• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County
    I am left-handed and in the past have always used a left-hand grip and my left eye to aim.

However, I have recently developed an optic nerve problem with my left eye which has caused my left eye vision to deteriorate about 30%. As an example, shooting during the day, aiming my left eye, I can see the front sight (blurry) but not make out the dot with Trijicon night sights.

I have switched to using my right eye to aim while still using a left-handed grip. I have found that my accuracy seems to be about the same with this method.

My question is: Would I achieve better accuracy by learning to shoot with a right-handed grip? I suspect that this might depend on the person, but then again it might just a bad idea, period.

Since I mainly shoot a .44 mag, .460 mag, & .500 mag, ammo is expensive. Therefore I thought I would propose the question to the forum before investing money (ammo) to this method.

FYI: I am positive that my right arm can handle the recoil of the calibers I have mentioned.

Any input/experience would be appreciated.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Switch hands. I am a righty who is left eye dominant. I never could shoot all that well with my right hand, even when switching eyes. I finally took the leap to switching to my left hand and it made all the difference in the world. I'm still a righty with 90% of everything I do. I shoot long guns and handguns lefty.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the easy answer is to try it both ways and see what works best for you.

i am left-eye dominant but "mostly" right-handed, so my strong hand for handgun is right hand but i use my left eye for aiming. been doing it all my life and don't think it's a problem. there was a similar thread i think on another forum where it appears sevigny is the same way and clearly it doesn't hold him back too much.

for long guns (and everything that takes two hands, like golf, swinging a bat, etc) i shoot them all left-handed, again using my left eye.

i 'can' shoot long guns right-handed and handguns left-handed but not very well at all.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    I'm left-handed but right eye dominant. Always shot long guns right handed and in the last two+ years have transitioned to shooting handguns right-handed - with better results. Give it a try :thumbup:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I shoot about equal left/right hand on pistol or rifle. I routinely switch hands while firing just to keep in practice.

In 2009, I was forced to only use my left hand (right hand surgery/cast) and was glad that I still had the option to fire left handed.

If you learn and practice shooting with either hand, it will become muscle memory and 2nd nature.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm another righty who is left eye dominant and an ambi pistol shooter. My left eye is about 20/25 at distance, but I can see my sights with either.

The only way to know what you can do is to try.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    its always good to be able to shoot with both hands i a cisis situation.
    have you spoken to an eye doctor about perscription glasses for shooting?
    also you might try a patch on the right i to help the left one focus.

TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County
    Thanks for the input. I will give right-handed shooting a try and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure I will NEED to shoot long guns right-handed as I have looked through a rifle scope with my left eye and things are BLURRY.

I have been to a neuro-opthamologist and basically was told that they don't know what causes optic neuritis (swelling of the optic nerve) but in most cases it goes away in time (some cases as long as two years).

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Have you tried to shoot with both eyes open? That should be your goal.

:thumbsup: I didn't think I would be able to do it but when I was at the range by myself one day I tried it and I only wish I had tried it a long time ago. It wasn't much of a challenge at all. For me it was just remembering to keep both eyes open and focusing on the front sight. I don't know that it has improved my accuracy any but that's a discussion for another thread. :lol2:

TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County
    Have you tried to shoot with both eyes open? That should be your goal.

:thumbsup: I didn't think I would be able to do it but when I was at the range by myself one day I tried it and I only wish I had tried it a long time ago. It wasn't much of a challenge at all. For me it was just remembering to keep both eyes open and focusing on the front sight. I don't know that it has improved my accuracy any but that's a discussion for another thread. :lol2:

Never even considered that method, but I will give it a try. I didn't know that was the "correct" method for shooting.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm right handed right eye dominant and used to have 20-10 in both eyes. I must have crapped in the karma punchbowl but about five years ago I lost most of the vision in my right eye to ocular melanoma. I have completely switched to left handed technique with both eyes open. My iron sight shooting is weak on my AR but my pistol and optic assisted rifle is as good as it ever was.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Never even considered that method, but I will give it a try. I didn't know that was the "correct" method for shooting.

Both eyes should be open. Your body will naturally allow your dominant eye to take over. If you try dry-firing with both eyes open you'll find when you close one you'll either stay right on the sights (dominant) or they will be at an angle (non-dominant.) Proper technique is keeping both eyes open to allow full peripheral vision and not getting tunneled in on your target. With practice you will find your shooting will actually improve with this method and eventually become better than trying to squint with one eye closed. The only time I shoot using only one eye is with most traditional magnified optics. On iron sights, close quarters optics, and the ACOG I still shoot with both eyes.

Back to the original topic FWIW my girlfriend is left handed, but right eye dominant and prefers shooting right handed. My buddy is right handed, but left eye dominant and prefers shooting righty. Both are good shooters so in my opinion it really comes down to preference. Luckily I'm right/right with my hand/eye so I don't have to worry as much. But I do like to transition from shooting dominant to non-dominant hand and will still aim with my dominant eye.

trippinout

Nov 12, 2008
    Fort Meade
    If you want to shoot left handed still. You may have to change your stance a little. If that doesnt get you sight alignment, then try tilting the gun to the right to help with sight alignment.

That said. I always practice shooting with both hands; as well as, one handed with both hands. Also, agree with keeping both eyes open for peripheral vision.

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    I'd recommend try both and seeing what you like best. Keeping in mind though, that at first you may not like shooting right handed. You're essentially re-learning how to shoot! And that's not a bad thing. You'd be surprised the difference it could make.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Let me be the first to say buy a .22 or something cheaper to practice with. Those big rounds can get expensive! I'm left handed and right eyed and it's a pain sometimes, but two eyes open is the way to go.

TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County
    Both eyes should be open. Your body will naturally allow your dominant eye to take over. If you try dry-firing with both eyes open you'll find when you close one you'll either stay right on the sights (dominant) or they will be at an angle (non-dominant.) Proper technique is keeping both eyes open to allow full peripheral vision and not getting tunneled in on your target. With practice you will find your shooting will actually improve with this method and eventually become better than trying to squint with one eye closed. The only time I shoot using only one eye is with most traditional magnified optics. On iron sights, close quarters optics, and the ACOG I still shoot with both eyes.

I've been dry firing in the house with both eyes open.

I guess because my left eye is bad (blurry), it "provides" me a "ghost" or "shadow" image of the barrel and front sight.

Obviously I need to get out and target practice. I believe one shot accuracy will not be a problem but I'm curious how accurate quick follow up shots will be. If my thinking is correct, my brain has to unconsciously ignore the bad (out of focus) image from my left eye and use the right eye image to aim. Right now I'm having to actually "think" about that which slows me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom