• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Aray
    I respect your answer but i must disagree with you. The open carry lawsuit going on now in CA by Charles Nichols is and was opposed by the NRA See this post http://newsblaze.com/business/legal/where-is-the-nras-california-open-carry-lawsuit_59694/

They lied then and when I have asked reps within the past year from the NRA I was told that they oppose open carry.. Who knows mabe they might change their tune only to make them look good but in my book all they want is your $$$. For your info I live here in Silver Spring, MD not far from their HQ at all. I disagree with you about this sir...

Thanks for the respectful tone of your reply. And in turn, please note that I'm affording you the same respect. My comments below are directed at someone else, not you. Please take no personal offense, as none is intended.

I can't speak to your own personal experience since I wasn't there to observe what was said by both parties so I'll just let that go. However the only written source you cited was from Charles Nichols, self-appointed president of California Right To Carry. Indeed the best I could tell California Right to Carry consists of exactly one person: Charles Nichols. He has a blog, and a facebook page, but no web site I could find. He writes:

It should be obvious to even a blind man by now that the NRA is the largest, most powerful proponent of gun-control in the Nation. The Second Amendment Foundation is the second largest supporter of gun-control and, in California, the NRA’s state organization (the California Rifle and Pistol Association) and the CalGuns.nuts Foundation are the two largest supporters here.

The NRA is a gun control organization? The Second Amendment Foundation is a gun control organization? The California Rifle and Pistol Association is a gun control organization, as is CalGuns?

I should probably stop right there with a recommendation that you find a more credible source. I think I could end with QED and walk away at this point. But I'll add a bit more.

On Nichols' facebook page under About he also lists other supposed gun control organizations such as: Gun Owners of America, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc., Monumental Rifle & Pistol Club, Illinois State Rifle Association, New York Rifle & Pistol Association, Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, Inc., Hawaii Rifle Association, Gun Owners Foundation, Virginia Gun Owners Coalition, Virginia Citizens Defense League Inc., Virginia Shooting Sports Association, etc.

All of these are gun control organizations according to Charles Nichols. Is there anyone on the planet who is not gun control other than Charles Nichols, according to Charles Nichols? Quite frankly, the guy sounds like a real nut job.

But I think I found the source of his wrath; he spells it out quite clearly on his blog. It seems he filed a one-man lawsuit, Nichols v. Brown, against California's open carry ban, and is mad that the NRA wouldn't fund, if not join, him in his suit. Quite frankly I'm hardly surprised. The NRA has to pick its battles of course, and for quite certain they don't want their name associated with someone who appears to be, if not is, a wingnut.

And while his wrath is evident in his writings, claiming the NRA is all about money but is really a closet gun control group, he in fact is all over the place asking for money himself. Indeed he's the opposite of shy about that, to the point of being absurd. On his blog, reading from top to bottom on the left column, and I quote:

Donate via Visa/MC/AMEX
    Donate via Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover or e-check
    Donate via PayPal
    Secure Donations by PayPal
    Donate via PayPal
    Donate via Visa/MC/AMEX
    Donate via PayPal
    Donate via PayPal

I'm not making this up; it's there for all to read for themselves. And if that weren't enough on the right hand column we see, top to bottom, and I quote again:

DONATE BITCOINS
    Donate via Visa/MC/AMEX
    Donate via PayPal
    Donate via PayPal
    DONATE BITCOINS

Contrast this one-man crusade with all that the NRA and the SAF have done on behalf of many gun issues in general and open carry in particular. I've already cited the many articles in America's 1st Freedom supporting open carry, and I gave you a link to one of many cases where the NRA was involved in the state legislative bodies working for open carry. There are many more. You can google them for yourself. They're not hard to find.

For me, I'll take the proven legislative track record of the NRA and the proven judicial track record of the SAF over the words of this one-man-band any day. My prediction is he'll lose his lawsuit, in so doing establish bad precedent, but he'll go to his grave blaming everyone on the planet except himself.

Do as you please with respect to NRA membership, but I strongly recommend you find a more credible source.

Well there. Now I've done it. Tomorrow I'll probably be listed by name as a gun control freak by Mr. Nichols himself. :lol2: Well at least I'm in good company...

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    THIS.

I posted this in another thread.
    At 1:55:
    "I just came from a meeting today in the situation room.
    In which I’ve got people who we know have been on ISIL websites, livin’ here in the United States, US citizens
    And we’re allowed to put them on the no-fly list when it comes to airlines.
    (Pointing finger) But because of the National Rifle Association I cannot prohibit those people from buying a gun!
    (Stammer stammer…)"

[YT]LSEoVkl0W30[/YT]

Gun owners to Obama... "LIAR!" :mad54:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Thanks for the respectful tone of your reply. And in turn, please note that I'm affording you the same respect. My comments below are directed at someone else, not you. Please take no personal offense, as none is intended.

I can't speak to your own personal experience since I wasn't there to observe what was said by both parties so I'll just let that go. However the only written source you cited was from Charles Nichols, self-appointed president of California Right To Carry. Indeed the best I could tell California Right to Carry consists of exactly one person: Charles Nichols. He has a blog, and a facebook page, but no web site I could find. He writes:

The NRA is a gun control organization? The Second Amendment Foundation is a gun control organization? The California Rifle and Pistol Association is a gun control organization, as is CalGuns?

I should probably stop right there with a recommendation that you find a more credible source. I think I could end with QED and walk away at this point. But I'll add a bit more.

On Nichols' facebook page under About he also lists other supposed gun control organizations such as: Gun Owners of America, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc., Monumental Rifle & Pistol Club, Illinois State Rifle Association, New York Rifle & Pistol Association, Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, Inc., Hawaii Rifle Association, Gun Owners Foundation, Virginia Gun Owners Coalition, Virginia Citizens Defense League Inc., Virginia Shooting Sports Association, etc.

All of these are gun control organizations according to Charles Nichols. Is there anyone on the planet who is not gun control other than Charles Nichols, according to Charles Nichols? Quite frankly, the guy sounds like a real nut job.

But I think I found the source of his wrath; he spells it out quite clearly on his blog. It seems he filed a one-man lawsuit, Nichols v. Brown, against California's open carry ban, and is mad that the NRA wouldn't fund, if not join, him in his suit. Quite frankly I'm hardly surprised. The NRA has to pick its battles of course, and for quite certain they don't want their name associated with someone who appears to be, if not is, a wingnut.

And while his wrath is evident in his writings, claiming the NRA is all about money but is really a closet gun control group, he in fact is all over the place asking for money himself. Indeed he's the opposite of shy about that, to the point of being absurd. On his blog, reading from top to bottom on the left column, and I quote:

Donate via Visa/MC/AMEX
    Donate via PayPal
    Donate via PayPal
    Donate via Visa/MC/AMEX
    Donate via PayPal
    Donate via PayPal

I'm not making this up; it's there for all to read for themselves. And if that weren't enough on the right hand column we see, top to bottom, and I quote again:

DONATE BITCOINS
    Donate via Visa/MC/AMEX
    Donate via PayPal
    Donate via PayPal
    DONATE BITCOINS

Contrast this one-man crusade with all that the NRA and the SAF have done on behalf of many gun issues in general and open carry in particular. I've already cited the many articles in America's 1st Freedom supporting open carry, and I gave you a link to one of many cases where the NRA was involved in the state legislative bodies working for open carry. There are many more. You can google them for yourself. They're not hard to find.

For me, I'll take the proven legislative track record of the NRA and the proven judicial track record of the SAF over the words of this one-man-band any day. My prediction is he'll lose his lawsuit, in so doing establish bad precedent, but he'll go to his grave blaming everyone on the planet except himself.

Do as you please with respect to NRA membership, but I strongly recommend you find a more credible source.

Well there. Now I've done it. Tomorrow I'll probably be listed by name as a gun control freak by Mr. Nichols himself. :lol2: Well at least I'm in good company...

Very well stated... We need to know the source in these matters. The Internet is rife with posers and crusading loons who "sound" believable. Mr. Nichols can add me to his "list" as well... I don't mind being the enemy of trolls, moles and A-holes... It only serves to place me in company with other good company.

The NRA is a far more credible source than Mr. Nichol's innerwebz company of one.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    He ridicules most of the 2A organizations and Gura as well. He's a bright guy but his hubris and abrasive personality turns many people off.

me included.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've often wondered at the need for lifetime membership. You will still be constantly bombarded for requests for more donations. You will also be asked to join the higher levels of membership: Endowment, Patron and Benefactor levels. Not to mention their willingness to provide help in setting up your estate so that a healthy part will go to the NRA after you have died.

I'm an NRA life member and I am surprised how LITTLE they ask me for more money.

That said, the NRA is doing a great job protecting our most important constitutional right.

ejholt

Feb 6, 2013
    A year or so ago I had a family member get the lifetime membership for 350.00, NRA told that family member that they would offer that discount to any other family member if they called in! Needless to say, I too got my lifetime membership for 350.00!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Once you make Benefactor, they only bother you once or twice a year to be a Ring of Freedom member.

I've been a life member for a long time and I don't remember opting out on anything. I never get a call, email, or mail asking for money. I do however send them a check once a year, so maybe that's it.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I've been a life member for a long time and I don't remember opting out on anything. I never get a call, email, or mail asking for money. I do however send them a check once a year, so maybe that's it.

Now that you mention it, I gifted a Life membership to my wife when I was in Afghanistan and she's never had any offer to upgrade.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I think I have one more payment on my Benefactor plan, then I get a hokey backpack that will no doubt end up as karma here.

If it's the same back pack I was given... It's actually a very nice bag. Lots of room for laptop, [deleted :cool:], extra clothes etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom