Did We Under Estimate Alan Gotlieb? (Good)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    So a lot of people were calling for the Hangman's noose when CCRKBA endorsed Manchin-Toomney.

I now believe there is more to the story.

I believe Gotleib truly wants to do something about gun violence and thought the compromise was good. (We can debate that). I also believe Gotlieb is a smart man, (who also looks like Hercule Poirot.

But here's, in the words of Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

I think he knew, or suspected, that one of the anti-ideologes wouldn't be able to keep themselves from pissing in the punchbowl.

So Schumer pisses in the punch bowl, CCRKBA drops their support.

Gotlieb has thrown us a bone.

"Well, SAF, one of the largest organizations supported common sense compromise on gun control vs gun rights, but an ideological anti-2nd amendment Senator had to ruin it by placing his ideological dislike of the 2nd Amendment over the desire of the people for common sense solutions that respect the 2nd Amendment."

So my friends, will we take the bone, or piss it away like Romney did when Roberts threw him the Obamacare bone?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    That's a good point, I never looked at it that way. I think we all too often are too quick to judge the moves of individual pawns, and don't pay enough attention to the strategy.

But why post this at zero dark thirty when all but the most addicted of MDS members are asleep and will miss it? Lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    That's a good point, I never looked at it that way. I think we all too often are too quick to judge the moves of individual pawns, and don't pay enough attention to the strategy.

But why post this at zero dark thirty when all but the most addicted of MDS members are asleep and will miss it? Lol

Because some of us don't sleep much. With that said, I need to figure out what the original post means. This politics stuff is mind numbing sometimes.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    So a lot of people were calling for the Hangman's noose when CCRKBA endorsed Manchin-Toomney.

I now believe there is more to the story.

I believe Gotleib truly wants to do something about gun violence and thought the compromise was good. (We can debate that). I also believe Gotlieb is a smart man, (who also looks like Hercule Poirot.

But here's, in the words of Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

I think he knew, or suspected, that one of the anti-ideologes wouldn't be able to keep themselves from pissing in the punchbowl.

So Schumer pisses in the punch bowl, CCRKBA drops their support.

Gotlieb has thrown us a bone.

"Well, SAF, one of the largest organizations supported common sense compromise on gun control vs gun rights, but an ideological anti-2nd amendment Senator had to ruin it by placing his ideological dislike of the 2nd Amendment over the desire of the people for common sense solutions that respect the 2nd Amendment."

So my friends, will we take the bone, or piss it away like Romney did when Roberts threw him the Obamacare bone?

Point, Set, Match ...

Gottlieb is a shrewd person. What CCRKBA agreed to was "common sense" expanded background checks, but it also expanded 2A rights in the process. It was a calculated trap, and like gprimr1 suggests, it brought down the whole house of cards that Schumer and his ilk had built using Newtown as it's foundation.

While he appeared to be siding with the anti's, he did have a poison pill that they choked on.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    You don't get to where Alan Gotlieb is unless you're a very smart man. The instant he supported this, I knew it would fail. It's way of saying "but we supported common sense, why didn't you?"

I hope I never have to play poker with the man. Unless its for M&Ms.

A British tabloid reporter said Gotlieb was a 'stupid stupid man'.

:)

That right there is enough for me to consider him a genius. What the gun control crowd hates, we should be all over like white on rice.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    It the larger scope of public opinion, it does not matter because the MSM will not report anything remotely factual or objective.

That said, I don't think the legislation would have gone anywhere even without the poison pill for the libs.

A Half step of compromise is still a half step to hell.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Point, Set, Match ...

Gottlieb is a shrewd person. What CCRKBA agreed to was "common sense" expanded background checks, but it also expanded 2A rights in the process. It was a calculated trap, and like gprimr1 suggests, it brought down the whole house of cards that Schumer and his ilk had built using Newtown as it's foundation.

While he appeared to be siding with the anti's, he did have a poison pill that they choked on.

How is allowing us to get back some of what was stolen an expansion of 2A rights?

That is like saying that if you get back some stolen property it expanded your net worth.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    You don't get to where Alan Gotlieb is unless you're a very smart man. The instant he supported this, I knew it would fail. It's way of saying "but we supported common sense, why didn't you?"

That right there is enough for me to consider him a genius. What the gun control crowd hates, we should be all over like white on rice.

The bill he signed on to gave cover for Toomey, who maybe vulnerable on his left as well as his right after this. But I fear the hot heads on the right will leave him in the cold and we will actually be worse off after the next election, at least in pa.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

^^this

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    How is allowing us to get back some of what was stolen an expansion of 2A rights?

That is like saying that if you get back some stolen property it expanded your net worth.

Its politics. And this is how the game is played. The alternative is the court alone, and courts as we all know are very reluctant to go to far to fast. It was I think worth a shot. It also means that from now on its that much harder to paint him as a nut..

That alone can be useful.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The bill he signed on to gave cover for Toomey, who maybe vulnerable on his left as well as his right after this. But I fear the hot heads on the right will leave him in the cold and we will actually be worse off after the next election, at least in pa.

Good.

Toomey painted himself as a defender of rights. When he introduces a bill with the likes of Manchin, to restrict a little more while appearing to give back something is not worth it.

Maybe the next defender of liberty will take their promise seriously.

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis

Toomey isn't up for re-election until 2016. A lot can, and will, happen between now and then.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Good.

Toomey painted himself as a defender of rights. When he introduces a bill with the likes of Manchin, to restrict a little more while appearing to give back something is not worth it.

Maybe the next defender of liberty will take their promise seriously.

PA IS NOT TEXAS. The perfect is the enemy of the good, and the devil is in the details. At least learn the details before deciding. Pa is in play and we need it to move right, if possible. But not at the cost of forcing it to the left. ( here left and right are shorthand. Think Philly vs pa countryside.. They are facing an early version of what we have in MD. I have been looking at a second front in pa on this issue, but it looks like I am stretched too thin right now...

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    PA IS NOT TEXAS. The perfect is the enemy of the good, and the devil is in the details. At least learn the details before deciding. Pa is in play and we need it to move right, if possible. But not at the cost of forcing it to the left. ( here left and right are shorthand. Think Philly vs pa countryside.. They are facing an early version of what we have in MD. I have been looking at a second front in pa on this issue, but it looks like I am stretched too thin right now...

The difference between PA and MD is that there's a whole lot more PA countryside to balance out the PA cities than there is MD countryside to balance out the MD cities.

Pity.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The difference between PA and MD is that there's a whole lot more PA countryside to balance out the PA cities than there is MD countryside to balance out the MD cities.

Pity.

Perhaps, but those countrysides can only last so long.

One saving grace of PA is that Philly has developed railroad commuting to allow people to live in more ruel areas.

Still, we need to capitalize on this.

Someone should make an image of Gotleib endorsing the bill juxtaposed with Schumer destorying it.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013

Pity.

Yes but the early warning sign are there. Look at NJ OR NY 50 years ago an you will see pa. We need to educate people now.

But I digress .. Being from NYC I remember that nj used to have a hunting culture ... And farms. Hell in my fathers day the row house I grew up in and cant get rid of was a marsh and tidal estuary ... Really like a mini Chesapeake bay.... was called Jamaica bay....

Don't. Think pa will fall but we need to step up and warn those folks to stay on point and fight early and often..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom