• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • urbantchr

Jun 22, 2021
    If you need to fly, and can possibly help it, do not fly American. As a SCUBA diver I fly often, and much of the time I meet up with groups from a local MD shop. The "bait and switch" is alive and well at AA. Every group trip some divers with the misfortune of flyimg with AA miss all inclusive lodging and paid dives because direct, or short layover flights are cancelled, requiring 24hr, 36hr, and this last trip even 2 day rescheduling. I thought I would never buy another ticket from AA after I got a cancellation email 2min before the confirmation email, indicating to me that they sold me a ticket they didn't even have.
    I just returned from Bonaire flying with AA bacause nothing else was available. Aparently, an 11hr layover at JFK didn't give them enough time to get my bag on to the Baltimore leg. Took them 3 days to get the bag to BWI (a 45min flight), but the best part is that the email informing me that my bag was being delivered tonight said "Remember to tip the delivery driver". How precious is that? A tip for terrible service? I hope this post saves someone's trip.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Every airline is garbage these days.

If we bail those thieving bastards out again, I'm going to start the revolution.

Mondial

Colt .45
    Nov 29, 2018
    Columbia
    If you need to fly, and can possibly help it, do not fly American. As a SCUBA diver I fly often, and much of the time I meet up with groups from a local MD shop. The "bait and switch" is alive and well at AA. Every group trip some divers with the misfortune of flyimg with AA miss all inclusive lodging and paid dives because direct, or short layover flights are cancelled, requiring 24hr, 36hr, and this last trip even 2 day rescheduling. I thought I would never buy another ticket from AA after I got a cancellation email 2min before the confirmation email, indicating to me that they sold me a ticket they didn't even have.
    I just returned from Bonaire flying with AA bacause nothing else was available. Aparently, an 11hr layover at JFK didn't give them enough time to get my bag on to the Baltimore leg. Took them 3 days to get the bag to BWI (a 45min flight), but the best part is that the email informing me that my bag was being delivered tonight said "Remember to tip the delivery driver". How precious is that? A tip for terrible service? I hope this post saves someone's trip.
    Oh Great, I just booked two legs of my flights for next week on AA:-(

legendindisguise

MDS Supporter
    Jul 16, 2021
    I've had the most issues with AA (travel roughly 50% a year for work). I had the hardest time at the counter trying to reschedule once. Since then I've stayed away from them.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Flew to Houston late June and came back early July. Flew Southwest. Didn’t check bags but only problem we had was about 20-25 minutes at the gate at BWI waiting for paperwork so we could push back. Otherwise everything went smoothly.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The best airline was TWA because they had the best Flight Attendants. They served the best coffee but was even better was their Tea.

There was nothing better than getting some hot TWA Tea from a pretty flight attendant.

TWA Tea always put a smile on my face.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This is not a problem unique to AA. My business partner, my daughter and myself have all had southwest flights canceled. The number of cancellations do to insufficient ground crew coverage is something new but happens a lot lately.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    We just used Delta and out of 5 flights we only had one issue. Unfortunately that one was on our last flight home which we were really looking forward to sleep. Seems 3 flight attendants were late and then when they started boarding passengers the computer started giving problems so everything had to be done by 'hand'. About 2 hours later (just short) we finally pulled away from the gate.
    Other than that no issues. Some 3 hour layovers, but that seems par for the course. We don't fly much so our experience is small. My wife however will NEVER fly Spirit airline again.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    No you didn't and you should have gotten that old joke
    Coffee, tea, or me? Kinda like breakfast in bed? Yea, actually I did, LTR with an 800 flight attendant.

Crap, just as I typed that my next travel assignment came in. Yup, you guessed it, flying on AA. F me!

Edit: Between the AA buying out and putting the screws to the TWA employees, and then 9/11, that was the end of that era. Sadly.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Delivery driver does not work for AA. They work for some delivery company.

2) A lot of baggage handling these days are not the actual airline, but the airport management personnel. I think at Dulles it is SwissPort.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    OP. DAN (Divers Alert Network) has travel insurance along w/ dive accident insurance that you might want to look into for your next dive trip.

We were lucky getting in and out of Bonaire a few years ago on AA but really needed to hussle to the gate at Miami on the way back.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    The best airline was TWA because they had the best Flight Attendants. They served the best coffee but was even better was their Tea.

There was nothing better than getting some hot TWA Tea from a pretty flight attendant.

TWA Tea always put a smile on my face.

I see what you did there.

To the OP:. First world problems, much?

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    OP. DAN (Divers Alert Network) has travel insurance along w/ dive accident insurance that you might want to look into for your next dive trip.

We were lucky getting in and out of Bonaire a few years ago on AA but really needed to hussle to the gate at Miami on the way back.
    Yup, make sure you get the DAN coverage for the hypobaric chamber and medical flight back to states in addition to coverage of trip and your gear it's well worth the cost if you ever need the services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom