they will come

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Grow a bunch of sunflowers or other plants that dove like to eat. If you grow it, they will come

Oh I am plenty aware of that. You should have seen the farm 3 years ago when it had 18 acres of Sorghum on it. The fields are leased by a local farmer and he has been growing Orchardgrass for cattle the past 2 years. I do a small planting of Wheat and some Corn, but, the farmer gets the final call.

Myrtle Grove here in Charles County has all the Dove fields planted in Sunflower and ready for the season to open. I don't hunt those public Dove fields though. You never know who is going to show up. All those big fields of Sunflower down at Chicamuxen WMA in the lower part of the county always go to waste because no one uses them.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Oh I am plenty aware of that. You should have seen the farm 3 years ago when it had 18 acres of Sorghum on it. The fields are leased by a local farmer and he has been growing Orchardgrass for cattle the past 2 years. I do a small planting of Wheat and some Corn, but, the farmer gets the final call.

Myrtle Grove here in Charles County has all the Dove fields planted in Sunflower and ready for the season to open. I don't hunt those public Dove fields though. You never know who is going to show up. All those big fields of Sunflower down at Chicamuxen WMA in the lower part of the county always go to waste because no one uses them.

Chicamuxen WMA? And it's planted for doves and nobody hunts it????

RLaw

Apr 6, 2013
    Mark, I'm in Dunkirk and I'm guessing 45 mins from here. I go over the 301 bridge a fair bit and it always seems like it takes 40 mins to get there from here...so hopefully not a whole lot further than that trip.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Chicamuxen WMA? And it's planted for doves and nobody hunts it????

Map Here: http://dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/pdfs/chicamuxenmap.pdf

Map Here: http://dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Publiclands/pdfs/myrtlegrovemap.pdf

Chicamuxen has 3 very large fields and Myrtle Grove has a few large fields as well. When I spoke with Dan Eversburg at MG Sunday morning, I asked him about Crow hunting these Dove fields, and he stated that they were planted with Sunflower and few assorted mixes included. No one hunts them for Dove, so, I go shoot Crows.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    About an hour drive if you take 301 south to a right on to Rt. 225 and then a left on to Rt. 224 south it's very easy to get to. You will pass right by Myrtle Grove on Rt. 225.

I work close to bowie and get off between 11 and noon. Got to have to give it a try one day. Dove hunting is one of my favorite things to hunt but I ain't done it in abut ten years now.

RLaw

Apr 6, 2013
    I work close to bowie and get off between 11 and noon. Got to have to give it a try one day. Dove hunting is one of my favorite things to hunt but I ain't done it in abut ten years now.

I think I've got you beat...I think it was 1989 or 1990 for me. Been awhile

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I am going hunting for doves with a buddy out at a WMA near his house.

My question...

I have a semi-auto 12 ga and a pump 20. Which is best, and what chokes (if any)?

Seems like 7.5-9 shot is what most people use. Any preference one way or the other??

RLaw

Apr 6, 2013

My question...

I have a semi-auto 12 ga and a pump 20. Which is best, and what chokes (if any)?

Seems like 7.5-9 shot is what most people use. Any preference one way or the other??

I shoot an auto because I've always felt the pump interfered with tracking the birds (just a personal thing). I have a modified in my Winchester and I think it's the standard improved cylinder in my Remington. I have always shot 8.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

My question...

I have never owned a semi, but, I have been lightly shopping for a good used one, however, when I pump the action I don't drop the barrel. I pump as I follow. Most guys will shoot drop, pump, and then raise and by that time you've wasted time and lost the track on the bird. Follow the bird while chucking.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater

My question...

I got both pump and auto but when I go dove hunting I take my old double barrel. Its got two different chokes so I don't have to worry about picking the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom