• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I finally plan on hunting here. I have a lifetime sportman license from NY and still have my hunter safety card from there. I'm too young to be grandfathered in.

Will MD recognize my credentials and allow me to purchase a hunting license? I would think yes, but none of the regulations books seemed to say it. NY recognizes hunter education (and licenses) from all states and provinces.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am so mad at myself. I should have gotten my lifetime license from NY before I moved and gave up my NY ID.

Thanks for making me think of that again..:o

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I am so mad at myself. I should have gotten my lifetime license from NY before I moved and gave up my NY ID.

Thanks for making me think of that again..:o

:rasp: I hunt with my dad in Delaware County (Catskills) and Eastern Long Island. A full privileges non-resident license runs $200+ a year. Paying the $600 up front made sense when I was about to move out of state. It has gone higher since then. I get big game, small game, turkey tags, doe tags, and freshwater fishing all included each year. I don't get saltwater fishing, which used to be free.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I finally plan on hunting here. I have a lifetime sportman license from NY and still have my hunter safety card from there. I'm too young to be grandfathered in.

Will MD recognize my credentials and allow me to purchase a hunting license? I would think yes, but none of the regulations books seemed to say it. NY recognizes hunter education (and licenses) from all states and provinces.
    Hunter Education Requirements

To purchase a hunting license or to hunt in Maryland, state law requires:
    • Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety (required for junior licensees), or
    • Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to July 1, 1977, or
    • Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July 1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting license, or
    • Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident license and will only hunt waterfowl.
    Note: Persons under the age of 18 hunting on family property when a license is not required, must have a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/hunter_education.asp

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Hunter Education Requirements

To purchase a hunting license or to hunt in Maryland, state law requires:
    • Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety (required for junior licensees), or
    • Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to July 1, 1977, or
    • Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July 1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting license, or
    • Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident license and will only hunt waterfowl.
    Note: Persons under the age of 18 hunting on family property when a license is not required, must have a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/hunter_education.asp

So here's why I asked the question: New York doesn't call it a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety it's called a Hunter Safety Certificate. Is there reciprocity?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    So here's why I asked the question: New York doesn't call it a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety it's called a Hunter Safety Certificate. Is there reciprocity?

As long as you have "a certificate" stating that you have passed a "course" in some state, it does not matter in Maryland, or any other state. The certificate does not have to be issued by a specific state in order for you to buy a hunting license in that state. The only issue after the fact is "residency". I guess it is better explained as the Certificate being of Federal coverage and the Resident license being of state coverage.

Maryland for instance use to call it a "Hunters Safety Certificate" (printed on my certificate) now it is called a "Hunters Education certificate"(printed on my nephews certificate), all the same thing but the general coverage terminology has changed. I'm sure, hidden in there somewhere, it is a matter of legal liabilities, as Maryland really likes to cover their backside on liability issues. The Maryland handgun course is a great example of this, but, that's another story for another day.

jpuff

Feb 11, 2011
    LaPlata, MD
    I have taken the hunter safty course years ago when i was younger. Now i have a problem. I seem to have miss placed my card from moving out of house to house and I cant rememeber my number. And I see if I have taken it before 1990 theres a chance I have to take the test all over. Does anyone have ant ideas on this? Do i have to or is there something else I can do.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Do you still have a copy of your hunting license? If yes, please use this as a proof... it should have your course number on it.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    For those that have a license, did you attend a class or take the course via the internet? I'm interested in knowing which method is less of a pain in the butt although that's not to say I'm not safety concious.

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    When I got my first MD license I used my NY Hunter's Safety card that I got as a kid in the early 1960's. I had to explain that the cards back then were NOT numbered! But, it was accepted. Yours should be too.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I passed a safety course in NY in the 60s and had a license. Moved to MD in the 70s and hunted for many years. Haven't hunted in several years and have none of the old paperwork. What would be needed to get a MD license? One shop said they would sell me a license based on my age. Looking at some of the public hunting lands it says I have to produce a safety course card to hunt there. Would I have to take a safety course again to be able to hunt?

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    For those that have a license, did you attend a class or take the course via the internet? I'm interested in knowing which method is less of a pain in the butt although that's not to say I'm not safety concious.

I took the online course and then did the one day field event ao APG(they hosted one). Much easier for me who works midnights then having to attend a class for a couple weeks.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Definitely do a portion online if you can. That class was a royal pain in the ass. When I took the class there was lots of macho bullshitting, little information that wasn't covered more clearly and in better detail in the instructional book.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD

I took mine online and did the one day (6 hours or whatever it was) class. I much prefer it that way. Some in my class still complained, like that guy who had a fit because he was in the military and was "already proficient with firearms and shouldn't have to take this class" and then later missed both shots at the range. :lol2:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I passed a safety course in NY in the 60s and had a license. Moved to MD in the 70s and hunted for many years. Haven't hunted in several years and have none of the old paperwork. What would be needed to get a MD license? One shop said they would sell me a license based on my age. Looking at some of the public hunting lands it says I have to produce a safety course card to hunt there. Would I have to take a safety course again to be able to hunt?

Page 12...of the hunting handbook

To hunt or purchase a hunting license in Maryland, State law
    requires:
    • Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and
    Hunting Safety (required for junior licenses), or
    • Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to
    July 1, 1977, or
    • Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July
    1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting
    license, or
    • Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident license and
    will only hunt waterfowl.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Page 12...of the hunting handbook

To hunt or purchase a hunting license in Maryland, State law
    requires:
    • Presentation of a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and
    Hunting Safety (required for junior licenses), or
    • Certification that you held a hunting license issued prior to
    July 1, 1977, or
    • Certification that you hunted on private property prior to July
    1, 1977, and were legally exempt from purchasing a hunting
    license, or
    • Certification that you are purchasing a nonresident license and
    will only hunt waterfowl.

What constitutes certification that I had a license prior to 7/1/77 or that I hunted on private property prior to that time?

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    When I got my first MD license I used my NY Hunter's Safety card that I got as a kid in the early 1960's. I had to explain that the cards back then were NOT numbered! But, it was accepted. Yours should be too.

Had the same issue this year with my AZ card (1986). No number really threw the desk clerk at the Elkton WalMart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom