• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I have a serious issue with that one. I hear what they are saying on the safety aspect. Is that a real issue?

Muzzleloader may be transported so long as they aren’t primed. Crossbows today, the same so long as there is no bolt on it.

Unloading most crossbows (safely) requires you to also carry a discharge bag and shoot the bolt in to the discharge bag. It’s extra wear and tear on the crossbow. It is one thing it it was at the end of the hunting day. But if you end up driving around to a few spots that gets to be a lot more onerous discharging and recocking a crossbow several times.

I mean, are they going to legally mandate traps not be armed in vehicles too? What about mouse traps? Am I not allowed to
    Have any compressed springs in my vehicle?

Honestly it sounds stupider and stupider the more I think about it.

Also modern technology makes decocking modern crossbows safer? Which crossbows? I am aware of a few that have decockers. Neither of mine do. The vast majority of brand new ones I’ve seen don’t. Is the state going to require hunters only use crossbows with decockers? Because the ones I am aware of that have decockers are also like $800 crossbows.

I just used to carry one of these and fire it into the ground before I got a decocking cross bow

https://www.feradyne.com/crossbow-release-bolt/

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I thought the crossbow rule was already the rule.

I don't understand, people are transporting a cocked, unloaded crossbow? I guess you have never experienced bumping something and having it misfire? Happens. The string is under a lot of tension and can break if you bump the cams. Ask me how I know. Also as Macrotech archery about it, they get a lot repair business.

Carry an arrow and a bag to discharge it. I mean yeah, every time you fire the crossbow you wear it a little. Nothing compared to what will happen if you dry fire it because you hit a pothole.

If you have one with a crank you can usually decock your crossbow without firing it.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I thought the crossbow rule was already the rule.

I don't understand, people are transporting a cocked, unloaded crossbow? I guess you have never experienced bumping something and having it misfire? Happens. The string is under a lot of tension and can break if you bump the cams. Ask me how I know. Also as Macrotech archery about it, they get a lot repair business.

Carry an arrow and a bag to discharge it. I mean yeah, every time you fire the crossbow you wear it a little. Nothing compared to what will happen if you dry fire it because you hit a pothole.

If you have one with a crank you can usually decock your crossbow without firing it.

There's no excuse for "de-cocking" an(older) cross gun by shooting it. If you don't own a cocking string, you are truly a caveman. De-cock using your cocking string. It's a one-handed operation.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    There's no excuse for "de-cocking" an(older) cross gun by shooting it. If you don't own a cocking string, you are truly a caveman. De-cock using your cocking string. It's a one-handed operation.

A string?? I hope you don't mean the rope pulley. I saw a guy blow his limbs on a $700 crossbow doing that because he couldn't hold on.

People should do whatever their manufacturer recommends. Crossbows vary a lot and there are various devices.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    A string?? I hope you don't mean the rope pulley. I saw a guy blow his limbs on a $700 crossbow doing that because he couldn't hold on.

People should do whatever their manufacturer recommends. Crossbows vary a lot and there are various devices.
    Jebus!
    Then he shouldn't have had a xbow. Hopefully he remembered to remove the bolt before letting down. That could have gotten messy real fast.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I can’t with either of mine. It would be a three handed operation. Both have a safety and you cannot release the string without a bolt on it.

Even if I am fairly confident I can hold the cocking rope pulley without slipping one handed, I’ve got a bolt pointed straight at my foot, that I’d then need to immediately remove after releasing the string while still holding it rope pulley.

Really not possible with either of my crossbows. Not safely anyway.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Just wait until a week before rifle season and someone is bow hunting and 4 rifle hunters start lugging in their stands through the woods. That'll go over as well as someone being in your stand when you go to hunt it. As to everyone complaining about decoking the crossbow. Decoking bolts are cheap and re stringing crossbows as a maintenance is supposed to be done around every 2 years anyways. Not sure what the big fuss is all about.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I can’t with either of mine. It would be a three handed operation. Both have a safety and you cannot release the string without a bolt on it.

Even if I am fairly confident I can hold the cocking rope pulley without slipping one handed, I’ve got a bolt pointed straight at my foot, that I’d then need to immediately remove after releasing the string while still holding it rope pulley.

Really not possible with either of my crossbows. Not safely anyway.

Same hear, mine will not fire without the nock pushing the safety up. So I have a arrow with a target point and a target bag under the seat.

Then you cut an old bolt down to a harmless length(maybe 4"), insert it to bypass the dry fire mech and lower the string down. And just incase something goes wrong, you can take a piece of 2x4 about a foot and a half long, put a notch near one end for the bow stirrup, and simply stand on the 2x4 as you slowly let the string down. ;)

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Georgia has the discussion often regarding stands left and first come first served.

FCFS is based on the day of the hunt. No fixed stands allowed on public land. All stands must be removed on last day of hunt. Also get their shorts in a knot over trail markers, especially flagging tape. Which is generally viewed as litter.

Folks there seem to get butt hurt if you park and access on the same trailhead. Like on a mile long trail, there’s only room for 1 person to hunt.

Public land access can bring out the worst in more than a few people.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Yeah,, the asshats already want to start a fight because you are hunting in "Their Spot"
    Letting them legally leave a stand will make them think they own it and can be handed down, generation to generation.

That should prevent any conflicts. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom