• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The company I work for is coming through with some back pay. One of the local gun shops has a Savage, heavy barreled bolt rifle in .300 WinMag. Left hand bolt, looks like it would be a great setup for long range shooting. But do I really need a WinMag? It's used, it's $500, no scope, blind box mag, heavy. Not going to be carting this out deer hunting, and not all ranges allow long range magnum cartridges. I was originally going to get another pistol, but now I'm wondering. I'll have $1100 total to play with.

Jim

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    In my opinion, I'd pass on the rifle. $500 and you get a used rifle that you can't even shoot right away. Did the previous owner keep an accurate round count? Did they clean it right? Optics, bi-pod, . . . I'd rather just get a pistol & some ammo and go shoot it. Just doesn't sound like you were specifically looking for (another?) long range rig.

So what kind of pistol were you thinking?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    nothing wrong with 300 win mag. certainly will give you more range over 308 or 30-06. very prevalent round with tons of ammo choices (vs the wildcats and the short mags). i think though you will have trouble finding a true long range scope (and base/rings) for $600 to keep you in your budget. i'm not aware of any outside public ranges that don't allow 300wm but there are plenty i haven't been to. maybe since it's used the shop will let you test it for accuracy before you buy it (or let you bring it back if it's not a shooter).

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Do you need a win mag... Depends, how often do you shoot long range? Past 800yards? Can you dope wind reasonably well? Do you handload?

If you don't shoot much long range, may be better served with a more versatile gun like say a .308win. A win mag is an expensive to shoot progression caliber, it is something id recommend moving into, and not learning the basics with.

A $500 left hand heavy barrel savage sounds like a good find though, once you make up your mind if you want it or not, I may be interested in it myself...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    See, I'd like to get into long range shooting. Of the 20 firearms I currently own, I don't have one with that purpose, and I'd love to do something like that. The longest I've shot is 500 yards, prone, bipod, glass, 6.8 SPC AR. I have not really had to battle wind when doing it. I realize the ammunition is expensive, which is why I reload. I've got plenty of options, rifle wise, from CQB to 500 yards. I think I can stretch the AR out to 600, maybe more since the hand load I use doesn't go trans-sonic until 800 yards. I don't think I'll be getting glass for the rifle soon, I figured I'll get the rifle and a better stock, some reloading supplies, and save up for the scope at a later date.

As for pistols, I currently own a Ruger Mark II, a Ruger SP101 in .357, a S&W 610, a CZ-75b in 9mm, a ParaOrdnance P-16-40, and a Kimber STII in 10mm. I think I have the pistol section covered.

Jim

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    If you are looking to get into the long range arena then that would be a good start without the 3k price tag of some rifles. If you decide that long range isn't for you then you aren't out that much.

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    Do it. Its nice when you fire the first round when the range is crowded, most people turn around and look at you with a wtf look on their face

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Do it. Its nice when you fire the first round when the range is crowded, most people turn around and look at you with a wtf look on their face

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

I get that sometimes with my deer gun. I think I'll get this, have the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake.

Jim

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've got a .308 semi-auto and a Rem 700 in 7mm-08. The only magnum I own is the SP 101 in .357. I fully expect that I'll either love this or hate this.

Jim

Nov 23, 2010
    i would question the quality of the gun for that price. if you want to get into long range shooting, you do not want to doubt any of your gear.
    im not saying spend 3k, but you probably want to know that your rifle is in good shape from the start.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    My weatherby is freaking awsome...and i sleep great at night knowing if the dinosaurs come back i can take em out

T rex steaks for everyone!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    300 Win Mag is straightforward to reload for. I load my bro's 300 Win Mag. The recoil and noise isnt bad like people say - I dont find shooting it too much more than an 30-06. Get a muzzlebrake - different story - Im sure it will be louder than hell. Im not a fan of any muzzlebrakes IMHO -especially if you plan on hunting with it. Muzzlebrakes pretty much just eliminate muzzleflip, and not always the recoil.

Price of factory 300 Win Mag ammo is not cheap -but since you handload - you can eliminate that factor, and you will be turning out better quality & more accurate ammo to boot. Lots of choice of bullets in the 30 calibers to chose from -another plus!

Shooting a 300 Win Mag @ 1000 yards - is really not going to be much different than shooting any other caliber at 1000 yards. The bullet will still drop, like a rock - and you will need to dope the wind. Bear in mind the size of a target for 1000 Yards shooting is quite large - your not going to hit the same target you use at 100 yards.

The 300 Win mag is a great game cartridge though. Good choice if you plan on getting into big game like Elk, and Bear. Also great for taking a long shot on whitetails, if your hunting envirmoent permits you to do so.

As far as the rifle - Im no fan of Savage Arms, but thats just my opinion. Every Savage that has gone through our family has pretty much been a cheap turd -so I stay away from them. But opinions are like assholes - everyones got one, and some stink.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Well, I'd get it because of the deal. But, to repeat what was already said, there aren't many places to shoot it around here. Heck, I had to drive 2.5hrs just to shoot 870yds with Ed Shell.

In any case, like the .338, I have a hard time justifying a 300WM because of the lack of places to shoot, the cost of shooting, and the punishment. I shot a 100rds of .308 last Saturday and I was quite sore. I can only imagine what 100rds of 300WM would do.

Having said that, I will have one eventually.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    If you do not have a place to really stretch out the range I would pass. You 7mm-08 will easily shoot to 600 or more with the proper scope. I have shot .270 Win (very similar ballistics to your 7-08) many times out to 800 yards with hits on steel. You do not need a magnum. Now if you WANT one that's a whole other story.....

Good luck

Jerry

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm talking to another member here about buying his, so I'll pass on the consignment gun. Since I live an hour or so from Central Virginia Tactical's school, I will be hitting them up for training.

Jim

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    The company I work for is coming through with some back pay. One of the local gun shops has a Savage, heavy barreled bolt rifle in .300 WinMag. Left hand bolt, looks like it would be a great setup for long range shooting. But do I really need a WinMag? It's used, it's $500, no scope, blind box mag, heavy. Not going to be carting this out deer hunting, and not all ranges allow long range magnum cartridges. I was originally going to get another pistol, but now I'm wondering. I'll have $1100 total to play with.

Jim

check my signature ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom