Does HQL Approval Come With a Plastic Laminated ID Card?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nbklaw

MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I was under the impression, perhaps erroneously, that a HQL ID card was issued upon approval. I got a letter emailed to me after I applied saying I was approved, and that "[t]his correspondence serves as your Handgun Qualification License." Does that mean that (1) a plastic card is no longer issued; or that (2) the Letter serves as such until you receive the plastic card; or (3) that there never was a plastic card?

Bcjustin

Nov 27, 2023
    California MD
    No, they used to mail cards, but not anymore. :(
    I have just shown the FFL the email I received containing my HQL number when I’ve made my last couple purchases and that was sufficient for them. No actual document was needed. They just record the number associated with your HQL.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    When I got my HQL in 2013, they sent me a physical laminated card. But when it expires later this year and I renew it, I expect to get the same E-mail and electronic HQL that the OP got. I am not sure exactly which year they stopped issuing a physical HQL card and went electronic, but it has been electronic for some time. I hope this helps the OP.

Cal68

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The original HQL was a plastic card with your picture, then they stopped putting the picture on it, then they stopped issuing the card. However, the cost has remained the same!

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Funny thing is, if you read the email it says that if your HQL is ever relinquished, you are required to return it to MSP.

How you gonna do that? Print it out and mail the email to them? :lol2::lol2:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When I got mine in 2015 it was a nice laminated card with my picture on it. When it expires next year I expect to not have to woory about the unconstitutional BS. The HQL should just be a memory by then.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    When the MVA updated their systems, MSP lost the ability to pull your DL photo. Without that. a plastic card with no photo was useless. They stopped issuing plastic cards soon after .

And thus endeth the story .

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    When the MVA updated their systems, MSP lost the ability to pull your DL photo. Without that. a plastic card with no photo was useless. They stopped issuing plastic cards soon after .

And thus endeth the story .

I still have my first driver's license. It's a paper card with no photo.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I got my HQL in October of 2014 - laminated card with my DL photo on it. Then I rejoined the National Guard in 2015, negating the need for an HQL. Then I retired from the National Guard in 2023, negating a need for any of that BS ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom