• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you like your rifles to have good recoil?

• YES because I'm a man and a rifle should have recoil.

Votes: 107 70.9%
    • NO because I'm a girly-girl and it hurts my shoulder

Votes: 44 29.1%

• Total voters

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    More recoil means higher split times, which really means I can shoot the bad guy less before he falls down or runs away.

Kais

Mar 20, 2011
    Halethorpe
    Yes, I want my rifle to kick. But I like a nice light recoil in my plinkers. Now a .22LR is almost like shooting a bb gun, does not appeal to me.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Since being a member of MDS I've ready numerous posts that guys don't like recoil when it comes to AK's and AR's. Even the infamous Clandestine has made references to less recoil before IIRC. Why don't you want recoil with your rifle? Zippy, if you don't want recoil then shoot your .22 all day. But damnit....its a rifle, its suppose to have recoil. :mad54: Please help me understand this?

(I decided to make it a poll)
    What's your definition of recoil, are we talkin 30-06 or 577 t-Rex ? Cuz you can keep the t-Rex and call me a pansy!

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I think recoil makes it FUN. I love to take newbies to the range and after they watch me put a few through a M39 or a 8mm Mauser, they think they are ready. I stand back and look like this :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Less recoil makes a weapon a more effective defensive tool.

Take 2 Bolt Action .308's. One equipped with a Recoil Pad, Recoil Reducer and a Brake, and the other bone stock. The modded .308 will allow faster follow up shots and allow the shooter to practice with less fatigue.

I dont see people buying .50BMG Barrets and removing the Brake to make the gun more "Manly".

Then you have idiots who put high recoiling fireamrs in the hands of children and small women. Nothing like making someones first time shooting a painful endeavor and making them not want to shoot again. Genius!

Amateurs prefer a gun that recoils more.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD

Take 2 Bolt Action .308's. One equipped with a Recoil Pad, Recoil Reducer and a Brake, and the other bone stock. The modded .308 will allow faster follow up shots and allow the shooter to practice with less fatigue.

I dont see people buying .50BMG Barrets and removing the Brake to make the gun more "Manly".

Then you have idiots who put high recoiling fireamrs in the hands of children and small women. Nothing like making someones first time shooting a painful endeavor and making them not want to shoot again. Genius!

I remember a couple a months ago just after I bought an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my Glock 35 and was down at the range trying it out. One of the RSO's came up to me asking if I was shooting a 22 conversion and would I let the woman standing next to him try it out. I loaded up a couple of mags, handed the mags and pistol to her and told her to have fun. After she finished and had the big smile on here face, she said there was still hope for here to be interested in shooting. That day was her first time shooting and her boyfriend 4 lanes down was try to start her off with his GLock 21 which was too much kick and painful for her to shoot. If it wasn't for the RSO who saw that I was shooting the 22 conversion, I think she would have been turned off to shooting altogether.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I remember a couple a months ago just after I bought an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my Glock 35 and was down at the range trying it out. One of the RSO's came up to me asking if I was shooting a 22 conversion and would I let the woman standing next to him try it out. I loaded up a couple of mags, handed the mags and pistol to her and told her to have fun. After she finished and had the big smile on here face, she said there was still hope for here to be interested in shooting. That day was her first time shooting and her boyfriend 4 lanes down was try to start her off with his GLock 21 which was too much kick and painful for her to shoot. If it wasn't for the RSO who saw that I was shooting the 22 conversion, I think she would have been turned off to shooting altogether.

Yeah, my buddy tried to introduce his very small girlfriend to doting with a glock 17, and she could hardly hold onto the damn thing. I handed her my 22/45, and she just loved it right away.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I'm 5'4 130. I've taught girls smaller than me, (sub 5 feet, probably under 100lb) to shoot. And we start on my glock 17. If you teach them right, it doesn't make too much difference.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I'm 5'4 130. I've taught girls smaller than me, (sub 5 feet, probably under 100lb) to shoot. And we start on my glock 17. If you teach them right, it doesn't make too much difference.

That's great if they're not recoil shy. I know people who are 6 feet tall, 200 lbs and never enjoy shooting anything big. I also have a buddy who is 120 lbs, and his favorite gun to shoot is a mosin m44.

Teaching can only go so far, if the person doesn't enjoy it, so, yeah. It does make a difference.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There's a time and a place for heavy recoil - introducing new shooters to the sport, defensive applications, and competition isn't one of them, I'll happily give Clandestine that.

For me, heavy recoiling weapons aren't really used in any of those scenarios - they're used when it's time to cut loose and reintroduce a little pain into your life. I like big-bore, hard kicking rifles/shotguns, and handguns - to a point.

That's me though, I enjoy having a sore shoulder or wrist the day after shooting something kind of heavy kicking, always been that way, always will be. My practical guns, I'd gladly put in the hands of any rookie, cause they're pleasant to shoot and easy to handle.

I have no idea if any of that makes any sense to anyone else other than me.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have never been recoil sensitive. Never.

Then, a good friend offered his rifle that he built (on a Ruger #1), for me to shoot.
    The caliber - .375 H&H Magnum. Octagonal barrel. Beautiful rifle!!

I 'saddled up' behind the stock and fired it from the bench.
    "Boooooooooooooooooom!"

"Wanna shoot it, again?"
    "Absolutely!"

Round #2 downrange.
    "Wanna shoot it, again?"
    "Sure."

Round #3 downrange.
    "Wanna shoot it, again?"
    "Take this rifle and put it where the sun don't shine!"

That darned .375 H&H just about crossed my eyes. I know they were watering!

I had to give up shooting my M1 Garand in High Power Rifle, because of a back injury, and recoil. (And not being able to get out of Prone.)

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD

:thumbsup:
    Recoil, for what it is, provides no actual, physical benefit and only serves as a hindrance to accurate and precise shooting. Heavy recoiling rifles are more difficult to shoot accurately and slow your following shots and make shooting from compromised positions more difficult. Why do you think everyone is rechambering their .30 cals for 6.5s? Less recoil for one. Not to mention it isn't great for your retina's, either.

When funds allow, suppressors for all rifles.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    That's great if they're not recoil shy. I know people who are 6 feet tall, 200 lbs and never enjoy shooting anything big. I also have a buddy who is 120 lbs, and his favorite gun to shoot is a mosin m44.

Teaching can only go so far, if the person doesn't enjoy it, so, yeah. It does make a difference.

If they have never held a firearm before they can't be recoil shy. You just teach them the proper way to do it and it's not a problem. Not everybody likes shooting, but to say that you shouldn't start on a glock 17 because it has too much recoil is absurd.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have never been recoil sensitive. Never.

Then, a good friend offered his rifle that he built (on a Ruger #1), for me to shoot.
    The caliber - .375 H&H Magnum. Octagonal barrel. Beautiful rifle!!

I 'saddled up' behind the stock and fired it from the bench.
    "Boooooooooooooooooom!"

"Wanna shoot it, again?"
    "Absolutely!"

Round #2 downrange.
    "Wanna shoot it, again?"
    "Sure."

Round #3 downrange.
    "Wanna shoot it, again?"
    "Take this rifle and put it where the sun don't shine!"

That darned .375 H&H just about crossed my eyes. I know they were watering!

I had to give up shooting my M1 Garand in High Power Rifle, because of a back injury, and recoil. (And not being able to get out of Prone.)

Now, take that same rifle and try to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with it; it's a challenge.

For all of those that "love recoil", try shooting a big boomer accurately. Easier said than done. You have to truly put the recoil out of your mind.

It might not be "manly" (:sad20:) to say, but anytime you can mitigate recoil, you are universally better off.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Manly has nothing to do with it. If I could make a .308 that produced no felt recoil at all but kept the same ballistics as a standard one, I'd have produced a better weapon.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Recoil is the cost of doing business when you get into larger calibers. I've either become numb or have learned how to properly shoulder my K98k, because I can shoot it a good while and not be bothered by the recoil anymore.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    My uncle nicknamed me "Mr Jello", because I relax so much behind my stick that recoil will ripple down my body... now, keep in mind at the time I was nowhere near overweight at the time! :innocent0 :D

I can sit behind a .300 RUM or Win all day without a problem. My main distance deer rig is a .300RUM Remmy 700 LSS... 26" barrel, no brake, max load shooting a 220SMK, weighs ~9#s w/ glass. Mike Rescigno @ Tactical Operations said I was a glutton for punishment, being only 5'9" and 190#s! :party29:

Plus, it'll teach me a helluva lesson if I don't do my part properly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom