• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    I would encourage all to make a stink about this, even at doctor offices.

The message has to go up the chain of command in monthly meetings or whenever, customers are unhappy.

I once told a doctor office that I refused to give them my SSN, they accepted it and simply knew that they need to tell the Insurance company that they didn't have my SSN. They had to take the long route.

So what.

I don't want to make 2,000 phone calls over the next 10 years and write 248 letters - to clear my name.

TysonDad2012

Mar 7, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I work at Wal-mart, and believe me, I don't want your social security numbers anymore than you wanna give em. I let the customer type it in, and send it to the next screen.

My thing is, the last thing I need is for something to come up, and someone being like "the last person I gave it to was the guy at wal-mart," then I'm all kinds of screwed. I don't need that drama.

I don't feel like anyone needs to repeat it, nor give it out to strangers, in a walmart, where you never know who is around.

Just saying.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    My doctor's office has my SSN, and every time I go there, it's printed out on the visitation form... so wherever these forms end up, it's a virtual gold mine for anyone fishing for valid SSN's.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You could always pay a lawyer to steal a deceased person's SSN for you. If it's good enough for the POTUS, it's good enough for everyone.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I've bought my license for MD for the past 5 years even if I only got to hunt one day during the seasons. This year, between my wife losing her job, first kid on the way, and this BS from Annapolis, I'm going to skip hunting I think (unless duck fever gets me) to try to send a small message down to annapolis.

I'll still go buy my Fed Duck Stamp to support that particular activity. MD can suck it though.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Yeah Buzzsaw. I'm really torn about not hunting next year. I really did not appreciate the MOM email that came through their license system. I don't care how it happened it was wrong for DNR to not stand up against that. I do a LOT of DNR volunteer work including helping with deer mgmt. initiatives, and not just shooting the gun. I don't want to let the parks down but a message needs to be sent. Perhaps I will not help/hunt in the counties that are known supporters of SB281. I also want to hunt with only an AR next year to send a public message to those who see me out hunting.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    All You ever wanted to know about the subject...:sad20:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/service/compass_ssn.asp

Fred

Actually, this raises more questions than it answers. I'm not concerned about a man-in-the-middle attack, which https defends against, but rather how is the data protected on the servers? Are the SSNs used for a one-time lookup against some other database, or is DNR actually storing them along with the license information?

If DNR is storing them, what is the encryption, access controls, audit logging, etc.

Just seems like another attack vector for someone looking for identities...

TysonDad2012

Mar 7, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Actually, this raises more questions than it answers. I'm not concerned about a man-in-the-middle attack, which https defends against, but rather how is the data protected on the servers? Are the SSNs used for a one-time lookup against some other database, or is DNR actually storing them along with the license information?

If DNR is storing them, what is the encryption, access controls, audit logging, etc.

Just seems like another attack vector for someone looking for identities...

It's stored in a database, but it only shows up the last 4 on there. I show my customers that so that way they know that I'm not going to be able steal someone's identity.

As far as their encryption goes, I'm not entirely sure. Probably 128 bit.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Every office worker at the school acted as if I was some sort of delusional paranoid for my desire to keep my SSN confidential.

Born and raised in western PA; moved here for the jobs. Moved around a lot doing contract work.

It seems to be exclusively a NCA (National Capital Area) thing that your SSN should be on your forehead :mad54:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    The Fed has your SSN
    The State has your SSN
    The County has your SSN
    The bank has your SSN
    The CC comp. have your SSN
    Your Medicare number is your SSN
    Everybody has your SSN
    I was in the Military when they changed from your RA/US number to your SSN in the 60s.
    SSNs are easy to find for just about anybody. What's the big deal? Your SSN ain't a secret. Hasn't been for years.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    I spoke to the Secretary's liaison the other day. The way I understand it, this is a Federal requirement. However, she indicated to me that they were working on a new system that would require your drivers license/id card number instead. Based on the conversation, it sounds like it'll be in place in a year or less.

janxster

Sep 15, 2012
    I noticed a couple years ago too and thought it sucked not to mention $70 to fishing. I'm that leaves the SSN fields blank on any form I can. Especially dr's. If you pay with credit they got all they need.

Bigrascal

Sep 7, 2012
    Chase
    Get your fishing license in VA. It's good in the WHOLE bay and the online form I didn't see a place for ssn....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom