• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    After months of saving and looking for a house, we kind of gave up temporarily. I had money burning a virtual hole in my bank account's pocket, so I freed up some of it and bought a Dillon XL650.

I tried loading some .223 last night and was disappointed to find the cases were spilling powder as the shell plate indexed. As the plate hit the roller ball, it snaps into it's indexed position, causing spillage. Going fast or slow it does this.

I went online to search for answers.

-One fix was to cut a half a coil off of the ball detent spring and grease the underside of the plate.
    -Another was to tighten the plate bolt just to the point of restricting movement, then backing off a hair.
    -Another said to hold back pressure the shell as it indexed.
    -One hit came from right here on MDS, but the thread was abandoned after a few responses.
    -The most promising was an aftermarket needle bearing kit to add under the plate bolt.

I tried the first two and it helped a bit, but it still spills a lot of powder.

The prevalency of the topic on the web and Dillons own forum was kind of alarming. You'd think they'd have a better answer or a fix for it.

Anyone here experience this and have a tried and true fix for the issue?

I'd hate to think I've spent that much money on a powder catapult.:o

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I may be Master of the Obvious but have you called Dillon? They are supposed to have great customer service.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I may be Master of the Obvious but have you called Dillon? They are supposed to have great customer service.

I will, but I hate to sit on hold just to be told to send something in for repair at cost to me.

As common as this problem seems to be, no one seems to have a real fix for it. Dillon's own site forum seems to be referring people to an aftermarket part.

I was hoping someone here would have an actual fix before I go through the rigmarole of phone trees, on hold music and "try this - try that" troubleshooting.

There were hundreds of threads on this and another common issue with the powder measures being rough and needing polished up to drop powder consistently. I'd just be happy to have the powder already in the case, stay there.

Longhammer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 23, 2009
    STOP! the whole thing is dangerous. I will be right over to pick it up.

Good luck with the issue

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Well, I gave in and called Dillon. After being on hold for a while, a human did pick up and we went through the entire troubleshooting process.

I ended up cutting another coil from the roller ball spring and things are settling down.:thumbsup: There is still a bit of powder on the shellplate, but nothing like what it was.

It does confirm my belief that any homebrew match-type ammo should be done on a single stage. I for one, will continue to do it that way.

It was nice to spend a few minutes, as opposed to a few hours pushing out blasting ammo.:D

I have another pressing (honk-honk) question about lubing cases, but that's another thread.

Teaser: Dillon gave a craaaaazy answer.:eek:

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    After months of saving and looking for a house, we kind of gave up temporarily. I had money burning a virtual hole in my bank account's pocket, so I freed up some of it and bought a Dillon XL650.

I tried loading some .223 last night and was disappointed to find the cases were spilling powder as the shell plate indexed. As the plate hit the roller ball, it snaps into it's indexed position, causing spillage. Going fast or slow it does this.

I went online to search for answers.

-One fix was to cut a half a coil off of the ball detent spring and grease the underside of the plate.
    -Another was to tighten the plate bolt just to the point of restricting movement, then backing off a hair.
    -Another said to hold back pressure the shell as it indexed.
    -One hit came from right here on MDS, but the thread was abandoned after a few responses.
    -The most promising was an aftermarket needle bearing kit to add under the plate bolt.

I tried the first two and it helped a bit, but it still spills a lot of powder.

The prevalency of the topic on the web and Dillons own forum was kind of alarming. You'd think they'd have a better answer or a fix for it.

Anyone here experience this and have a tried and true fix for the issue?

I'd hate to think I've spent that much money on a powder catapult.:o
    The after market needle bearing kit is over rated/marketed. I bought one for reloading 9mm and the adjustment process is painful. Never got it to work right. Now, I just put my finger on the case that was checked for proper powder amount and slow down the movement of the turret when it cycles. i think it either a wear problem or difficult adjustments. :tdown:

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The after market needle bearing kit is over rated/marketed. I bought one for reloading 9mm and the adjustment process is painful. Never got it to work right. Now, I just put my finger on the case that was checked for proper powder amount and slow down the movement of the turret when it cycles. i think it either a wear problem or difficult adjustments. :tdown:

Yeah, I torqued the shellholder pretty tight and do the same as you do with holding the shell. It's almost natural...you want to put your finger on the shell while it turns anyway to steady the bullet as you put it on the case.

I had a much better experience this last time around.

I forgot you had a few of them.:o

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    As you already know, the additional tension on the shell plate by way of the center bolt will help greatly. I also let my left hand (bullet placing hand) ride on the case as it's indexing. The other recommendation would be to have a smooth and consistent motion when operating the handle. I hope that makes sense, if you're playing with setup it should. Dillon customer service has always been very helpful too.
    Good luck and you made a good decision on the press, be careful and enjoy.
    Hornady fanboys will surely be along soon to comment about the virtues of the "red" press.
    Feel free to PM if I can be of any further help, my press has been cranking out quality ammo for 13-14 years.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Thanks.:thumbsup:

I'm about to try out some .45 ACP with flake powder. I was concerned about the flake jamming the powder bar, but everyone says it's not an issue.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    LIAR!! Dillon presses were crafted by GOD'S OWN HAND and as such are FLAWLESS!!!! This is BLASPHEMY!!!

Actually there's a simple solution to your problem. Return your Dillon and buy a LnL-AP. :lol2:

OK, OK, ok... for real, sorry for the ribbing. Couldn't help myself. May I suggest BrianEnos forums? There's some folks over there who really know the Dillon presses inside & out and may be able to offer some suggestions.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    LIAR!! Dillon presses were crafted by GOD'S OWN HAND and as such are FLAWLESS!!!! This is BLASPHEMY!!!

Actually there's a simple solution to your problem. Return your Dillon and buy a LnL-AP. :lol2:

OK, OK, ok... for real, sorry for the ribbing. Couldn't help myself. May I suggest BrianEnos forums? There's some folks over there who really know the Dillon presses inside & out and may be able to offer some suggestions.

:lol:

Just loaded 100 rds of .45 and all went swimmingly.:D

Recoil45

Jul 29, 2011
    NY
    I just did the bearing upgrade. Shipping was reasonable at $4. It reduced but did not eliminate spillage on 9mm loads. All things considered it was worth it.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010

:lol: I was thinking it but I wasn't going to say it. I know it was said in jest but, it's worth noting that because the LNL indexes 1/10 of a turn at a time vs the 1/5 turn for the Dillon, the action is much smoother.

I would second the recommendation for the brianenos forums. Lot of great reloading info out there, particularly for Dillon.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    my fix ?

i use canned air to blow the powder off.

my .223 rounds killed hundreds of prarie dogs and plates and there is always a little powder on the bench when im done. just don't vacuum it up !

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I'd be a little concerned about how much or little powder is making it to, or staying in the cases. I don't know the recipe the OP is using, but what LOOKS like a little spill may be enough to result in a squibb, or at least crappy ammo...

This was my concern. I bought the Dillon to make better ammo. If I wanted to make crappy ammo I could have kept my old press and just spilled some powder out of each case on purpose.:D

Joking aside, things are pretty much ironed out now. and I'm a lot more satisfied with the last batch I loaded.:thumbsup:

I also thought caliber changes would be a snap. Wrong again. There are a lot of parts to swap out when you change caliber.:rolleyes:

Either way, the thing is built like a tank, so my Great-Great-Grandchildren will get to cuss at it someday as well.;)

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    caliber changes become easier as you become more familiar with the machine.

my ammo is sub moa ammo and i spill a little powder. *meh* the chrono can't tell them apart. i am dropping 25 grains into a bottleneck rifle case... its not going to spill enough to cause a squib.

and

i find a smooth stroke helps keep the powder in the case.

also, IMO, the biggest issue with the powder mess is the havoc it can cause in the priming system. the powder creates an awful mess in there and it requires taking the press apart to get it cleaned up.

so, i try to go smooth and give the shell plate a blast of air once in a while.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    Everyone take this as a lesson: ALL presses have their quirks. It's just a part of reloading.

It's normal to have a few flakes of powder here & there during the reloading process just like it's normal to see some brass dust in the same places. There's a difference between a few flakes here & there and spilling during the shell plate indexing though. Sounds like you've got it fixed but if it comes up again don't take short-cuts. Dillon has wonderful warranty service that you paid for when you bought the press. Make them earn it by letting them get your press to live up to the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom