• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elemenop

Jun 23, 2012
    So back on June 5th, I bought 2 stripped lowers online and had them shipped to my FFL. They arrived safely a few days later and I filled out paperwork on June 9th. The nice gentleman that was working told me since I am not a designated collector, I could still buy both lowers but I need to wait 60 days from the day they are released to me in order to buy something else.

Fine...

So I'm at Continental Arms about a week ago and was looking at some stuff... I mentioned to the girl that I bought the two lowers and can't buy anything for 60 days. She quickly responded that is no longer accurate. She said "with the way the law is now, I can make a purchase every 7 days if I want". I'm all for that since I'd love a new glock 17, but I don't want to wait 4 months just to be told I can't pick it up.

Anyone know what the deal is?

I really appreciate your help!

Scott

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So back on June 5th, I bought 2 stripped lowers online and had them shipped to my FFL. They arrived safely a few days later and I filled out paperwork on June 9th. The nice gentleman that was working told me since I am not a designated collector, I could still buy both lowers but I need to wait 60 days from the day they are released to me in order to buy something else.

You were given correct information.

So I'm at Continental Arms about a week ago and was looking at some stuff... I mentioned to the girl that I bought the two lowers and can't buy anything for 60 days. She quickly responded that is no longer accurate. She said "with the way the law is now, I can make a purchase every 7 days if I want". I'm all for that since I'd love a new glock 17, but I don't want to wait 4 months just to be told I can't pick it up.

She's "uninformed". See this thread, http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=129375. Consider yourself warned.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    You buying it would not be a crime, and if all she said was that you could buy a gun every 7 days if you wanted to - that is technically true. If she was specifically referring to you being able to take possession every 7 days, then that would be the crime, and you would be in trouble.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You buying it would not be a crime, and if all she said was that you could buy a gun every 7 days if you wanted to - that is technically true. If she was specifically referring to you being able to take possession every 7 days, then that would be the crime, and you would be in trouble.

Good points. While he can buy as many as he wants as often as he wants, he can only receive one every 30 days (or two at the same time every 60 days) without designated collector status.

OP, are you asking in relation to Oct 1st?

So what happens if I believed them and bought it?

Nothing if you only pay for it. Picking it up sooner than 60 days after you pick up the other two is what's illegal. Doesn't matter at the second shop you visited since they don't do early release. You'll be waiting for 4-5 months and you'll need the HQL if it's a handgun.

elemenop

Jun 23, 2012
    perfect. So as long as 60 days passes from the time I pick up my first purchase to the time I pick up my last purchase, I'm good?

jaybee

Ultimate Member

interesting thought

the 30 day possesion law does not change with on time releasing

so if you have two items in limbo land and you're not a DC and you don't pick up your first item this month --- you are screwed

sound right?
    :sad20:

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    perfect. So as long as 60 days passes from the time I pick up my first purchase to the time I pick up my last purchase, I'm good?

Yes. Don't forget needing the HQL on Oct 1st for picking up handguns. No HQL needed to pick up banned (previously-regulated) long guns you bought prior to Oct 1st.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    so if you have two items in limbo land and you're not a DC and you don't pick up your first item this month --- you are screwed

sound right?
    :sad20:

If it's a handgun, then yes. MSP doesn't even have a process in place yet to apply for an HQL. Who knows how long processing HQL applications will take and how long after that until you receive it.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Yep. Even more so if the handgun includes magazines greater than 10 rounds.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe there are any issues with taking possession of a 10+ round mag before your gun. If you ask the dealer, they could give those to you. You have already paid for them, after all.

Morpheus

Apr 18, 2013
    DON'T BUY FROM THERE!!!! They will not release your firearm on time, and you will certainly need the HQL to pickup anything bought from there as of mid May. Just was thinking about my 5/13 purchase.. Got me reading sb281 again. I am not a lawyer but I feel my interpretation is accurate.
    •HQL is required for ALL handguns received after 10/1 as the AG letter clearly states.
    •HQL is a process which may take more than 90 days
    •The 77r (State Firearms Form) is only valid for 90 days from ND
    •After 90 days new 77r must be submitted

I interpret this scenario:
    Person A makes a purchase on 5/13 and it is not from a timely release dealer. paperwork comes back after 10/1 so the HQL will be required for pickup. The person for whatever reason cannot obtain HQL within that time. (System not set up/ backlog etc. ) this person will now have to jump in line again and wait for MSP ND after acquiring HQL.
    Seems to be accurate? Anyone?
    GO TO AN ON TIME RELEASE DEALER!!!!!!!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Did she said "regulated" firearm or just gun? Heck, you can buy a new rifle or shotgun 4 or 5 at a time every day without having to worry. One every 7 days without a problem. lol

All kidding aside, you are only allowed to "purchase" one regulated firearm every 30 days. Currently, the MSP views actual delivery of the firearm to the purchase the "purchase". So, one must wait 30 days after taking possession of a regulated firearm to take possession of another regulated firearm. The exception being the 2 regulated firearms submitted on the same Form 77r. However, after taking possession of those two you have to wait 60 days to take possession of another regulated firearm.

As far as Continental Firearms is concerned, it is my understanding that at this time it is not releasing on-time. It is waiting for the MSP to provide it with a Not Disapproved before releasing regulated firearms to customers, which is about a 120 day wait at this time.

You really need to head over to the Maryland 2nd Amendment forum and do some reading over there. Kind of late to the party, but there is still some things you can do before October 1, 2013 (e.g., Verifiable Purchase Order, layaway plans with a Form 77r submitted prior to October 1, 2013).

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I may be wrong, but I don't believe there are any issues with taking possession of a 10+ round mag before your gun. If you ask the dealer, they could give those to you. You have already paid for them, after all.

I agree. Nothing wrong with that, unless the dealer is a total a-hole and refuses to give you the mags early.

Daniel87

Jan 10, 2013
    Phoenix, MD
    Im a little confused. I thought the law was one purchase every 30 days? I purchased a lower on August 5th, Still has not been released to me. I was under the impression that on September 5th I am allowed to go purchase another regulated firearm? is this not the case!? otherwise i cant get another AR before october 1st?

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Receiving one every 30 days, not buying. You can buy as many as you want as often as you want and pick one up every 30 days from now until kingdom come. Now is the time to buy the AR (non-HBAR), since banned guns are exempted on Oct 1st IF you buy them before Oct 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom