• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I found this in two places, one on the MPDC web site and in their study guide. BATFE says if you want to purchase a long gun in another state it can legally be done two ways;

1. Directly from a FFL in another state if legal in both states.
    2, If from a non licensee in another state, through a shipment and transfer to you from an FFL in your state.

How can DC says this or am I misreading this?

Attachments

• illegal post.JPG
      illegal post.JPG
      34.6 KB · Views: 477
    • study guide.jpg
      study guide.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 406

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I found this in two places, one on the MPDC web site and in their study guide. BATFE says if you want to purchase a long gun in another state it can legally be done two ways;

1. Directly from a FFL in another state if legal in both states.
    2, If from a non licensee in another state, through a shipment and transfer to you from an FFL in your state.

How can DC says this or am I misreading this?
    You are correct.. The link is wrong..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I sent an email to the only FFL in DC, Charles Sykes and asked if he was interested in the incorrect info. i see no easy way to contact MPDC web master to inform them of it other than a phone call.

guess we'll see.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    My read in this case is that DC interprets the "seller" as an FFL holder. If buying from an out-of-state private party, we still have to do a FFL
    transfer and get screwed out of $125.

For example, if you want to buy a .22 rifle from Bass Pro in Maryland, you have to go up there and buy it, have them fill out the DC registration paperwork, take it back to MPD, have it approved, then take the approved registration back to Bass Pro to pick up your rifle (after the waiting period has passed, of course).

Am I missing something?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    My read in this case is that DC interprets the "seller" as an FFL holder. If buying from an out-of-state private party, we still have to do a FFL transfer and get screwed out of $125. Am I missing something?
    It says without going through ffl.. Ftf sale.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    read what i posted. it clearly says MAY when it should say MAY NOT. It refers to a non FFL.

DC law does not trump Federal law.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The form simply says seller. No FFL info required. MPD is not acting as the seller. I guess they expect OOS FFL's to know their laws. The long gun stays at the out of state dealere until the buyer gets their certificate back from MPD. There should be an instruction that for a private salew the gun should be shipped to the DC FFL in the MPDC HQ.

attached.

Attachments

• PD-219 Firearms Registration Application blank(Rev0613)_fillable.pdf
      192.3 KB · Views: 100

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Maybe it's like DC Municipal bond taxation. DC residents can buy other state's tax free bonds and they are not taxed in DC on the interest.
    DC residents aren't residents of any state, so maybe they are residents of all states.

At any rate the MDSP doesn't know MD law and makes it up as they go along, why would we expect the Metro police to know about Fed law?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There was a proposed law that would have allowed DC residents to buy in VA or MD. IIRC it did not pass. I don't expect any Govt, especially MD or DC to follow the laws.

more fun to make it up.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    My read in this case is that DC interprets the "seller" as an FFL holder. If buying from an out-of-state private party, we still have to do a FFL
    transfer and get screwed out of $125.

For example, if you want to buy a .22 rifle from Bass Pro in Maryland, you have to go up there and buy it, have them fill out the DC registration paperwork, take it back to MPD, have it approved, then take the approved registration back to Bass Pro to pick up your rifle (after the waiting period has passed, of course).

Am I missing something?

No you can use the FFL in the state of the out of state party.
    I did this once. If you call around in Va or MD you can find an FFL there who will charge about $30. You then have them do the PD219 and after ten days you go back to them with the finalized registration.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    There was a proposed law that would have allowed DC residents to buy in VA or MD. IIRC it did not pass. I don't expect any Govt, especially MD or DC to follow the laws.

You can buy an approved firearm anywhere including over the net. If long gun it can be sent to a Virginia FFL who will charge you $30 and you don't need to use sykes at all. If a handgun you can buy on gunbroker, any majorenet dealer, any brick and morter etc or any non FFL seller -- but it has to be shipped to sykes for $125.

Most of my purchases have been gunbroker or sellers in Kentucky etc who have the lowest prices. Last pistol I bought was $105 less on from Kentucky Gun than Bass or Blue Ridge, so in reality there was no net extra cost using sykes.

by the way I believe you are referring to a court case, jot a proposed law. unfortunately that case, which was won by the registrant, was tried in such a way that legally there was no precedent and no DC law change required

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    wow. major fail IMO.

A govt. LE site that advocates breaking a Federal law?

genius.
    Seriously I think you can be that errors like that exist in lots of states non code information sheets on firearms and on lots of things. The unique irony is it is on material DC insists you have to learn and be tested one.

The reality is that no DC FFL is required for following:
    - qualified long guns or pistols already owned by a person moving to DC, or requesting a carry license or non carry DC business address registration . (and I have never seen DC ask for the provenance paperwork on them either.)

- driving distance new or use purchased long gun sold by a bricks and mortar FFL in eg Va or Md. (if sykes plus shipping is cheaper than two trips to the store in your time value in a second trip to the store though you may wish to ship to sykes anyway)

- non driving distance long guns you decide to instead of send to sykes, send to a cheaper FFL in Md or Va

DC FFL required:
    any and all hand gun purchases by DC residents. This includes internet sellers, or bricks and mortar anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom