• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm just curious how many keep track of the amount of ammo you put through each of your guns?

If so, why? Is a handgun only good for x amount of rounds?

On my target guns, yes. Stainless barrels are perhaps more accurate but don't last as long as say, a 4150V melonited (or even chrome lined) barrel out of an AR. I'll keep track of my rounds out of my target bolt guns as well - usually you'll notice your groups getting slightly bigger after ~5k rounds (or less, or more, depending on your caliber/load/etc.), which will continue to get worse until you replace the barrel. DOPE books are useful for that.

For my range/plinking guns, not so much. My 'fun' AR that I putz around with, or teach people to shoot with, I don't worry about...I just replace parts when they show signs of wear. I'm not as concerned with a possible failure to feed/extract, slight loss of accuracy, etc.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I keep a log book for all my competition guns. I was given a log book from the armorer at the Marine Corps RTE shop at Quantico with my double lug M1A. The log book has pages for all sorts of information including, remarks, barrel type, twist rate, head space as well as pages for date/number of rounds fired/cumulative total of rounds fired/users name/and remarks for each shooting session. In addition to round count, I record the load or lot # of the ammo, distance, sight settings, the range facility used and any useful remarks about performance. Similar log books are available at Creedmoor Sports. I don't bother with hunting rifles, handguns and other non-competition firearms since they do not see anywhere near that level of use.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    maybe your first few firearms sure...but after dozens and dozens of purchases exact "ammo count" is just kinda stupid.

Yes. For spring changes and if I want to sell it, it's nice to say X gun had this many rounds through it.

I disagree that it is stupid...I keep a running tally on every round, through every firearm. Like said, the very first thing anyone asks (if you're selling), and the very first thing I ask (if I'm buying) is how many rounds have been through it...

If someone is selling a firearm, and has no clue to the answer, then I'd personally not buy it...I know exactly how many rounds have been down the barrel of anything that I own.

It also keeps me somewhat organized as to a rotation...I write down the new total rounds, and the date. At a quick glance, I see if one has been ignored for a long time, and will take it out and exercise it. ;)

I never take more than 4 guns to the range, so it takes all of a minute to update while I am wiping them down, getting them ready to put away.

On the bad side, it also tells me roughly how much money I have spent on ammo...that part is kind of depressing...:o

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    i keep track of my ammo, organized by caliber, and manufacturer and lot number. as far as rounds down a firearm i have a +/- 5% idea on each firearm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    5k is where most need servicing. Springs replaced and such.
    Tear off the flap of a box of ammo when you're done with it and put it in a box. Every ten flaps mark the box. When the box is too marked up to make new marks replace the box.

Tell that to my USPSA comp Para P14-45.

It has some 20K rounds through it. I may have replaced the recoil spring once.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm a CPA, so I keep track of everything including number of rounds through each gun. Plus, as a reloader, I have a complete inventory of all my supplies and ammo.

I have an inventory of supplies and ammo.

And a database of firearms (when, where, how much).

But no track of rounds per gun. Except my .308 bolt gun. And just since it got upgraded. But it only had maybe 20 - 40 round through it before.

I also have a database of almost every reloading session. For most, I have have lot numbers of powder and primers used.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Protege V,

I'm starting to notice that you stand out from the others on this forum...
    LMFAO, what gave it away?
    5f1815f95e4ca2c9c0952182c66c5818.jpg

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If someone is selling a firearm, and has no clue to the answer, then I'd personally not buy it...I know exactly how many rounds have been down the barrel of anything that I own.

OK. This convinced me to keep track of round count by firearm. I'm not tracking huge details, but I made a spreadsheet in Excel on my iPhone that I'll update after shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HWB3

Jan 18, 2017
    Ellicott City
    I just keep track of how many time the brass has been reloaded. I have a Glock 23 that has had over 10k rounds through it over the course of ten years without any problems.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Yes, on all my guns. While the guns themselves should last, things like recoil springs need changing at regular intervals. Since I consider all of my firearms potential defensive tools, I don't want the next round out of one of them to be the one where some spring that should have been changed a thousand rounds before fails. I just keep an index card with each gun and write down the amounts. When I attend a class, I always bring a known quantity of ammo and then just count what's left after the class. It's not calculus.

lkrose78

Nov 18, 2016
    AA County
    Yes, on all my guns. While the guns themselves should last, things like recoil springs need changing at regular intervals. Since I consider all of my firearms potential defensive tools, I don't want the next round out of one of them to be the one where some spring that should have been changed a thousand rounds before fails. I just keep an index card with each gun and write down the amounts. When I attend a class, I always bring a known quantity of ammo and then just count what's left after the class. It's not calculus.

I like this idea! :thumbsup:

slowz32

Dec 3, 2014
    Mt. Airy
    While that sounds simple. I bring about 6 pistols to the range at a time. More than a few are chambered in the same caliber. So different guns are getting different amounts of ammo run thru them. My friends and I also shoot each others firearms with our own ammo, another way to not keep track. I personally would be pulling my hair out trying to keep track of rounds thru each one of my guns at the range. But hey if people want to count their rounds more power to them, doesn't bother me! :party29:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    For handguns, the only pistol I kept round counts for was my Gold Cup. I started for .22LR pistols, but stopped as accuracy never seemed to wane . For rifles, only my match guns... I ball park my plinkers, but don't keep serious records on them.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not an exact count for pistols, but a close approximation. Simply for maintenance/preventative actions.

I was always advised to replace the recoil spring assembly on my 4" M&P .45 at roughly 3500/3800 rounds. At 4k, I started to have cycling issues (although my hand loads were also pushing it some - 200gr clocking just shy of 1100fps.), so I stick with that schedule because I haven't had any cycling issues since starting that approach. I've also tamed the hand loads a notch or two.

That's my most used/shot handgun at between 17 to 18k rounds. 5 spent spring assemblies sitting in the parts bin.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Tell that to my USPSA comp Para P14-45.

It has some 20K rounds through it. I may have replaced the recoil spring once.

Oh Pinecone wondrous wizard and keeper of all knowledge known to man and some known only to monkeys, I said most. Which means not all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom