Does HK MP5A3 Collapsible Stock Meet Minimum 29" OAL Requirement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    This is obviously the shorter A3 stock, and I'm not 100% sure on muzzle location (it's a pinned faux suppressor over a 3-lug and threads), but this lands around 25.5" OAL.
    Anyone know what the F model stock adds?

I believe the F stock's ~1.5" longer, but I could be wrong.
    And I appreciate your posting the photo, which is helpful.

Here's a comparison of the A3 vs F stocks (F on bottom)

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
      Image1.jpg
      111.5 KB · Views: 674

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    AAC TiRant 3-lug adapter in stock (as of an hour ago)! I ordered mine, if you want one I suggest to order it quick!

Done....and thanks for the tip. I'd just checked last night and they were still out of stock!

MudPhud

Jul 21, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks for the heads up on the Triad 3-lug adapter, smdub! Just like fred333, I checked earlier this week, and they were still listed as out of stock.

And a favor to ask from those able to measure directly...

What is the actual length between the TIP of the muzzle on a non-threaded 3-lug 8.9" MP5/clone and the CENTER of the rear push pin hole (to which all the various buttstock variants attach)? Before committing to a SBR project (don't even have a pistol clone yet), I am curious as to what additional length at the rear is still required to get to >29" OAL without permanently welding anything to the muzzle. I am asking about the full size MP5, not the MP5K.

Many thanks in advance!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    UPDATE: Form 1's in process (via eFile) and if ATF's current four month processing time is correct, I should have the stamp in February. Once I've got the stamp in hand, the FFL's gunsmith will implant a bit o' additional metal into an "F" stock to maintain the original collapsing function and OEM appearance, and placate the Maryland law makers' 29" OAL mandate.

In the meantime (whilst awaiting the stamp), I've got a nice single-point sling and an MP5 end cap with a single ring mount, which outta provide a pretty stable platform.
    I'll update with photos at the end of the month (when I receive the gun).

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Here's an UPDATE on my adventures through the minefield of 29" OAL stock options for the MP5:

The bad news: Both gunsmiths ultimately decided that while they can copy/paste (i.e., cut/weld) the needed additional length into the F-style collapsible stock, they didn't feel the weld would be sufficiently strong to hold up. So, in the end, both declined to do the work.
    So, with vanishing options, I had to shift to Plan B: Keep and install the [proper] F-style collapsible stock when shooting outside Maryland (I often shoot at the NRA range) and find a longer stock option for use in my (current) home state.

The < bad news: I found an AR/M4-style stock that doesn't look too dick tacked onto the MP5's tail and allows her to reach the 29.25" OAL minimum as cited on the form 1.
    On the more positive side, the M4 stock's considerably more comfortable than the HK collapsible.

The bottom line: Regardless of best intentions and how many times you measure before cutting, there's always something that mucks your plan up.

Thoughts on the Maryland version?

Attachments

• AR M4 MP5 Adaptor & Stock 004+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      AR M4 MP5 Adaptor & Stock 004+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      136.9 KB · Views: 491
    Last edited:

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    If you are setting on an AR stock, how about MFT Minimalist? I like the looks of them and they might be a little more sub gun-ish.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    If you are setting on an AR stock, how about MFT Minimalist? I like the looks of them and they might be a little more sub gun-ish.

Thanks and I did look at the MFT, but it wasn't long enough. The Magpul I ended up with (purchase's been made, so it's too late for alternatives) is slightly longer and just made it with the castle nut/tube held in by only a few threads (literally, just enough to retain and stabilize the stock!).

Man that is awesome Fred.

Thank you! I appreciate the support.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    That just looks wrong...but, what ever gets you through the night...

I agree, but, when forced to turn HK's 27" OAL work of art into a 29" OAL nanny-state requirement....well, you gotta do what ya gotta do. And she'll only look dicked-up when I shoot'r in our dicked-up state. When I shoot in VA, she'll be kitted-out with the proper F-style stock.;)

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I wonder is something like the NEA CCS stock would fit with the buffer tube mount?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I wonder is something like the NEA CCS stock would fit with the buffer tube mount?

Kinda redundant now (I alreadys paids my money 'n' gots my stuff) and it's difficult to tell from the photos, but the NEA looks a bit too short anyway. I appreciate the suggestion tho'.:thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I agree, but, when forced to turn HK's 27" OAL work of art into a 29" OAL nanny-state requirement....well, you gotta do what ya gotta do. And she'll only look dicked-up when I shoot'r in our dicked-up state. When I shoot in VA, she'll be kitted-out with the proper F-style stock.;)

Good work though.:thumbsup:

MudPhud

Jul 21, 2011
    Maryland
    Congrats Fred,

For those wondering, an 8.9" MP5 SBR can get to ~29.5" OAL in Maryland with...

1. HKPARTS.net AR adapter, http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/AR-M4-Stock-Adapter-MP5-93-33-83p17118.htm

2. VLTOR A5 or BCM intermediate receiver extension (longer than standard), http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...nsion-A5-Buffer-Tub-p/bcm-intermediate-re.htm

3. Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist stock, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...malist-stock-collapsible-ar-15-lr-308-polymer

Alternative parts may also get you there, but I know for a fact that the aforementioned ones will. One consolation is that the USA-made stock in these configurations will grant you +1 922(r) compliance parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom