Does anyone know about receipt of selling gun ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    It doesn't work that way.
    A notary verifies the authenticity of a document, typically by witnessing the signing by the interested parties.

Can you explain how you got an existing receipt 'notarized'? Because no notary is going to risk his reputation by authenticating a pre-existing document he didn't witness or create.

I think you should probably google notarized, because it sounds kinda like you've never actually done it, but you're trying to add details to a story that isn't holding up.
    Right, the notary staked his reputation, he personally knew all parties involved and legalized the receipt.
    I don't have to google it, I can ask my wife, she's also a notary.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Right, the notary staked his reputation, he personally knew all parties involved and legalized the receipt.
    I don't have to google it, I can ask my wife, she's also a notary.
    All a notary does is attest to the fact that a person signed a document in their presence.

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    Some years ago when it was still legal to transfer handguns between honest citizens in MD without an FFL, my brother sold a pistol to his good friend. The pistol was confiscated by the Baltimore County police. The circumstances are irrelevant. Since they were good friends, my brother claimed ownership, since he was the original owner. The police requested proof of ownership and the original receipt wasn't good enough. They had to have the receipt notarized, which he did and he got the gun back. (google notarized)
    Why would your brother claim ownership of a gun after he sold it legally to a good friend once the police confiscated it? And then say your brother had to have his original receipt notarized after all that... Sounds like your brother did some questionable stuff. Not sure how your post applies to the OPs situation. OP isn't concerned about getting the firearm back. He want's to make sure he isn't responsible for it in the future is what it sounds like...

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    All a notary does is attest to the fact that a person signed a document in their presence.

This. This whole thing is stupid. Notarizing does nothing to prove the "goods" in the receipt have been distributed/handed over.

A notary who notarizes a jurat (affirming the contents of a document, i.e. the receipts transfer of ownership) that was pre-signed is violating their oath and a fraud.

Mdgunguy

Owner: Busted Knuckle Guns, Centreville
    Industry Partner
    Mar 11, 2023
    Centreville
    I just sold a handgun in another state FFL dealer , but the receipt he give to me only shows gun model, serial number, sold day , amount , stamp his company name and FFL #, his signature, didn't show my name and phone #, this company is far from my house, I called him, he promised give me a comprehensive one, but hasn't sent to me yet , I don't know if I must let he to write my name or phone number on there or I can legally add by myself .
    Thanks.
    You're OK...... not the greatest receipt, but it'll be fine...

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Some years ago when it was still legal to transfer handguns between honest citizens in MD without an FFL, my brother sold a pistol to his good friend. The pistol was confiscated by the Baltimore County police. The circumstances are irrelevant. Since they were good friends, my brother claimed ownership, since he was the original owner. The police requested proof of ownership and the original receipt wasn't good enough. They had to have the receipt notarized, which he did and he got the gun back. (google notarized)
    Im just curious how he managed to get the receipt notarized long after the purchase. Im assuming it was a fairly long time because it came into his possession, he then sold it and then whatever circumstances led to confiscation, just doesn't seem like something that happened over a short time period. Even then, did he track down whoever sold him the gun and have him meet at a notary to have it done. If so, why did the police believe the guy who signed for the notary was the previous legal owner with the right to sell it? Im just so confused.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Im just curious how he managed to get the receipt notarized long after the purchase. Im assuming it was a fairly long time because it came into his possession, he then sold it and then whatever circumstances led to confiscation, just doesn't seem like something that happened over a short time period. Even then, did he track down whoever sold him the gun and have him meet at a notary to have it done. If so, why did the police believe the guy who signed for the notary was the previous legal owner with the right to sell it? Im just so confused.
    It was well over 25 years ago. We worked part time at the gun shop, we were all lifelong friends for a very long time including the shop owner and his family, their kids/our kids called us uncle, the notary knew us as well, he had a business connected to the shop, my brother did some electric work for the gun shop and the shop returned the favor by getting him a couple guns at wholesale when they were hard to get. Back then the private sale of handguns was not regulated. It all worked and the police gave the gun back because they shouldn't have taken it in the first place.

The point of all this is the receipt is just a piece of paper and not a legal document. Most posters agree that the OP was overly concern about the receipt.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Well, and he attests that the person is who they represent to be on the document. Usually by recording an ID, if they know the person by marking off 'is personally known to me'.
    The notary stamp attests to the identity of the signer and the fact that they signed at a particular time and place. It has nothing to do with the validity of the underlying document.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    It was well over 25 years ago. We worked part time at the gun shop, we were all lifelong friends for a very long time including the shop owner and his family, their kids/our kids called us uncle, the notary knew us as well, he had a business connected to the shop, my brother did some electric work for the gun shop and the shop returned the favor by getting him a couple guns at wholesale when they were hard to get. Back then the private sale of handguns was not regulated. It all worked and the police gave the gun back because they shouldn't have taken it in the first place.

The point of all this is the receipt is just a piece of paper and not a legal document. Most posters agree that the OP was overly concern about the receipt.
    Yeah, I agree that he is overly concerned, especially having sold the gun to an FFL which is easily verified.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Let me re-post my question, I have the receipt , the serial number was on there, but just have no name, if you think I really no need put my name on there because I still keep the receipt when I bought this gun , so at least I can prove that this gun belonged to me. but if someone think only the serial number is not good enough , I only can do is that I add the name on the receipt by myself , or I have to go to the Virginia gun show one more time to ask the owner to add or give me a comprehensive receipt , I need to drive the there and spend money, it is far from to my house.
    thanks.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Let me re-post my question, I have the receipt , the serial number was on there, but just have no name, if you think I really no need put my name on there because I still keep the receipt when I bought this gun , so at least I can prove that this gun belonged to me. but if someone think only the serial number is not good enough , I only can do is that I add the name on the receipt by myself , or I have to go to the Virginia gun show one more time to ask the owner to add or give me a comprehensive receipt , I need to drive the there and spend money, it is far from to my house.
    thanks.
    Keep what you got and don't worry about it. On the very very very slim chance anybody questions you about it just tell them "I sold it to a dealer at a gun show in Virginia". That'll be the end of it.

thanks.
    Legally, you are fine with nothing. Practically speaking, if something goes south with the firearm you don't want the paper trail to end at you. Your receipt covers you quite well. (I worked for an FFL and dealt with this often)
    EX- Gun is used in a murder. ATF goes to the manufacturer who sold it to distributor A, who sold it to FFL B, who sold it to you, who sold it to FFL C, who sold it to _____. Your receipt from FFL C takes you out of the loop as far as the ATF is concerned.
    Keep the receipt and rest easy.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You should tear up that silly receipt, burn the shreds, and flush the ashes down the toilet.

You do not need any receipt.

You have been agonizing over selling that pistol for ages. Get over it. Forget it.

You have been told this again and again and again, but you keep coming back and agonizing over it.

Just drop it.

There is virtually no chance anyone will come asking about it. If they do, just tell them you sold it, and to get off your porch. Or tell them nothing. Or tell them who you sold it to. Or tell them to FO and get a warrant. Or give them that receipt you have.

Any one of those responses is legally sound, and most go far beyond any legal requirement.

By the way, a document does not have to be notarized to be "legal." A hand written IOU on a scrap of envelope can be legally binding as can a bill of sale scribbled on an IHOP napkin.

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    thanks.
    Nobody will ever care.
    You have no legal/lawful need for the receipt.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I sold a HG FTF in the 90's when it was legal. About 3 years later, I got a knock on the door by the ATF asking me about it. I told them I sold it a few years prior. They asked me if I had a receipt and I said no. They asked who I sold it to. I remembered his name because I worked with him for a few years and we used to go shooting. I told them the name and sure enough, he was in custody for something involving the firearm. They said thank you and left.
    No dogs were harmed in the encounter.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    You should tear up that silly receipt, burn the shreds, and flush the ashes down the toilet.

You have been agonizing over selling that pistol for ages. Get over it. Forget it.

You have been told this again and again and again, but you keep coming back and agonizing over it.

Just drop it.

There is virtually no chance anyone will come asking about it. If they do, just tell them you sold it, and to get off your porch. Or tell them nothing. Or tell them who you sold it to. Or tell them to FO and get a warrant. Or give them that receipt you have.

Any one of those responses is legally sound, and most go far beyond any legal requirement.

By the way, a document does not have to be notarized to be "legal." A hand written IOU on a scrap of envelope can be legally binding as can a bill of sale scribbled on an IHOP napkin.
    Thank you , but I sold the gun on Nov 2023 for less two months , it is worth I posted here and made the question cleared .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom