• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    I have seen some weird chemical reactions. Unless you know EXACTLY what the parts of your gun are made of AND the chemicals in the foam, all bets are off. I've seen fishing lures melt through tackle boxes like they were made of acid and plastic handguards/buttstocks deformed as well. Your call.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    not an expert, but those little silicone packs you get for things, I'm pretty sure you can put those in your cases, and things and they should work too..and then change them out when you get "newer" ones

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Those packs are silica gel dessicant packs. You can also buy larger ones.

You can heat them up to drive off the moisture and reuse them.

But better is to buy the packs, with the color indicator to tell you when to bake them.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    not an expert, but those little silicone packs you get for things, I'm pretty sure you can put those in your cases, and things and they should work too..and then change them out when you get "newer" ones

I use these things everywhere. I put them in handgun safes, ammo cans, containers with reloading dies, etc.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    Those packs are silica gel dessicant packs. You can also buy larger ones.

You can heat them up to drive off the moisture and reuse them.

But better is to buy the packs, with the color indicator to tell you when to bake them.

Yep, but I don't store in cases, just in safe but figured I mention if someone wanted a cheaper idea :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    VCI paper - better and cheaper

If you are interested in using VCI paper, I'd avoid the marked-up, low-end papers that are "gun branded". You can buy Cortec VCI paper by the roll cheaper than you'll find anything on Brownells.

Look for VpCI-144 and VpCI-146 paper. A 12" x 600' roll goes for $38.69 at texastechnologies.com -- but I'm sure there's cheaper out there.

Wrapping the firearm works best, but you will still get protection just from having it there. The paper out-gasses just like any other VCI product, and will help prevent corrosion in an enclosed space.

The two Cortec products I listed will protect just about any metal, and are non-toxic. Once you have the magic paper, you'll find a lot of uses for it around the house.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Keeping pictures of Martin O'Malley in the immediate vicinity of your firearms will also cause firarms to rust. Science hasn't figured out why yet but they suspect it's a fear response similar to the way one's butthole will clench up when surrounded by a pack of rabid dogs.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    About 15 years ago coming back from Va., I put a cold (but dry) muzzleloader into a dry foam-lined case. The cold metal, unbeknownst to me, condensed moisture out of the air in the foam, and when I opened the case 24 hours later the barrel was coated in a thin layer of rust.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    and on that news I am now worried for the weapons I stored in cases at home while I am TDY, grr never knew about the foam being bad for the metal. Guess I will need to build some PVC pipe cases for everything...

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    and on that news I am now worried for the weapons I stored in cases at home while I am TDY, grr never knew about the foam being bad for the metal. Guess I will need to build some PVC pipe cases for everything...

I wouldn't be too stressed. While one of my rifles had some minor surface rust (came off easily) the rest of my guns didn't have anything wrong with them. I had them in those cases for over 2 years.

Just wiped them down again, put them in the bags and stuck them in the cases again. No big deal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

In most gun cases the foam is just snugged into the case and will actually lift out.

Just take the foam out and put the guns in $6 silicone impregnated gun socks in the cases. You don't need to build anything new.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If I oil my firearms before I store them would that prevent this?

I clean and oil all my firearms after I use them and before I store them.

Do what you want, your mind is made up.

If you store them in soft gun cases that have foam or the older flannel type linings, the material will wick any oil away as well as allow humidity to make contact with the metal. The warning isn't so much directed toward Styrofoam which does not take moisture from the air nor absorb oil readily from the metal.

Even using materials you are being warned about, you would likely be OK If you store in a very dry area. However, why take the chance.(..and you never want to store someplace very humid anyway). If you must store a gun in a soft case with flannel or absorptive foam....or even in a absorptive foam lined hard case, put it in a silicone treated gun sock then in your case. One more thing....if you are storing in a case, that is inconvenient for storing in a safe as it is too bulky. Do you not keep your firearms secure? Every gun I own is in a safe sleeved with a sock or put in a Bore Stores (Bore Stores are silicone impregnated AND have a rust inhibitor...I use the pistol pouches for almost all my pistols).

Someone else posted Brownells gun socks. Brownell's is my source for bore stores: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...n-cases/long-term-storage-cases-prod1850.aspx

FYI, Scott's (where I work a couple days a week) have gun socks and a few bore stores if you want to just buy a couple and try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom