• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    SB281 while not mentioning any pistols in the ban other than new regulated weapons requirements,

The new bill does mention shotguns, and specifically mentions banning any shotgun with a rotating barrel.

Where does that leave revolvers that fall into the 45/410 category such as the Taurus line found here:

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=41&toggle=tr

Even though not technically a shotgun it is a gun that shoots shot shells and has a rotary barrel.

What do you guys think ?

Verbotene

Lurker Supreme
    Feb 27, 2012
    They're not shotguns, they're chambered in a pistol caliber... They just have an outrageously oversized cylinder that happens to accomodate a shotgun shell.

Shouldn't be banned. Not so sure on the Circuit Judge...

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Pretty sure Cali bans the Circuit Judge, and their AW wording regarding shotguns is close to ours.

Absolutely stupid.

Verbotene

Lurker Supreme
    Feb 27, 2012
    Pretty sure Cali bans the Circuit Judge, and their AW wording regarding shotguns is close to ours.

Absolutely stupid.

I know, and I thought I heard it would be banned.

But by the same reasoning that the Judge isn't a shotgun should classify the Circuit Judge a pistol caliber carbine.

It is mind-boggling to me that anyone could accuse the Circuit Judge of being a "street sweeper."

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Interesting I thought some shotguns had rifling. I know the majority are smooth bore but I thought the made sabbot slugs for shotguns with rifled barrels and rifled slugs for smooth bore... Meh... Curiousity killed the cat.

mig201

Jan 26, 2013
    Bowie
    Judge

I hadn't thought of it this way. Would be interesting to hear the answer. May have to buy this before October also

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Interesting I thought some shotguns had rifling. I know the majority are smooth bore but I thought the made sabbot slugs for shotguns with rifled barrels and rifled slugs for smooth bore... Meh... Curiousity killed the cat.

The pistol caliber firearms that have rifled barrels but can accept shotgun shells are not shotguns. They are handguns or rifles.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Maybe... I think it depends on whether the judge is rifled (I think it is). If it's rifled, my answer would be no, as they make snake shot for a variety of revolvers and they would also be suddenly be banned. However if the Taurus was a smooth bore, then I could see the argument advanced that it was a shotgun.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Maybe... I think it depends on whether the judge is rifled (I think it is). If it's rifled, my answer would be no, as they make snake shot for a variety of revolvers and they would also be suddenly be banned. However if the Taurus was a smooth bore, then I could see the argument advanced that it was a shotgun.

In Maryland the Judge is classified as a handgun, the circuit judge is classified as a rifle. As such, neither are subject to the ban.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    SB281 while not mentioning any pistols in the ban other than new regulated weapons requirements,

The new bill does mention shotguns, and specifically mentions banning any shotgun with a rotating barrel.

Where does that leave revolvers that fall into the 45/410 category such as the Taurus line found here:

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=41&toggle=tr

Even though not technically a shotgun it is a gun that shoots shot shells and has a rotary barrel.

What do you guys think ?

I think when they were writing the law and said shotguns with revolving cylinders, they were saying revolving cylinders but thinking shotguns with drum "Drum Mags" design like the following;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMQ981lph0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhstuvzMiB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wLDImQLRVQ

Not guns like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nji73gcn6Y

The stooges in Annapolis just copied the New York section of the law that talked about "revolving cylinder" shotguns who are just as stupid.

IMHO I just think they do not/did not know enough about guns to use the correct terms. But unfortunately it looks like all of them will be effected.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    SB 281 does not change these pertinent definitions already found in the Maryland firearms statutes, all of which are found in the Criminal Law Article, § 4-201.

(c) Handgun. --

(1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.

(2) "Handgun" includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.

(3) "Handgun" does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

(e) Rifle. -- "Rifle" means a weapon that is:

(1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and

(2) designed or redesigned, and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

(f) Short-barreled rifle. -- "Short-barreled rifle" means:

(1) a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long; or

(2) a weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches and that was made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.

(g) Short-barreled shotgun. -- "Short-barreled shotgun" means:

(1) a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long; or

(2) a weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches long and was made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.

(h) Shotgun. -- "Shotgun" means a weapon that is:

(1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and

(2) designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore one or more projectiles for each pull of the trigger.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    ddeanjohnson, thanks for the links as usual :D

Looks like the handgun is ok. It's a handgun and only a handgun.

I would make the argument that the circuit judge is banned. f.1 and f.2 make it a shotgun, and shotguns with revolving cylinder for reload are banned. Yes Merlin, I understand the intent was to ban the streetsweeper, but I can't tell how the Circuit Judge does not meet the description(s) ddeanjohnson posted from the legislation.

Edit: Apologies to Merlin. With a second read, I see that you state at the end of your comment that the Circuit Judge would probably fall under this categorization. Honestly, I don't think the GA cares whether more than intended were banned.

Last edited:

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    In Maryland the Judge is classified as a handgun, the circuit judge is classified as a rifle. As such, neither are subject to the ban.

According to a notice currently displayed on the Rossi website, the .45/.410 Circuit Judge "is sold in North America only as a rifle." The notice also says that the "Rossi 28 Gauge Shotgun" is sold only as a smoothbore shotgun and is therefore illegal in some jurisdictions in the U.S., due to the rotating cylinder.

http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/warning_notice_circuit_judge.pdf

(Rossi and Taurus are part of the same corporate entity.)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    According to a notice currently displayed on the Rossi website, the .45/.410 Circuit Judge "is sold in North America only as a rifle." The notice also says that the "Rossi 28 Gauge Shotgun" is sold only as a smoothbore shotgun and is therefore illegal in some jurisdictions in the U.S., due to the rotating cylinder.

http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/warning_notice_circuit_judge.pdf

(Rossi and Taurus are part of the same corporate entity.)

I believe I said that, thanks for the link for verification.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

A smooth bore revolver = AOW, in the eyes of the BATFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom