Does anyone have a time machine that can fit a ton of Nagants?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWGuns

Aug 29, 2011
    Pasadena, MD

So I was visiting my grandfather and looking through his collection of Popular Mechanics magazines and found this. Even though this August 1956 issue is before my time, I still will say "oh the good 'ol days".

Just thought some of you would appreciate seeing this and might bring back some memories.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I love this line in the advertisement.

"A Once-In-A-Lifetime collector's item."

Yeah, right... I would call a 57 year stretch a pretty long "ONCE" in a lifetime opportunity. :rolleyes:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Until I tossed it out recently, I had one of those drill press conversion rigs. I got it for a buck at a yard sale, kept it 20 years, and never used it.

Ten years after that ad was run, a classmate's dad "armed" a military school with Springfields for $17 each. (They had used Garands the year before, but the US Military withdrew their ROTC program.)

Also, those rifles, based on the date, could have been French captures from the Viet Minh. That would also explain the perception that it was a once in a lifetime deal--who would have imagined, in 1956, that we'd ever be importing milsurp arms from Russia?

Also, also, in March of that year the minimum wage for federal employees was changed from 75 cents per hour to one dollar per hour. State minimum wages varied, but were almost always lower than what the fed paid, so we are looking at about three days' post-withholding income for an entry-level person to buy this, or about a week's pay for a junior enlisted man in the U.S. military.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom