• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    Well, I've been getting the itch lately that I need one of these. I handled one for the first time today and thought it felt great in hand. I was pleasantly surprised that the grip circumference was just barely wider than that of a single-stack. So, what do some of you owners have to say about them in regards to your single-stack 1911's? Perhaps Clandestine or others knowledgeable can chime in if there are any unique issues to the 2011 platform that the 1911's don't have.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i have a para ordnance and it has a nice feel. stay with the thin grips if you get one.:thumbsup:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I love mine- it is, by far, they finest handgun I've ever shot. It's an SVI Infinity.

infinity01.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I recently purchased a ParaOrdnance P16-40 to replace a Glock 35. I have not fired it yet, but since it was used, I got it for $700. I liked the way it felt in my hand over the Glock, and the trigger is just right. I'll post a range report after I take it out.

Jim

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    A few years ago I had two Para Ord's P14-45 Limited's come in to the shop in like new condition. For a double stack 1911 type, it wasn't that bad of a feel. At the range I put these up against my Colt Gold Cup and they were almost biting at the heels of my Colt. So I guess they're not too bad. Now my personal opinion on double stack 1911 types: it's a true hybrid; kinda like a transvestite, has a strange feel/anatomy about it and somehow, someway, something is just not right. Most hardcore 1911 shooters will tell you the same thing though they may have a different analogy.:D

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    2011 is a double stack 1911, so greater magazine capacity but comes with a wider grip.

i have sti steel master (2011) in 9mm and really like it.

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's a 2011? (Aside from the current year)

The STI 2011 (also SVI 2011) is a modular design. You have a selection of grip sizes and materials (small / standard, plastic / alum / steel), frame style and size (std dust cover / full length dust cover, 5 in / 6 in), barrel and slide fitments (bushing like a 1911 Gov or bull barrel like the 1911 Commander) and... the list goes on.

STI offers a number of "standard" configurations but will also sell you parts if you want to do a custom build or have one done. The 2011 is VERY popular with custom 'smiths.

The prices are not for the faint of hart. STI standard configurations start with a retail price way on the high side of $1k and its not hard to bust $2k or even $3k. Add a comp and optics for a USPSA Open Division gun and you can be pushing $4k retail.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php

Having said that, you can get them for less. Dawson's and Shooters Connection typically have a 10% discount. Some custom 'smiths like Brazos have "common" builds that will get you an improved gun for about the same cash. Used guns can be found for sale on the Enos forum or USPSA classified listings, sometimes on Gun Broker. Good deals (relatively speaking) can be found.

2011 vs 1911: The 2011 grip feels wider than the 1911 - makes the 1911 feel like a deep but thin board. Think of holding a 2x2 then a 1x3. It is comfortable, but different. As far as I can tell, all the fire control parts except the trigger are common with the 1911 as is the slide and barrel (depending on style).

Mine is set up as a USPSA Open gun with a comp and C-More, chambered in 355 (9mm Luger loaded to major PF levels - only to be used in guns designed for it). Like any double stack, the width of the grip makes a big difference in how you feel the recoil.

In USPSA Open Division, the 2011 is the bases for close to 80% (maybe more) of all guns used based on my observations. In the Limited Division you see a fair number of Glocks and M&P's but I think the 2011 still makes up 50% or more of all guns used. Flip side - you'll see very few 2011's in IDPA.

Last edited:

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    The typical STI or Para double stack holds 14 rounds, isn't exactly a very concealable piece of equipment, and is basically resigned to being a duty or competition gun.

Now with a single stack 1911 I have a more versatile platform. I can get reliable 10 round single stack CMC mags which would serve well for duty providing plenty of capacity, and I can also get 8 round flush fitting magazines and a slimmer grip for concealed carry.

Unless you need a double stack for a competition gun I see little that makes me want to deal with the increased bulk and clunkiness just for 4 more rounds.

vetts1911

Practical Shooter
    Aug 25, 2008
    Mechanicsville
    The 2011 and 1911 only have a few parts that are not ineterchangable.

1. Mag Catch
    2. Trigger
    3. Magazines
    4. The unque frame that goes with out saying.
    Did I forget one or two?

The Para is a varied fit and the many times the parts have to be fitted for maost that are drop in on many other makes.

The Para and the Caspian are great for all steel guns and extra weight.

Para and STI mags are a bit easier to aquire.

I couldn't tell you between the 2011 and 1911 for a pick because I own both and love them equal.

As for the carry side you don't have much weight gain/loss between the two. The carry mags are 126 flush fitting.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The typical STI or Para double stack holds 14 rounds, isn't exactly a very concealable piece of equipment, and is basically resigned to being a duty or competition gun.

Now with a single stack 1911 I have a more versatile platform. I can get reliable 10 round single stack CMC mags which would serve well for duty providing plenty of capacity, and I can also get 8 round flush fitting magazines and a slimmer grip for concealed carry.

Unless you need a double stack for a competition gun I see little that makes me want to deal with the increased bulk and clunkiness just for 4 more rounds.

While I agree they aren't exactly carry guns, double stacks hold significantly more rounds than single. An extended mag (like a 10 rounder in a 1911) will hold 28 rounds of 9mm (24 rounds of .40S&W, 18 rounds of .45) in a double stack. Flush mags hold 19, 17, 13, respectively.

http://www.sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=15

Also worth mentioning, is that my SVI is heavy; the gun is all coated stainless steel with a full length dust cover, so the gun is pretty heavy. This also lends to why the recoil is so tame, allowing fast follow-ups.

For the most part SVI's are custom guns, but JP Rifles does keep some in stock, occasionally (that's where I got mine.) Here's the only one in stock, right now.

1293.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom