Does anyone know how stripped lowers are going to be handled after 10/1/2013 yet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You seem to forget some people buy polymer lowers

So don't buy plastic lowers. YES! I said plastic. The rest is just semantics.

You're not saving crap in weight when offset by rugged durability.

Buy (1) billet, aluminum receiver and feel secure knowing it will last forever if well maintained.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    fabsroman, thanks for the clarification -- that's why your the attorney and I kick in doors at 3:00 in the morning. My point was that the legislation as it stands now does not specifically say anything about lowers - so assume it is legal (let the courts decide later) -- in the mean time buy buy buy........ But really ---- we should all remain quiet about some of the holes as to not put a foot in our mouth. I'm sure some new intern or "want to be hero" is monitoring all of these sites. Let the uneducated remain uneducated......

RP

Bagpiperer

Mar 23, 2013
    So don't buy plastic lowers. YES! I said plastic. The rest is just semantics.

You're not saving crap in weight when offset by rugged durability.

Buy (1) billet, aluminum receiver and feel secure knowing it will last forever if well maintained.

And don't feed your AR cheap, unreliable ammunition, either.

Like this guy.

I don't hate plastic lowers or frames, but when it comes to durability, metal is still significantly better.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    fabsroman, thanks for the clarification -- that's why your the attorney and I kick in doors at 3:00 in the morning. My point was that the legislation as it stands now does not specifically say anything about lowers - so assume it is legal (let the courts decide later) -- in the mean time buy buy buy........ But really ---- we should all remain quiet about some of the holes as to not put a foot in our mouth. I'm sure some new intern or "want to be hero" is monitoring all of these sites. Let the uneducated remain uneducated......

RP

Wish it was as silent as most think. Here is the definition of firearm from Md. Public Safety section 5-101 (i.e., the section dealing with regulated and banned weapons):

(h) (1) “Firearm” means:
    (i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or
    (ii) the frame or receiver of such a weapon.

(R) “Regulated firearm” means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm [per the definition, which includes the frame or receiver of that weapon] that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

I don't think there is as much wiggle room on this one as people think. The only way I can see around it is if MSP comes out with a regulation stating that a stripped AR-15 style lower can still be purchased IF it is designated as a pistol, HBAR, AR-57, or some other legal use. Question becomes how to police the matter later when the incorrect upper is mounted to that post October 1, 2013 stripped lower. MSP might be able to classify all pistol lowers as regulated, but the HBAR lowers would be cash and carry.

This entire bill is about as clear as the water in the Chesapeake Bay.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Short of a person leaving an AR on top of the roof of their monster truck, driving away, and the AR slamming to the hard ground below, I can't see an AR receiver ever wearing out. There is nothing to wear out. I would be more concerned about fast cycling, upper components wearing out than a lower that just sits there and does nothing. Spend your money on upper parts.

The bigger question, in my opinion, is will it be against the law to own a stripped lower after 10-1 when the ban on buying stripped lowers goes into effect.

If you want to buy a lower now, do it. You can always go to Pa or Va and sell it if you are not allowed to keep it after 10-1.

I quess what I'm saying is calling a lower receiver a SPARE part won't fly. Receivers are not spare parts. They are guns.

P.S. Any opinions on Adcor Industries billet lower receivers? Some fine looking machine work, but 425 bucks seems a tad high.

Anything you buy before Oct 1st you can keep

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Wish it was as silent as most think. Here is the definition of firearm from Md. Public Safety section 5-101 (i.e., the section dealing with regulated and banned weapons):

(h) (1) “Firearm” means:
    (i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or

(1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm [per the definition, which includes the frame or receiver of that weapon] that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

I don't think there is as much wiggle room on this one as people think. The only way I can see around it is if MSP comes out with a regulation stating that a stripped AR-15 style lower can still be purchased IF it is designated as a pistol, HBAR, AR-57, or some other legal use. Question becomes how to police the matter later when the incorrect upper is mounted to that post October 1, 2013 stripped lower. MSP might be able to classify all pistol lowers as regulated, but the HBAR lowers would be cash and carry.

Sometimes that lack of clarity is a good thing. IMHO, the law on HBAR's is poorly written and the MSP opted to be more open then I feel the law makers intended.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

(h) (1) “Firearm” means:

(1) a handgun; or

This the important part

"that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies".

And it's clear that if you build an illegal configuration (and it can be proven that the weapon was never previously legally possessed as an "assault weapon") that you will run afoul of the law.

This won't be settled here or anytime soon.

Mark

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

RP

The problem with not discussing these things is then we stay uneducated as well. We need to know these things so we don't inadvertantly stumble into O'Money's trap which is the real intent of this "law".

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    You completely missed my point.

Your point was that the lower change of breaking is about 0.01% but my concern is I only have 1 AR15 if any other part breaks I can fix it and still have 1 AR15 except for a Lower since that is the piece of a gun that is considered the gun. There has been some chit chat about this topic I was wondering if any more info has come up. Buying any kind of stripped lower is going to cost at least a $100 buckets likely more when you add in the cost of a transfer. I don't want to spend money I could use for ammo or other guns for something that can't be used after Oct 1 but on the same token buying a lower that can be used as a replacement or as a 2nd gun later on is a big plus. That is why I asked the question in the first place.

Thanks
    Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom