• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    It's not my first choice of powder but I have a sealed 8 pound container that was included in a bulk reloading supply purchase. I hope to use it for 9mm, 38 Special, and 45. Unless my shooting habits change the Clays will be with me for a very long time.

I'm getting ready to load up some light target .38 Specials and I'm a bit concerned about the tiny amounts, like 2.7 starting and 3.0 max. If it measures accurately with a Hornady powder measure than no big deal? Also wondering if I should try trading it out for a different powder while it's still sealed?

Last edited:

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I'm not sure how well Clays works in a Hornady powder measure but it is one of my favorite powders for light 38spl and 45acp target loads. Clean burning smooth and accurate. I haven't yet used Clays for 9mm.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    It's not my first choice of powder but I have a sealed 8 pound container that was included in a bulk reloading supply purchase. I hope to use it for 9mm, 38 Special, and 45. Unless my shooting habits change the Clays will be with me for a very long time.

I'm getting ready to load up some light target .38 Specials and I'm a bit concerned about the tiny amounts, like 2.7 starting and 3.0 max. If it measures accurately with a Hornady powder measure than no big deal? Also wondering if I should try trading it out for a different powder while it's still sealed?

I've used Clays in Lee Classic Turret press with the auto powder disks and adjustable powder disk for .38 and .45 LC. works fine for me. Also used with BLC (2) and H335 on 5.56 loads.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Thanks to all for the reply's. Noahhh gave me an idea. I have some open Accurate #5 and IMR SR4756. I'll search around on the net and see if either of those are similar in shape to Clays and do some test drops.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Please with all the loaders a light load of 3 or 4 grains of powder needs a little tap with the end of a small screw driver. Sometimes the powder from my experience
    get static inside the powder hopper and needs a tap, tap to fill the disk cavity then same tap, tap to make sure ALL the powder drops.
    Try this, I did, makes the process somewhat slower to take time to do this, but works for me. Stick powders not so much.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Please with all the loaders a light load of 3 or 4 grains of powder needs a little tap with the end of a small screw driver. Sometimes the powder from my experience
    get static inside the powder hopper and needs a tap, tap to fill the disk cavity then same tap, tap to make sure ALL the powder drops.
    Try this, I did, makes the process somewhat slower to take time to do this, but works for me. Stick powders not so much.

In my research last night I saw mention of attaching a small vibrating aquarium pump to the hopper. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What I did with a manual powder measure (mainly use a Dillon or ChargeMaster thee days), I developed a routine.

When I moved the handle too the fill position, I tapped it twice against the stop. Then when I went to dispense the powder, it was two taps against the stop.

So - Tap, Tap - Pause to fill, Tap, Tap - Pause to let powder drop.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I'm not sure how well Clays works in a Hornady powder measure but it is one of my favorite powders for light 38spl and 45acp target loads. Clean burning smooth and accurate. I haven't yet used Clays for 9mm.

Think I have this sorted out. I want to keep the Clays because everyone raves about how well it works for light loads. I have been wanting to buy a second measure so I don't have to keep switching the Hornady between pistol and rifle.

I found lots of positive comments about how the relatively new Lee Auto-Drum works for small amounts of large flake powder. I also like the idea of buying 4 extra drums that can be preset for around $20.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    What I did with a manual powder measure (mainly use a Dillon or ChargeMaster thee days), I developed a routine.

When I moved the handle too the fill position, I tapped it twice against the stop. Then when I went to dispense the powder, it was two taps against the stop.

:thumbsup:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery

Interesting results with both of these methods. I ordered the Lee yesterday but I wanted to try the Hornady too so I opened the Clays. Tapping or bumping consistently gave me .2 extra grains from a random target of 2.7. I ran about 400 drops mostly to check out the adjustments and performance of my home made powder cop. After about 100 drops the grain increase started to get lower and eventually stopped. I guess it took that long for the powder to get settled in.

It almost never dropped below 2.7 and when it did it was 2.6+. Most of the drops were in the 2.7~2.8 range with an occasional 2.9+. The Clays fills the case very consistently (volume wise) so I was able to set the powder cop to alarm on charges greater than 2.85 or below 2.6.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=196803

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Ive not tried Clays but Universal clays meters well in my Redding and is super accurate in my 45

From the scaled internet pics I found, I think Universal flakes were just a bit smaller than Clays. The Hornady never went above or below the listed data but I don't have any experience as to how a couple tenth's either way will effect accuracy. I loaded up some rounds in .1 increments which made we wish that I had a range in my basement or back yard. :(

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    While different powders behave differently during measuring, I have never run into the static charge holding back powder flakes in the measure. What really matters is the consistency of the vibrations to the measure. I use a Lee Disc measure with pull chain return. I have run charges as low as 2.7 grains of Bullseye for 100's of rounds. Variation was always 0.1 grain deviation, weighed every 10 then every 20 rounds once confidence was built. If I have a pull on the handle which is noticeably different than usual due to a smaller case or bullet, I intentionally bump the bottom handle down again to mimic a closer to norm vibration. I have also noticed the effect of powder quantity in the hopper. I have a min and max taped off on the side of the hopper, I keep the hopper filled between those two points.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I get excellent results with all flake powders in my five measures: Redding, old Herter's, Pacific, and home built, and Belding&Mull, not to mention all of my MEC shotshell loaders. Never more than ±.1 grain, which is plenty good enough. (Weigh some pulled charges from out of factory ammo sometime if you want an eye opener regarding this subject.)

My home built pistol powder measure, a takeoff on the old Pacific w/rotary cutoff:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom