Does anyone hold a MD DL but reside in DC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 7, 2016
    Hi everyone! New guy here. I may temporarily reside in DC for 12 -24 months (why on earth would you do that?:sad20:), however, I didnt want to transfer my license over from MD. According to the MPD website, you can register a previously owned firearm in DC as long as you provide a lease agreement with your DC address. Could my future purchases be picked up in MD and registered by me in DC or would they have to be purchased and transferred to DC?

P+P

Aug 7, 2016
    Why change license at all?

I dont want to change my license at all and I know lots of people dont.

My concern is may I continue to purchase firearms in MD and register them in DC or would I have to pay for FFL during point of sale in MD and pick up in DC?

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    troll_zpsn1izgxml.png
    [/URL][/IMG]​

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Not a lawyer, but I seriously doubt its legal. If the move is a work thing, either suck up the commute for the 1-2 years or tell your employer to find you a place on the MD side of the line.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I still can't get past the living in DC thing. If I worked in DC I damn sure would be living in Virginia.

Absolutely. Got a headache reading this post. Why screw with either MD or DC. Head for the Hills as fast as ya can and tell those two as LITTLE as possible!!!

Lew--Ranger63

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I remember the knock down, drag out battle I had getting Gaithersburg DMV to put c/o CJ Vol. Fire Dept, 8201 River Road on my MD license, even though I lived there and had tax returns to prove it.
    The clerk kept saying she wouldn't allow it because she thought I was trying to pull something.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Heck,
    A few years about ok ok mabe more then 20yrs ago I was going to a private boarding school in western NC. Had a MD drivers lic with a NC address on it. Had to show them my student ID and no problem. Got pulled over about 6 months later local cop took one look at the md lic with the nc address and boy, what in the heck is this? told him i was a student living in a boarding academy. He ran my lic to make sure it was legit came back to me and handed me a warning. Told me that is the first time in his 20 plus years he has ever seen that on a MD lic.

Aug 7, 2016
    While all these stories are great, I guess what I would really like to know is once I register one firearm in DC with a lease agreement, do I have to have every purchase thereafter transferred into DC through FFL while I occupy that lease?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    why post possible illegality on a public forum?
    Nothing illegal about it. Issued by the state of MD. DC is another matter, I've had trouble getting a police report for investigative purposes or work related/legal matters. Most states require you to become a resident in a certain time frame I don't know about the district. I cannot imagine registering a firearm there. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom