Does Westminster mayor have authority to confiscate guns in an emergency?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I was looking at the various state and county laws by way of MSI's site and stumbled on this law. Am I reading this correctly that the Westminster mayor can call for guns to be confiscated from residences in a "state of emergency?" My brain is shorting out like "that does not compute" from the Lost in Space robot. I just don't see how that flies with COTUS. A state of emergency is probably when a firearm is needed most.

Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 7.35.31 AM.png

EDIT: Source link - https://ecode360.com/10161691

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    He could declare he is pope, doesn't make it so. Really wish there was a requirement that the reps who passed that would be the people knocking on doors if it was ever to be enforced.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    even setting the 2A and Bruen aside, I don't think Maryland's state firearm pre-emption laws would allow this

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I was looking at the various state and county laws by way of MSI's site and stumbled on this law. Am I reading this correctly that the Westminster mayor can call for guns to be confiscated from residences in a "state of emergency?" My brain is shorting out like "that does not compute" from the Lost in Space robot. I just don't see how that flies with COTUS. A state of emergency is probably when a firearm is needed most.

View attachment 428167
    EDIT: Source link - https://ecode360.com/10161691
    It would be against Federal law for him to do so:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_Recovery_Personal_Protection_Act_of_2006

MD pre-emption would seem to apply, too, but does anybody here actually think the MDAG would actually take action against someone who ordered a confiscation?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Not to derail my own thread, but Sykesville seems to ban concealed carry with no mention of permits. That will be interesting come 1 Oct.

Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 8.22.25 AM.png

If found guilty it is a misdemeanor and $1000 fine.

I think it would behoove everyone to become familiar with MSI's site.

Last edited:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    That is crazy about Sykesville. But you know what, the more ridiculous all of these localities become, the less I care. All they are doing is breeding contempt for law and order. If they want to make a mockery of our rights, so be it... I'm not playing.

****THIS. I remember hurricane Katrina well as I was in the area at the time and had to evacuate to Valdosta, GA in a rental car. I could not believe sitting in my crappy hotel room watching tv that the order had come out to confiscate firearms as that would leave law abiding citizens defenseless (criminals were not going to turn in their firearms...) from looters and other opportunists/criminals.

Sometimes, the *only* thing some people understand is force, or the threat of it. It is much easier to loot and steal from homes with unarmed folks than armed, and quite a bit of looting happened during Katrina as it probably does during many natural disasters. Many people stayed in their homes or came back once things settled down after the initial storm and there was definitely an element of criminality going on until the National Guard showed up (they were armed..) to try and keep order. I got stuck in Georgia for some time, pretty much glued to the radio and tv as there was not much to do out there with all of the refugees and people displaced, and could not leave immediately due to road conditions and a virtual army of trucks and other equipment headed towards the worst hit areas.

No way I would have given up my guns in such a situation. There was remarkable lawlessness and bad things going on where the police and guard were not around. Being unarmed in such a situation is less than optimal.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I seem to remember a thread here about the situation in Alaska after a larger quake there. No rioting, no looting... the mind boogles as to why the absence of such criminality...

A lot more guns have been obtained by the general public since Katrina. A lot of those were in response to 2020 antifa coup. I don't see people so willing to trust the gov with their safety by turning in their guns.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Here is the Mayor of Westminster
    Document

From her bio......"Dr. Mona Becker has been a resident of downtown Westminster, along with her wife, since moving to the city in 2003" I guess she and her wife will be coming for your guns!
    I fear this liberal being elected Mayor of Westminster is the beginning of the end for the Conservative stronghold of Carroll County.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Here is the Mayor of Westminster
    Document

From her bio......"Dr. Mona Becker has been a resident of downtown Westminster, along with her wife, since moving to the city in 2003" I guess she and her wife will be coming for your guns!
    I fear this liberal being elected Mayor of Westminster is the beginning of the end for the Conservative stronghold of Carroll County.
    Just leave some moon pies and healing crystals out front. They'll forget about the guns.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Not to derail my own thread, but Sykesville seems to ban concealed carry with no mention of permits. That will be interesting come 1 Oct.

View attachment 428169
    If found guilty it is a misdemeanor and $1000 fine.

I think it would behoove everyone to become familiar with MSI's site.

I would imagine Maryland’s pre-emption statute would cover this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom