• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Yeah i think that heatshield pissed me off so bad i want to throw it in the garbage!! It will never o near another firearm own. Trust me i have an ocd about my shit looking new lol. I was m-fing quite a bit. I will be sure to keep you guys posted on the glocks performance as well. Anxious to see how good the groups are at 15 feet with it. Not to mention I want to shoot this baby at night and see the fire come out the top. I have never sot a compensated glock. Are they louder like that? What can i expect performance wise? My gen 3 17 w/night sights is spot on that is for sure!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah i think that heatshield pissed me off so bad i want to throw it in the garbage!! It will never o near another firearm own. Trust me i have an ocd about my shit looking new lol. I was m-fing quite a bit. I will be sure to keep you guys posted on the glocks performance as well. Anxious to see how good the groups are at 15 feet with it. Not to mention I want to shoot this baby at night and see the fire come out the top. I have never sot a compensated glock. Are they louder like that? What can i expect performance wise? My gen 3 17 w/night sights is spot on that is for sure!

They're slightly louder, and the flash is right up where you're looking at the front sight. The flash isn't as big a deal as many would make it seem since most decent defensive loads use flash redardants in their powders and you'd still have a flash out the front even if the ports weren't there. The bigger impact to me would be the rocket jets out the top of the gun and their impact on shooting in retention. You've got to be careful not be be tagged by them if you're shooting with compressed positions. You also lose a little velocity with the ports.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    :DEven with the velocity of the rounds being slightly slower I sure as hell would not want to be hit with a 40 cal slug!! Any slug for that matter!!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    FYI, a Blued Finish will require more maintenence and often scratches much easier thatn a Parkerized Finish.

If you had asked many of us here would have told you that that heatchield was a No-Go on that model.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    It's all good i will baby the gun now like i do the rest of my guns. I can't wait to get this blued barrel on the gun!! I asked the box from mossberg. Said for 500 and 590. I trusted their listings and tried it on a 590. Nothing less nothing more. I am getting loads of pm's from guys telling me not to sweat. Most are assuring me that we all make mistakes with putting accessories on our guns at one time or another. To me a messed up barrel sucks but is nothing that a hot bluing can't take care of!!

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    That Stealth-Coating process sounds nice

Look at a process called stealth coating.
    http://www.gunfinish.com/
    My gf's uncle gave me a rusted up 1187 to fix up and refinish. After stealthcoating it, it's essentially now impossible to get to rust or scratch.

Read the website. It sounds both effective and affordable.:thumbsup:

I'll hafta keep it in mind for the next time somebody gives me a rusty old gun. Did you have to bead-blast the 1187 first to remove the loose corrosion?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    It's all good i will baby the gun now like i do the rest of my guns. I can't wait to get this blued barrel on the gun!! I asked the box from mossberg. Said for 500 and 590. I trusted their listings and tried it on a 590. Nothing less nothing more. I am getting loads of pm's from guys telling me not to sweat. Most are assuring me that we all make mistakes with putting accessories on our guns at one time or another. To me a messed up barrel sucks but is nothing that a hot bluing can't take care of!!

The breacher barrel is a recent addition. For decades the heat shield has been a standard option with these so they probably had'nt given it enough thought to delete it from this particular model.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    FYI, a Blued Finish will require more maintenence and often scratches much easier thatn a Parkerized Finish.

If you had asked many of us here would have told you that that heatchield was a No-Go on that model.

Next is a little bit of home checkering on the slide and grip, it'll come out reeaal nice.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Spray it with Ceracote and bake it in the oven.(the wife won't mind) Utility guns are made to run hard and put away wet. Pretty guns are nice but I have little use for anything I can't touch up with a spray can.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Spray it with Ceracote and bake it in the oven.(the wife won't mind) Utility guns are made to run hard and put away wet. Pretty guns are nice but I have little use for anything I can't touch up with a spray can.

100%. There are workhorses and there are show horses. The op has a 500, it's a workhorse. Who gives a sh!t? I'm not saying don't take care of it but it's made to be used and not to be babied. But I guess to each his own. It's like I was telling my brother when we went hunting. We were walking through the woods, he borrowed one of my rifles. It got some scratches on the reciever and some dirt and sand. Nothing big. Just from tree branches and such. He felt so bad. Thought I was going to flip on him. Then I showed him my rifle. Then gave him the "it's a tool speech". He still felt bad but at least he understood it was meant to be used. Gives it character. Btw, most of the little scratches buffed off when I cleaned it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Read the website. It sounds both effective and affordable.:thumbsup:

I'll hafta keep it in mind for the next time somebody gives me a rusty old gun. Did you have to bead-blast the 1187 first to remove the loose corrosion?

I made a thread on it a while back. I stripped it and scrubbed what rust I could off. While doing that, I found a crack in the barrel under the front sight post (slug model). I shipped it off to remington and they replaced the barrel for free. From there, ask chad. scotts gynsmithing prepped it and sent it off for me. Jenni's uncle referrs to it as his deerslayer and says it just runs and runs like never before when its dirty. I remounted a saddle mount and sighted in his leupold, thing is impressive with lightfelds....not savage impressive....but good for a semi.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    :DYep my guns are junk!! I don't take care of any of them. I used a hammer on every last one in the pic!!

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
      photo (4).jpg
      71 KB · Views: 628

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Thanks Richb; still working on it. i have a magic figure in my head of when to stop. i am half way there!!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    OP: we all make mistakes, own up to it and use it as a learning experience. That heat shield was not made for your barrel. There's a reason why most accessories have a warning that says something like "installation must be completed by a qualified gunsmith or armorer." Something that may obvious to such a person may not be to you, and this is the same in any mechanical field. Please don't take offense. :)

Many manufacturers that sell their parts to customers may not warranty them if they're improperly installed. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but don't blame the manufacturer, they can't control what happens to their guns/parts after it leaves their doors.

And another thing about guns. If you need to force something or use a hammer, please stop and contact a gunsmith or authorized repair center for the gun's manufacturer. As you saw yourself it can cause more harm than good. Paying shipping to swap out or return that heatshield would have been much less expensive than refinishing it. I'm not trying to be condescending or mean, just trying to help you out. Trust me before I went to gunsmithing school, I tried a few "home projects" much like yours that ended up in a similar way. The trick with guns is to know your limitations, this time it was cosmetic damage but you should be careful and seek the advice of a pro when dealing with firearms for safety's sake. :thumbsup:

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Same thing happened to me when I installed the shield on a friends 590. It took several hours of modifying the shield, and tinkering with different install procedures to get it to work. There are so many variations of the 590 that some will not work with the shield. Sure would be nice if the factory said as much. I finally got it installed, but a 10 minute job ended up being 3 hours or so.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    :thumbsup:Feels pretty good to know I am not the only gun in America to have made this error. Thanks for the back up DarthZed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom