Does this sound like a typical competitive match to y'all?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    ' We hear and understand your objections and your justification, and it's not for us to judge or criticize the way you coach your team. But we do feel strongly that the format favored by many NJROTC instructors is short-sighted and does not necessarily serve the best interests of our cadets. Nor does it accurately represent and promote the sport of competitive shooting outside of NJROTC...

Another reason is that we plan to offer
    fun activities for cadets to engage in when they are not shooting, such as a Mario Kart tournament, corn hole tournament, etc. In the future, we will offer workshops hosted by recognized experts in competitive shooting to help shooters improve their skills and to help coaches improve their teams. '

I've never been to a match that encourages activities that elevate blood pressure, heart rate and offer mental distractions before a match. Have I been going to the wrong matches?

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    ' We hear and understand your objections and your justification, and it's not for us to judge or criticize the way you coach your team. But we do feel strongly that the format favored by many NJROTC instructors is short-sighted and does not necessarily serve the best interests of our cadets. Nor does it accurately represent and promote the sport of competitive shooting outside of NJROTC...

fun activities for cadets to engage in when they are not shooting, such as a Mario Kart tournament, corn hole tournament, etc. In the future, we will offer workshops hosted by recognized experts in competitive shooting to help shooters improve their skills and to help coaches improve their teams. '

I've never been to a match that encourages activities that elevate blood pressure, heart rate and offer mental distractions before a match. Have I been going to the wrong matches?
    When I was shooting junior rifle competition, it was no caffein containing products for 24 hours prior to the start of the match, steak and eggs for breakfast with water. Nothing physically vigorous either.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Sounds wrong for a "paper" match. Haven't shot across the course in a while. Sounds like some bullchips. If it was my team, I'd have them "snapping in" if anything. No mental distractions. No horseplay. Find the place furthest from other people and the gunfire and get their heads in the game.

For more practical events, gassing the crap out of shooters before or during stages is actually very common.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If it’s JROTC I’d say train them the way they may have to fight. Not playing games necessarily but certainly distracted and gassed.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    If it’s JROTC I’d say train them the way they may have to fight. Not playing games necessarily but certainly distracted and gassed.
    I'd agree with this if it were a ln action shooting event. While somewhat unclear, OP seems to suggest that this is a santioned paper match. Such matches are neither training not analogous in any way to fighting. They are to shooting what solo exhibition (forms/djurus) are to martial arts.

If the intent is to represent the OPs unit by scoring well, play every card in the hand to advantage. Keep the heads clear and cool til bang time.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    sounds like par for the course, where only the self driven will continue to get better and those that can skate by will and probably be rewarded for it.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I'd agree with this if it were a ln action shooting event. While somewhat unclear, OP seems to suggest that this is a santioned paper match. Such matches are neither training not analogous in any way to fighting. They are to shooting what solo exhibition (forms/djurus) are to martial arts.

If the intent is to represent the OPs unit by scoring well, play every card in the hand to advantage. Keep the heads clear and cool til bang time.
    Correct, sanctioned paper match.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Except for maybe Sealies and Seabees, WTF does Navy Rustpickers know about rifle marksmanship?

Now I does appreciates you Rustpickers with the Big Guns, Torpedos and Missles so you got that going for you.

Go Army!

:D

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD

What was this in response to?

Looks like we are reading a reply without initial letter/email.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    What was this in response to?

Looks like we are reading a reply without initial letter/email.
    This unit was replying to objections the other units had regarding the way they set up their match relays. Instead of being assigned a relay (in the past some units would request relays based upon travel time and availability of relay); they wanted to wait and assign relays from a grab bag when the competitors arrived. So a team that has to travel 3 hours to get to an 8AM match might not shoot until after 1100 or 1300. If a visiting team knew in advance which relay they would shoot on they could plan better when to leave home and arrive in time to relax and get set up for their relay. Getting up at 0500 to shoot at 1300 seems counter productive and an obvious advantage for the 'home' team.
    I've also never seen alternate activities promoted 'between relays' in ANY match in which I have ever participated. Can't imagine my high school coach getting positively excited about the team playing games and distracting us from the match before or during a match.
    The idea of improving camaraderie among the various units and having experts talk about how to improve is a laudable goal, however, not one that should accompany a match. A separate planned activity sure, but before, during or after a match??? What was he thinking? Id just before a match no one would have time to incorporate the suggestions into their routine. During the match some of the shooters might miss the activity and after the match, well I don't know about others here but I've usually wiped after a match and just want to 'veg out' not listen to an expert drone on about what I could/should have done to shoot better in the match I just shot. Not the time or place to my way of thinking.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Except for maybe Sealies and Seabees, WTF does Navy Rustpickers know about rifle marksmanship?

Now I does appreciates you Rustpickers with the Big Guns, Torpedos and Missles so you got that going for you.

Go Army!

From my knowledge they win the national rifle championship when they are at the USNA and then they go on to stress naval gunnery when they get command of their destroyer during WW2. Then when ordered to execute a torpedo attack on on Japanese battle ships they do it. Oh, and my other grandfather had a destroyer that was sent against the same Japanese battleships. He worked on proximity fuses earlier in the war.

What did I do, I enlisted in the USMC.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    From my knowledge they win the national rifle championship when they are at the USNA and then they go on to stress naval gunnery when they get command of their destroyer during WW2. Then when ordered to execute a torpedo attack on on Japanese battle ships they do it. Oh, and my other grandfather had a destroyer that was sent against the same Japanese battleships. He worked on proximity fuses earlier in the war.

What did I do, I enlisted in the USMC.
    Canoe U as with the Hudson Home for Wayward Children, I really don’t pay attention to the youngsters except for their football game.

As for thoses tales and exploits of heroism and gallantry, I’d gladly buy a ticket or a beer to hear everyone of those sea stories.

As for a Jarhead 0311 like yourself, if you can ever muster for a drink with a Dogface Saber Rattler then the 1st Round and Toast are on me.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore

Go Army!

Well, a member here with the username fa18hooker won the National Rifle match at Camp Perry a couple years back. So yeah, some Squids know a couple things.

I have seen Cornhole being played between relays at matches as a nice distraction at a lot of levels, including the InterService and National levels.

For traveling HS kids on a Saturday match, I'm absolutely thrilled they have the opportunity.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Seems like a lack of discipline and focus. I'm surprised they didn't also include a tiktoc dance area. If you're competing in something, your mind should be on the activity you're competing in.

If you're not competing, you should be watching others compete to learn from their successes or looking for ways you can help with running the event. You could also be ensuring whatever gear you have access to is good to go and running yourself through drills to stay fresh.

That said, I work with kids every day and see their complete inability to actually do the above things. TV and electronic devices have nuked attention spans. I'm not sure how many people under 30 you could find that could do the above things without needing a quick dopamine hit from a game or social media.

It's rare for a young person to have prolonged focus now, so providing them with alternative activities to engage in may just be a necessary evil to make shooting more accessible to them.

As for the plans to disregard travel time for the match ... seems like a dick move. It makes sense to let teams know a more precise window if they need to travel from far away.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Some of the comments here are a little surprising. There is no “ one size fits all”. I’ve been to enough shoots around the country and watched thousands of contestants and what’s needed for each to do their best deviates greatly. If things are available to do they still have a choice of what to do. As for the time slots that should be done in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom