• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do You Support A Training Requirement?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Training is not a democrat vs republican issue. Why make it one? I reckon some of the folks on this site that are rabidly calling for training are repubs as well.

I think those that vote for training really needed it to know which end of the tube to put the round in.
    Therefore, being democrats, they think everyone needs to be taught.
    I am an NRA certified instructor, I like training. Best lessons are from people that take the class. Not the course.

If you need it, take it.
    BTW, can I send some of you back to the MVA to retake the drivers test!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Training is not a democrat vs republican issue. Why make it one? I reckon some of the folks on this site that are rabidly calling for training are repubs as well.

In this case the local Democratic antigun leadership is using it as such. To say otherwise is as unrealistic as their irrational fear of guns.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Until the definition of “mandatory” is clearly defined, (who, what, when, where, how much, $$$, etc.) is answered, the question is a “cluster F***” at best.

^^ THIS ^^

As long as politicians can twist and contort the mandate for their own purposes it's a complete Loser.

It really shows the level of distrust we have in our State Gov't, it's quite pathetic.

pingrr

Dec 7, 2011
    The training for every gun purchase is what gets me. That rule will definitely restrict what people buy.

So if I buy a Glock 30 I have to go to some kind of training course. Then I decide to buy a Glock 38 a couple weeks later. I will have to retake the same training course all over?

Once you have taken the same course 3 or 4 times you are just going to have a bunch of people falling a sleep in class. All they will be doing is showing up to put in seat time.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Exactly the roadblock they intend. Too bad they do not understand that this only microscopically reduces sales ... but macro pisses us off. Sort of like wearing a target.

The training for every gun purchase is what gets me. That rule will definitely restrict what people buy.

So if I buy a Glock 30 I have to go to some kind of training course. Then I decide to buy a Glock 38 a couple weeks later. I will have to retake the same training course all over?

Once you have taken the same course 3 or 4 times you are just going to have a bunch of people falling a sleep in class. All they will be doing is showing up to put in seat time.

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    There are a lot of ways to abuse training, and I called asking my delegates to not support an ambiguous training requirement.

But in a hypothetical situation where I was the one writing and implementing the law, I'd want some kind of free online course that covers the various laws, regulations, maybe a few case precidents, and some basic safety stuff.

For one that's information I'd really want to have.

Beyond that what you don't want are a bunch of incidents with idiots breaking the laws, nor do I want some joker hurting somebody with an ND because they thought carrying without the trigger covered was a good idea.

Now one should be careful in restricting a right because someone might make a very poor uninformed choice. But a little free online training seems reasonable.

buffalodan

Feb 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Do bad guys have to be trained to carry a gun to rob you?
    Do I have to be trained to vote, speak, or have privacy?

Like gura said, the 2A has to stop being seen and treated like the red headed stepchild and get full recognition.

REQUIRING training for CCW is stupid, it's basically a poll tax.
    SHOULD people be trained if they are going to CCW? unequivocally yes.

Same thing for people voting. They don't have to know a single shit about who they vote for, but it would be nice if they did.

:thumbsup: my thoughts exactly.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Hell no, no mandatory training, no matter the cost, no matter the time restriction.

Should training, particularly on the specifics of the laws, be encouraged for everyone? Absolutely. But should it be a requirement to exercise a right? Never.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I voted "Yes", but not the open ended Frosh training program. A one time, under 100.00 training requirement seems very reasonable to me. Personaly I would absolutely want training before I took on such a HUGE responsibility, but that's just me..

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you vote "yes" for this poll (mandatory training), then you de facto support HB 579. You're likely anti-2A as well, whether or not you realize or admit it. Once .gov is empowered to mandate "training", as with HB 579, then .gov can quickly and quietly mandate impossible-to-achieve training requirements, especially in a hard-left state like MD. Literally overnight, the net effect can render null and void the ability to obtain a CCW or even purchase a firearm (regulated or not). So, if you voted "yes" already, carefully re-consider, since the old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" couldn't apply any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom