• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    I was wondering if anyone has a flat bender I can use. I can spot you some money for lwtting me use it, either at your place or let me borrow it. Looking to bend an ak flat. Thanks.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    What kind of flat? New style with the bent top rails, or old style where you have to hammer them down?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You can do these without a flat bender, but it takes a while to hand hammer a flat, they still come out decent though.

Mark

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    You guys and your AKs. lol . Hope you find what your looking for. Ill stick to building simplistic things like the AR platform. Building an AK from scratch intimidates the hell out of me. Hell, more power to you. Personally, Ide rather buy one. Or two.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    You guys and your AKs. lol . Hope you find what your looking for. Ill stick to building simplistic things like the AR platform. Building an AK from scratch intimidates the hell out of me. Hell, more power to you. Personally, Ide rather buy one. Or two.

It's more like building an 80% AR lower with machining vs building an AK from a flat with bending and heat treating. They're both pretty involved processes. I know I couldn't do either, but want to do both :)

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I think I may be able to build and 80% lower with the proper tools, some screw ups, a whole lot of time, and some teaching. The ak, with the rivets and the bending to specs plus the barrel installation just makes me want the pros to do it. Just not confident enough. Never riveted before and quite frankly, im not too familiar with the trigger and spring. In both of my aks, it looks like the spring is just a wire wound around the trigger. I would be lost if I ever had to pull it apart. More power to you guys.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    I think I may be able to build and 80% lower with the proper tools, some screw ups, a whole lot of time, and some teaching. The ak, with the rivets and the bending to specs plus the barrel installation just makes me want the pros to do it. Just not confident enough. Never riveted before and quite frankly, im not too familiar with the trigger and spring. In both of my aks, it looks like the spring is just a wire wound around the trigger. I would be lost if I ever had to pull it apart. More power to you guys.

agi has a good video on how to build an ak.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    im not too familiar with the trigger and spring.

AK%20MAIN%20SPRING.jpg

how could that possibly be any more confusing than an ar-15 trigger spring?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have a Flat bending jig. All you need is the hydraulic press. Mine does the side rails but I think they come out better bumped with a wide piece of brass to aviod damaging the jig. PM if interested.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    building an AK is easy, if you have the jigs and tools required. I did my last one in 4 evenings, during the work week. Figure about 3-4 hours per evening. The one before that I did in a weekend. And I'm not a professional machinest by trade, I'm an IT guy. But the cost of the flat bending jig and hydrolic press, and the other tools required can be daunting. I spent at least twice the cost of my first AK kit on tooling to put it together. But now that I've got all the stuff. It's a snap to build one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom