• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The DC brochure and web page says you can buy a long gun in another state from a non licenesee, bring it to DC for registration. That is illegal according to Federal statute. Read the brochure and the quoted web page. It doesn't mention an FFL.

18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29

BATFE FAQ:

How may an unlicensed person receive a firearm in his or her State that he or she purchased from an out–of–State source?

An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]
    May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]
    What DC is advising is a FELONY.

What it should say (but doesn't) is you can by a long gun from an FFL in another state and after registration bring it do DC. But It doesn't say that.
    read the two attached items again

Attachments

• study guide.jpg
      study guide.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 76
    • illegal post.JPG
      illegal post.JPG
      34.6 KB · Views: 75

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    [/B][/U]What it should say (but doesn't) is you can by a long gun from an FFL in another state and after registration bring it do DC. But It doesn't say that.
    read the two attached items again

You are correct, and the DC guidelines are wrong. My guess is that those who wrote them weren't thinking of private out-of-state sales, and that they were assuming the "seller" would be an FFL holding gun shop. However, this is misleading at best and illegal in practice.

Next time I'm in there I should mention it to them and see what they say. It sounds like others have tried and were shrugged off.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I sent Sgt. Hall an email about it. I haven't heard back. If they don't care enough to correct it, that's their issue.

Even if you bought it from an OOS FFL, which you must do if not a private sale, the info doesn't say that either. it needs fixin.

Aug 7, 2016
    Seriously I think you can be that errors like that exist in lots of states non code information sheets on firearms and on lots of things. The unique irony is it is on material DC insists you have to learn and be tested one.

The reality is that no DC FFL is required for following:
    - qualified long guns or pistols already owned by a person moving to DC, or requesting a carry license or non carry DC business address registration . (and I have never seen DC ask for the provenance paperwork on them either.)

- driving distance new or use purchased long gun sold by a bricks and mortar FFL in eg Va or Md. (if sykes plus shipping is cheaper than two trips to the store in your time value in a second trip to the store though you may wish to ship to sykes anyway)

- non driving distance long guns you decide to instead of send to sykes, send to a cheaper FFL in Md or Va

DC FFL required:
    any and all hand gun purchases by DC residents. This includes internet sellers, or bricks and mortar anywhere.

So if I register my firearm in DC with a DC lease agreement but keep my MD DL can I still purchase in MD and pick up in 7 days??

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC has fixed their erroneous long gun registartion page.

For a matter of law, I'd be very careful with this. Your residence is what matters, not what's on your DL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom